View Poll Results: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make them illegal. They're harassment, not protected free speech

    32 47.76%
  • No, they should be legal. They're in bad taste, but they're legal.

    35 52.24%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 135

Thread: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

  1. #21
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You left out one very important thing...

    After you have told the person the information, it is now there's to do with what they want. Same applies to anything not copy-writ passed along the digital airwaves. So if you send a nude photo to someone and it is not copy protected etc, it is now their property, period. Now if someone intercepted or otherwise stole the photo while in transit, that would still be illegal. So your premise is flawed which leads to a flawed conclusion under US law. But again I am no lawyer so I may be wrong.

    I might have misunderstood the question as being should it be MADE illegal as opposed to do I think its already illegal and/or not making clear the timeline as to when the example I cited was one of the first NEW laws to be enacted at the advent of the relatively new technology of digital communications/media. I'm not a lawyer either so who knows?
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    The Constitutuion does not protect speech that causes harm to others, such as libel and slander.
    This would clearly qualify, especially given that the entire intent of posting the pictures/videos is to cause harm.

  3. #23
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    I don't think the sites should be illegal, but if they refuse to take down pics when the target of the public humiliation request them to do so, at that point they become as liable as the harassing ex who uploaded the pic.

    Invasions of privacy are invasions of privacy.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    It is legal, imo, and should stay legal.

    When an individual knowingly participates in the photo or video and gives it to someone, they have conceded any rights to it. If I give someone else a car, it is now theirs and I have no say in what they do with it. Same with these photos and videos. A woman breaking off an engagement is not legally required to return the engagement ring, so, to me, if there are photos or videos were given to the other party, then they do not have to be returned either.

    If you don't want nude or sexually explicit photos or videos of yourself put onto the net, then don't allow them to be made and don't give them to anyone. When you do, the rights to that photo/video are transfered with the photo/video and the owner of the rights to it can basically do anything they want with it.

    Videos/photos that display persons who did not voluntarily participate in making them are, of course, a completely different matter.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  5. #25
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Nah.

    All in favor of porn.


  6. #26
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Ideally, yes, those type of sites should be illegal. I just think that it's going to be almost impossible to enforce that. It's one reason that I will never ever take any pictures/videos of myself...once those images are out, they're impossible to get back. For most men (including myself), I think we'd find it mildly embarrassing, so we find it hard to understand the way women feel about it. I can only imagine that it would be 100x worse for a woman if compromising images got out, than it would be for a guy.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #27
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    He is also a beauty school "drop out" and took a job doing hair styling for porn shoots.

    Karma seems to come in many forms...
    Moore has "been hounded by his victims on US TV and even stabbed by someone he featured on the site, but nothing, it seems, can stop him from invading people's privacy."
    Sexting Website: Nude Photos Of Ex-Lovers A Nastier Type Of Porn





    Moore says he was stabbed in the shoulder by someone who he featured on the site.

  8. #28
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    It is legal, imo, and should stay legal.

    When an individual knowingly participates in the photo or video and gives it to someone, they have conceded any rights to it. If I give someone else a car, it is now theirs and I have no say in what they do with it. Same with these photos and videos. A woman breaking off an engagement is not legally required to return the engagement ring, so, to me, if there are photos or videos were given to the other party, then they do not have to be returned either.

    If you don't want nude or sexually explicit photos or videos of yourself put onto the net, then don't allow them to be made and don't give them to anyone. When you do, the rights to that photo/video are transfered with the photo/video and the owner of the rights to it can basically do anything they want with it.

    Videos/photos that display persons who did not voluntarily participate in making them are, of course, a completely different matter.
    That is not the issue at all. The question is whether I can secretly put a video camera in your bedroom and then upload the video onto that website. CONSENT of the recorded party is not a requirement of the website. The "victim" didn't allow anything.

    Per the website practice, if I knew your address I could plant a video camera in your bedroom and later upload whatever I recorded, regardless of whether I had consent of either of you. Since I could upload it anonymously, you would not any recourse against me. Because of unique federal law that ONLY protects the Internet and not any other publication method, there is nothing you could do about it.

    In those videos, I could put video up of you using or smoking dope, any crap talk you said about others - about your parents, spouse, GF/BF, children, boss, other people - maybe catch you masterbating to put online FOREVER - and anything else done and said in your house. While I as a 3rd party could be prosecuted IF you can prove I did it, how are you going to do that? And even if somehow you did, those videos would still be there forever. You'll never be president, will you?

    I could then post links to that video all over the internet and send letters, texts and emails to everyone you know of the video location only limited by how much time I cared to do so. So could then everyone else. And those videos - visual and audio - would be there forever.

    IF the other person(s) you were with at the time made the video secretly, there is NOTHING you could do about it, period. The "theory" of the website is to allow getting revenge against a GF or Spouse. BUT that is NOT the only potential and real usage of it.

    "Free speech?!" This has NOTHING to do with free speech. It is the ultimate invasion of privacy for the specific purpose of destroying the other person's life and nothing else. In fact, that is the stated purpose of the website - to allow you to destroy someone else by secret invasion of their home and even bedroom with a secret video camera. "Consent" specifically is NOT involved.

    I started a thread on this topic long ago I think after we had such a scare. Someone has secretly (hidden pin camera) made such a video of my wife "for his own usage." Fortunately we learned and fortunate for him, some other friends of ours got to him first. Beat the crap out of him enough until they were certain he had told them all the copies he had of it - and fortunately not circulated. It was on a fluke and some people putting together pieces of things he said that we learned.
    Last edited by joko104; 11-04-12 at 01:50 PM.

  9. #29
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    He is also a beauty school "drop out" and took a job doing hair styling for porn shoots.

    Karma seems to come in many forms...
    Moore has "been hounded by his victims on US TV and even stabbed by someone he featured on the site, but nothing, it seems, can stop him from invading people's privacy."
    Sexting Website: Nude Photos Of Ex-Lovers A Nastier Type Of Porn





    Moore says he was stabbed in the shoulder by someone who he featured on the site.
    Wish he had died from it.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Ideally, yes, those type of sites should be illegal. I just think that it's going to be almost impossible to enforce that. It's one reason that I will never ever take any pictures/videos of myself...once those images are out, they're impossible to get back. For most men (including myself), I think we'd find it mildly embarrassing, so we find it hard to understand the way women feel about it. I can only imagine that it would be 100x worse for a woman if compromising images got out, than it would be for a guy.
    The sites only provide a venue, not content. If the material is copyrighted, then they have a legal obligation of remove it. If it is posted by the person who owns the rights to the photo, be it the individual pictured or the person that the individual in the picture gave it to, then the owner of the rights is free do with it what they want, even posting it on a public website.

    As to it being far worse for a woman, I don't see it. If a photo got out of some guy who is, shall we say, small in size and everyone who seen it started calling him tiny, I'm fairly certain it would be devastating to him. I know from experience that getting tagged with nicknames based upon your "size" can be terribly embarrassing, I still blush and stammer whenever someone who knew me back when refers to me as "meat" in front of women. I don't see that someone making a reference to a womans sexual attributes based upon a released photo is any different that what a man feels.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •