View Poll Results: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make them illegal. They're harassment, not protected free speech

    32 47.76%
  • No, they should be legal. They're in bad taste, but they're legal.

    35 52.24%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 135

Thread: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post

    iLOL
    False. No scum there. Just a person who does something you do not like, so you instead label him negatively.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    I'm pretty sure someone could sue the site owner if they wanted to under current law.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    In case you're not familiar with the case, there was a web site run by a sleazy and unethical man named Hunter Moore in which people angry at their ex's would post nude photos of them against their will, photos that were originally intended to be private. They were photos that usually resulted from "sexting." Very often the victims of the unwanted uploads protested and tried to get their photos removed. Moore, predictably, refused. That site was called Isanyoneup. I can say that because it's since been taken down. Moore had been confronted by some of his victims and had always shirked responsibility with the line, "I didn't upload those photos. Someone else did." Yeah, but you set up the site that encouraged them to. Fortunately, his site is now gone. He chose to get rid of it, maybe because of pressure or guilt or legal threats. I'm not sure. That's the good news. The bad news is someone else put up the same kind of site to replace it. I won't say that site's name. The twist with the new site is it includes a link to a "lawyer" that can help them get their photos removed. Of course it's not a real lawyer. It's just the site owner getting people to pay hundreds of dollars to get the photos removed that belong to them anyway and that they never authorized being published.

    The poll is whether it should be illegal to put up revenge porn sites like this. "Yes" means they should be made illegal. "No" means they should be legal.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    They aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I believe libel and slander laws should not be exempted from the Internet.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    I would think it's harassment. According to the definition below, I wonder if this could even fit into the definition of sexual harassment. I don't know how this guy is getting away with this.

    Here is the legal definition:

    harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious. Such activities may be the basis for a lawsuit if due to discrimination based on race or sex, a violation on the statutory limitations on collection agencies, involve revenge by an ex-spouse, or be shown to be a form of blackmail ("I'll stop bothering you, if you'll go to bed with me"). The victim may file a petition for a "stay away" (restraining) order, intended to prevent contact by the offensive party. A systematic pattern of harassment by an employee against another worker may subject the employer to a lawsuit for failure to protect the worker. (See: harass, sexual harassment)

  5. #55
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    in the US free speech is heavily tied to the idea that the content has some political or social value.
    Weak argument.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    It's simple. If you don't want your photo or video potentially uploaded to the Internet, don't get photos or videos done. I went and looked at a couple of sites because I wasn't aware of them and from what most descriptions said, they were uploaded because the girlfriend cheated on them. While I don't condone uploading private videos, I also don't condone cheating. If one hadn't been done, the other likely wouldn't have been done.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #57
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    You calling him such does not make him such.
    Granted, that's a subjective judgement. It's not an exact science like physics. However, most people agree with me. It's also subjective judgement that pedophiles are scum, and most agree that they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Sharing the photo with another is not "intending them to be private".
    Once you give it away, it is a gift for the other to do as they please with it.
    Nonsense. That's not how copyright law works. I work as a photographer and therefore am well versed in digital copyright. Even without any written contract, an image belongs to the person who took the picture. Most of these images were taken by the nude person herself. Often they're sent with text to the effect of "for your eyes only." I was in a relationship in which the guy asked me to sext him a picture. He assured me I could trust him and that he would never show the photos to anyone else. Fortunately, I refused. We had a nasty breakup a few months later and he hated me so much that he vandalized my car. Imagine what he would have done if he had had nude photos of me. I'm very, very glad I didn't sext him any. If I had, the copyright would have belonged to me, but I'd doubt he would have cared about that law.

    Other photos on the site were taken in secret via hidden cameras. That's a severe violation of privacy. If it's not illegal, it should be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Hyperbolic nonsense. He didn't shirk responsibility.
    The responsibility falls on the person who submitted the photo and the person who gave it as a gift in the first place.
    Uh ... no. He created the web site. He's responsible for the consequences of its existence. If one of the users of his site violates copyright law, he has a duty to remove the offending material.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Got evidence that it is just the site owner?
    Actually, yes. The "lawyer" page is actually on the same site. They didn't even bother to set up a fake lawyer URL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No, not really, because the photo was freely given in the first place.
    First, not all the photos were freely given. Some were the result of hidden cameras. Second, those that were freely given are owned by the woman or man who took the photo of themself. That's how copyright law works. You take a photo. You own it. No contract is necessary for that law to be in effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    There was trust when it was given, but that had long passed, especially since the photos were of people who violated that trust in the first place by hurting the submitter of the photo. Hence the term "revenge".
    Bad breakups are a part of life. They hurt, I know. I've been there. However, the fact that your feelings are hurt does not give you the legal right to violate copyright law. And ethically, it shows your character as a person if you choose to take revenge against someone you once loved instead of moving on and working to make your life better.

  8. #58
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Weak argument.
    It only speaks directly to your misunderstanding of the issue, as it is applied by the courts. So, yes, in that sense, it is very weak ...

  9. #59
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Nonsense. That's not how copyright law works. I work as a photographer and therefore am well versed in digital copyright. Even without any written contract, an image belongs to the person who took the picture. Most of these images were taken by the nude person herself. Often they're sent with text to the effect of "for your eyes only."
    Yep. If the owner of the website posted it as part of a for-profit endeavor, he could very well be sued civilly.

    I'm not sure what penalties the ex-bf would face, considering that he didn't intent to make money from submitting the photo. (Presuming he was paid nothing) Maybe fraud for claiming that he had the right to give the website owner the right to publish.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    don't use blanket bans to target particular abuses. It's like banning the Ford Focus because drunk people slam them into children.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •