View Poll Results: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make them illegal. They're harassment, not protected free speech

    32 47.76%
  • No, they should be legal. They're in bad taste, but they're legal.

    35 52.24%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 135

Thread: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

  1. #31
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    The woman (or man in some cases) makes the choice to send these pictures to the other individual. Unless there is a contract or any other binding legal document the picture is now property of the receiver, just as much as it is the sender. Sending photos like this is a choice, and therefore the receiver has the choice to do whatever he/ she feels needed. Don't want to end up on the internet, don't send them. Simple as that.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    That is not the issue at all. The question is whether I can secretly put a video camera in your bedroom and then upload the video onto that website. CONSENT of the recorded party is not a requirement of the website. The "victim" didn't allow anything.

    Per the website practice, if I knew your address I could plant a video camera in your bedroom and later upload whatever I recorded, regardless of whether I had consent of either of you. Since I could upload it anonymously, you would not any recourse against me. Because of unique federal law that ONLY protects the Internet and not any other publication method, there is nothing you could do about it.

    In those videos, I could put video up of you using or smoking dope, any crap talk you said about others - about your parents, spouse, GF/BF, children, boss, other people - maybe catch you masterbating to put online FOREVER - and anything else done and said in your house. While I as a 3rd party could be prosecuted IF you can prove I did it, how are you going to do that? And even if somehow you did, those videos would still be there forever. You'll never be president, will you?

    I could then post links to that video all over the internet and send letters, texts and emails to everyone you know of the video location only limited by how much time I cared to do so. So could then everyone else. And those videos - visual and audio - would be there forever.

    "Free speech?!"
    Yes you could. Of course, you could just post it on facebook, and even if they did then take it down, it would be out there, is facebook responsible for it or are you? Is the person running these kinds of websites sleaze-bags, I think so, but being one is not illegal. While I don't think they should be made illegal, I do think they should have to remove any photo/video and links to them where the ownership of rights to the photo/video are in question and only be allowed to repost the links, etc after legal rights to the material have been established. If the material in question resulted from something like you described, then the site should be required to release any information, under warrant from a court, to law enforcement.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #33
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    The sites only provide a venue, not content. If the material is copyrighted, then they have a legal obligation of remove it. If it is posted by the person who owns the rights to the photo, be it the individual pictured or the person that the individual in the picture gave it to, then the owner of the rights is free do with it what they want, even posting it on a public website.

    As to it being far worse for a woman, I don't see it. If a photo got out of some guy who is, shall we say, small in size and everyone who seen it started calling him tiny, I'm fairly certain it would be devastating to him. I know from experience that getting tagged with nicknames based upon your "size" can be terribly embarrassing, I still blush and stammer whenever someone who knew me back when refers to me as "meat" in front of women. I don't see that someone making a reference to a womans sexual attributes based upon a released photo is any different that what a man feels.
    What it means is that forever your wife will be seeing full length secretly taken video of you screwing other women and all your words of undying love to those women/other people, among other things - video you never consented to or know was being made.

    I do recall suicides where this was done to a couple college kids having gay sex via secret video planted in the room.

    There is still another aspect, this is EXTREMELY supportive of retaliatory violence by the "victim" who may not limit him/herself to videos. If some man posted videos of a woman he had sex with and secretly videoed - really only having sex with her to obtain the video for the purpose of humiliating her for some reason, and she shot him dead, I'd vote "temporary insanity" and give her a pass if I were on that jury - because I'd be glad that asshole was dead. Regardless, I can see such practices leading to violence and other counter retaliations.

    To the opposite, I believe MANY privacy-protections laws should be passed - both in relation to government and other people. Foremost, these should protect your privacy in your own residence.

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Who took the photo?

    Barring previous agreements otherwise, the moment the photo is taken the copyright of said photo belongs legally to the person who took it. Doesn't matter if they provided a copy to another person, they still own the photo. All they gave was a copy and publishing rights are not included. Just like you can't buy a music CD then think you have the right to broadcast said music on your new radio station. Given that money is being made off said photo, and most likely withOUT the appropriate and legal consent of the rights holder (person who submitted photo doesn't count), it is possible that civil damages could be sought.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    The sites only provide a venue, not content. If the material is copyrighted, then they have a legal obligation of remove it. If it is posted by the person who owns the rights to the photo, be it the individual pictured or the person that the individual in the picture gave it to, then the owner of the rights is free do with it what they want, even posting it on a public website.
    Websites are made to police other illegal content even if they're just providing a venue. YouTube takes down copyrighted material because if they didn't, the law would be breathing down their neck. 4Chan and Reddit take down child pornography because if they didn't, the law would be breathing down their neck. I don't see any reason we couldn't have the same kind of laws in place for "revenge porn," and put the onus on the website to police itself or be forcibly shut down.

    As to it being far worse for a woman, I don't see it. If a photo got out of some guy who is, shall we say, small in size and everyone who seen it started calling him tiny, I'm fairly certain it would be devastating to him. I know from experience that getting tagged with nicknames based upon your "size" can be terribly embarrassing, I still blush and stammer whenever someone who knew me back when refers to me as "meat" in front of women. I don't see that someone making a reference to a womans sexual attributes based upon a released photo is any different that what a man feels.
    Meh, I don't think occasional comments about "size" are really on par with what women go through. Guys generally don't have to worry about it affecting their employment or their reputation. A lot of women would be mortified to have nude pictures of themselves online because they could come back to haunt them, in a way that I think most guys (myself included) don't truly comprehend.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #36
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    In case you're not familiar with the case, there was a web site run by a sleazy and unethical man named Hunter Moore in which people angry at their ex's would post nude photos of them against their will, photos that were originally intended to be private. They were photos that usually resulted from "sexting." Very often the victims of the unwanted uploads protested and tried to get their photos removed. Moore, predictably, refused. That site was called Isanyoneup. I can say that because it's since been taken down. Moore had been confronted by some of his victims and had always shirked responsibility with the line, "I didn't upload those photos. Someone else did." Yeah, but you set up the site that encouraged them to. Fortunately, his site is now gone. He chose to get rid of it, maybe because of pressure or guilt or legal threats. I'm not sure. That's the good news. The bad news is someone else put up the same kind of site to replace it. I won't say that site's name. The twist with the new site is it includes a link to a "lawyer" that can help them get their photos removed. Of course it's not a real lawyer. It's just the site owner getting people to pay hundreds of dollars to get the photos removed that belong to them anyway and that they never authorized being published.

    The poll is whether it should be illegal to put up revenge porn sites like this. "Yes" means they should be made illegal. "No" means they should be legal.
    Nope. I have no problem with those sites at all. If you're stupid enough to pose nude in a photograph for your husband, your significant other, anyone? You sows whatcha' reap.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #37
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    The woman (or man in some cases) makes the choice to send these pictures to the other individual. Unless there is a contract or any other binding legal document the picture is now property of the receiver, just as much as it is the sender. Sending photos like this is a choice, and therefore the receiver has the choice to do whatever he/ she feels needed. Don't want to end up on the internet, don't send them. Simple as that.
    The website is specifically about photos and videos made secretly without consent. His is NOT the only "revenge site" and those include full sound video and specifically encourage secret video taping.

    This was Moore's perspective:

    “If somebody killed themselves over being on the site do you know how much money I’d make?” he said in an interview with Gawker. “At the end of the day, I do not want anybody to hurt themselves. But if they do? Thank you for the money.”
    Last edited by joko104; 11-04-12 at 02:03 PM.

  8. #38
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The website is specifically about photos and videos made secretly without consent.
    Well that changes morally what I think about it, though it does not effect how I feel the legality of it should be. Thanks for clarifying though.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    What it means is that forever your wife will be seeing full length secretly taken video of you screwing other women and all your words of undying love to those women/other people, among other things - video you never consented to or know was being made.

    I do recall suicides where this was done to a couple college kids having gay sex via secret video planted in the room.

    There is still another aspect, this is EXTREMELY supportive of retaliatory violence by the "victim" who may not limit him/herself to videos. If some man posted videos of a woman he had sex with and secretly videoed - really only having sex with her to obtain the video for the purpose of humiliating her for some reason, and she shot him dead, I'd vote "temporary insanity" and give her a pass if I were on that jury - because I'd be glad that asshole was dead. Regardless, I can see such practices leading to violence and other counter retaliations.

    To the opposite, I believe MANY privacy-protections laws should be passed - both in relation to government and other people. Foremost, these should protect your privacy in your own residence.
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

    I am referring to those photo/videos that were voluntarily participated in and you keep equating it to a potentially illegal activity. For the potentially illegal ones, I am all for taking down the site if they do not only remove the pictures/video when notified or do not report the potential illegal activity and hand over any information to help trace the perpetrator. We don't need new laws for that.

    The case you brought up with the homosexual college students, If I remember correctly, there was/is criminal charges against the ones who filmed/distributed it.

    I equate you desire to punish the website, if they behaved within legal bounds as stated above, as you wanting to shoot the proverbial messenger instead of the originator.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  10. #40
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The website is specifically about photos and videos made secretly without consent. His is NOT the only "revenge site" and those include full sound video and specifically encourage secret video taping.
    If these photos are made without the consent of the woman involved, the person posting them should be held civilly liable and, if they've broken any laws (which they probably have), should have the book thrown right in their face. That's completely different from what I thought -- I thought these women posed.

    If the website owner is knowingly posting this stuff (without permission), then he should be held criminally liable as an accessory or some-such. How would he know it was a pose rather than a secret photo? I think he could tell. (And be willing to give up the IP address if anyone complains -- without a court order.)

    I didn't understand that when I originally answered the question. If, however, a woman willingly poses and gives the photo to someone? I have no sympathy.

    A civil court is not going to find against someone who posts a posed photo, as scummy as it is. That's not going to happen. And the person who "has" the photo? "Controls" the photo. Period. (As long as it was taken with the permission of the "model.")
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •