View Poll Results: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make them illegal. They're harassment, not protected free speech

    32 47.76%
  • No, they should be legal. They're in bad taste, but they're legal.

    35 52.24%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 135

Thread: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

  1. #11
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    You calling him such does not make him such.
    No. What the man does for a living makes him sleazy and unethical. He's scum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Sharing the photo with another is not "intending them to be private".
    Once you give it away, it is a gift for the other to do as they please with it.
    No, it is not. It was shared with the expectation that it would be private, that it would remain between the person giving and the person receiving. It is no less a betrayal of confidence than telling her secrets to the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Hyperbolic nonsense. He didn't shirk responsibility.
    The responsibility falls on the person who submitted the photo and the person who gave it as a gift in the first place.
    Encouraging someone to commit bad acts is just as bad as committing bad acts yourself. Worse, if you profit from it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    There was trust when it was given, but that had long passed, especially since the photos were of people who violated that trust in the first place by hurting the submitter of the photo. Hence the term "revenge".
    Or so they say. One act of betrayal does not justify another, in any case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Hyperbolic absurdity.
    Allow me to be more clear, in case you think I am exaggerating. Hunter Moore is a scumbag, a worthless piece of human filth, and he deserves to suffer for what he has intentionally and for profit subjected other human beings to. He should be punished, and the fact that the law does not allow him to be punished does not mean that he is innocent, but rather that the law is inadequate. The people who have contributed to his filthy and depraved website may not be scumbags themselves, but they have-- each and every one of them-- willfully taken a large step towards becoming scumbags and they should be forced to pay some penance just so that they understand that what they have done is wrong and inexcusable.

    Your defense of these men is sickening.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    No. What the man does for a living makes him sleazy and unethical. He's scum.


    Wrong!



    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    No, it is not. It was shared with the expectation that it would be private, that it would remain between the person giving and the person receiving. It is no less a betrayal of confidence than telling her secrets to the world.
    And again you are wrong.
    Such expectations are hardly ever thought of beforehand. They just do it.
    Abd if that was there expectation, they should have said such when it was given.
    Otherwise it was a gift for the receiver to do with as they please.



    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Encouraging someone to commit bad acts is just as bad as committing bad acts yourself. Worse, if you profit from it.
    iLOL
    It isn't a "bad act".




    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Or so they say. One act of betrayal does not justify another, in any case.
    And we agree.
    Which is one reason why I will not engage in said activities.



    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Allow me to be more clear, in case you think I am exaggerating. Hunter Moore is a scumbag, a worthless piece of human filth, and he deserves to suffer for what he has intentionally and for profit subjected other human beings to. He should be punished, and the fact that the law does not allow him to be punished does not mean that he is innocent, but rather that the law is inadequate. The people who have contributed to his filthy and depraved website may not be scumbags themselves, but they have-- each and every one of them-- willfully taken a large step towards becoming scumbags and they should be forced to pay some penance just so that they understand that what they have done is wrong and inexcusable.
    You are exaggerating.
    Your words are over emotional ridiculous hyperbole to say the least.



    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Your defense of these men is sickening.

    iLOL
    Then be sick. It doesn't change anything I have said.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,897

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    What's the difference between this sleazy website and any other website...say, a site that posts news or wallpapers or anything else? Is it the nudity? Is it that people are allowed to post pictures?

    Or is it the fact that someone doesn't like what they see on that website?

    I don't like 90% of the stuff I see posted on HuffPo. Should they be declared illegal?

    Answer: No.

    Why: Government censorship is ultimately a bad thing. Personal censorship is a good thing.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  4. #14
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Yes, I think they should be illegal. There are ways people can protect themselves from civil laibility.

    What's interesting is we have laws galore placing restrictions on things related to speech and privacy, both criminal and civil, but those either involve money or potentially embarrassing for a politician. For example: cell phone conversations transmitt over what as been historically defined a "public airways" in America. Nobody is supposed to "own" the air broadcast travel through. That's been the doctrine of American wireless communications technology since broadcasting was invented. Then politicians stared learning THEIR cell phone conversations could be listened to by hobbyists. In most cases it was just for private entertainment. You had to be within a one or so mile radius of caller. Once they traved out of that area or "cell" you couldn't hear them anymore. It would be totally random and there would be no way to know who the parties are unless they identify themselves in the call. Congress outlawed scanners that could pick up cell phone signals I think for personal reasons. What's funny is yu can buy a scanner at a hobbyist electronics store but the scanner has to have the frequencies that cell phone use blocked.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 11-04-12 at 07:10 AM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    They're horrific violations of privacy and betrayals of trust. If nothing else, they should be illegal because everyone willingly involved with them is scum and deserves to suffer.
    You're pretty harsh. Once something is on the internet, it never goes away. To punish people for all their lives for a few mistakes they made when they were (most likely) young or intoxicated is kind of inhumane (in most cases).

  6. #16
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Yes, I think they should be illegal. There are ways people can protect themselves from civil laibility.

    What's interesting is we have laws galore placing restrictions on things related to speech and privacy, both criminal and civil, but those either involve money or potentially embarrassing for a politician. For example: cell phone conversations transmitt over what as been historically defined a "public airways" in America. Nobody is supposed to "own" the air broadcast travel through. That's been the doctrine of American wireless communications technology since broadcasting was invented. Then politicians stared learning THEIR cell phone conversations could be listened to by hobbyists. In most cases it was just for private entertainment. You had to be within a one or so mile radius of caller. Once they traved out of that area or "cell" you couldn't hear them anymore. It would be totally random and there would be no way to know who the parties are unless they identify themselves in the call. Congress outlawed scanners that could pick up cell phone signals I think for personal reasons. What's funny is yu can buy a scanner at a hobbyist electronics store but the scanner has to have the frequencies that cell phone use blocked.
    You left out one very important thing...

    After you have told the person the information, it is now there's to do with what they want. Same applies to anything not copy-writ passed along the digital airwaves. So if you send a nude photo to someone and it is not copy protected etc, it is now their property, period. Now if someone intercepted or otherwise stole the photo while in transit, that would still be illegal. So your premise is flawed which leads to a flawed conclusion under US law. But again I am no lawyer so I may be wrong.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-04-12 at 07:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #17
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    You're pretty harsh.
    I'm Viktyr. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Once something is on the internet, it never goes away. To punish people for all their lives for a few mistakes they made when they were (most likely) young or intoxicated is kind of inhumane (in most cases).
    I'm not saying that they should suffer for all of their lives-- not even for as long as their victims suffer for their actions. Only that they should suffer, only that they should know that their misdeeds hurt.

  8. #18
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post


    Wrong!
    This is the scum you are defending.

  9. #19
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    No, it shouldn't be illegal. If you send naked pictures to someone or make a sex tape with them, then those pictures are theirs to do with as they please unless you have something in writing stating otherwise.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #20
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    They should be absolutely illegal and the website strictly civilly liable.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •