View Poll Results: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make them illegal. They're harassment, not protected free speech

    32 47.76%
  • No, they should be legal. They're in bad taste, but they're legal.

    35 52.24%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 135

Thread: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

  1. #121
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    My photos that I take with my Canon EOS 1D Mark IV and L lenses are of much higher quality than what someone takes with a camera phone. However, under the law they're seen as the same. Whether it's a good quality photo or a terrible one doesn't matter. It's owned by whoever took the photo. It doesn't have to be a professional photographer. It can be a college girl with a camera phone and she still owns it.
    And if you send someone else one of those photographs, they too own that picture, and can do with it as they please.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #122
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    If he took the picture, you're probably right. If he was given the picture, you're not. If his girlfriend took her own picture, then she owns the copyright, end of story. Her giving him the photo doesn't invalidate her copyright any more than my showing proofs to my clients invalidates mine. She has the legal right to have it removed.
    Gonna have to disagree. I have seen far to many real world examples in the news etc where that is just not true. If it were the site could have been removed immediately, but it was not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #123
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,026

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Can the drama, you make it sound like they got raped or something. A picture that was taken with consent was posted on the internet. If you don't want those kinds of pictures posted on the internet, don't consent to them.
    Pointing out that there are victims in this situation is not drama, it's just a fact. And putting the onus onto those victims is blaming the victim. Again, not drama. Just fact.

  4. #124
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    This isn't an issue of intellectual property, either, since a photograph is a tangible asset.
    They're allowed to sell the photograph itself. They're not allowed to license its distribution. The people who upload the photographs are breaking the law by copying them, and Moore is breaking the law by distributing copies of them. It's really as simple as that, regardless of what people with no understanding of the law or human decency have to say about it.

  5. #125
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    And if you send someone else one of those photographs, they too own that picture, and can do with it as they please.
    No, they can not, at least not legally. I still own the copyright. In fact, when I've done a shoot for a client, I set up a proof page. It has each image available on it relatively small with "proof" watermarked over it and it explains the conditions. Those conditions are that the proof page is for selecting which pictures they want to buy. If they edited out the watermark and put a picture up on Facebook, they would be guilty of copyright infringement. If I were foolish enough to give them the full sized image as a proof without a watermark, they would still be guilty of copyright infringement. Taking a photo is the same as authoring a story legally. If you authored a story in OpenOffice Writer and e-mailed it to a friend asking for constructive criticism and then he turned around and published it, he would be guilty of copyright infringement. That's true even if he credits you as the author of the story. (If he puts his name on it, he's also guilty of plagiarism.) The same is true of photography. If you take a photo, you are the "author" of that photo. You have the right to decide what's done with it. That's true whether you're smart and keep it on your own computer, sending only proofed images or if you send it as is. You created it. You own it. That's how the law reads. There is no law that says if I e-mail it to you, then ownership is transferred. The way ownership is transferred is if you sign a contract saying that it is. Most photographers don't do this. Most hang onto their copyrights. If you buy a print photo from a photographer and make a color copy of it, you've violated that photographer's copyright. The exceptions are the rare cases when a photographer has actually sold the copyright or if the photo is so old that the copyright has expired. You can legally make a copy of a photo taken in 1880 because the copyright will have long since expired. If you do it of one taken in 2010, you've broken the law.

  6. #126
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    If NAMBLA is allowed to keep their site, this guy should keep his. That's my 2 cents. And the fact that any idiot in this day and age allows him/herself to be photographed naked by ANYONE is asking for trouble.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #127
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    If NAMBLA is allowed to keep their site, this guy should keep his. That's my 2 cents. And the fact that any idiot in this day and age allows him/herself to be photographed naked by ANYONE is asking for trouble.
    Unless you don't care who sees your birthday suit.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  8. #128
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    If NAMBLA is allowed to keep their site, this guy should keep his. That's my 2 cents. And the fact that any idiot in this day and age allows him/herself to be photographed naked by ANYONE is asking for trouble.
    NAMBLA is a disgusting and evil organization. They do have the right to have a web site advocating their views. They do not have the right to post any actual child pornography or copyrighted material that they don't own.

    I agree with you for the most part about getting photographed naked. I wouldn't allow it to be done to me. The one exception would be a highly skilled photographer taking artistic nudes. However, in that case it had better be someone you really trust, and there had better be a signed contract specifying exactly how the photos may and may not be used.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    NAMBLA is a disgusting and evil organization. They do have the right to have a web site advocating their views. They do not have the right to post any actual child pornography or copyrighted material that they don't own.

    I agree with you for the most part about getting photographed naked. I wouldn't allow it to be done to me. The one exception would be a highly skilled photographer taking artistic nudes. However, in that case it had better be someone you really trust, and there had better be a signed contract specifying exactly how the photos may and may not be used.
    The North American Marlon Brando Look-Alikes club?

    What is wrong with them?

  10. #130
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Um ... no. Your posts aren't even worth reading because you refuse to acknowledge fact.
    Just more deflection and dishonesty on your part here.
    And I too could do the childish "babble, babble, babble," thing back to you. But I choose to be more of an adult at this point.
    And what you said was dishonest because I have acknowledge fact. It is you who haven't yet.




    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Your own quote of the law proves that, though you highlighted the wrong part.
    False. Wrong!
    Dishonesty on your part.
    What I quoted applied to the comment I made. You do not seem to understand that for some reason. Go figure!
    I guess you just like misrepresenting what another has posted. What a shame.
    And as that was the part that applied to the comment I made, it also wasn't the wrong part as you seem to think. Which is really hilarious of you to even say because your comment defies logic.



    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    It is a fact that whoever takes a photograph owns the copyright and does so whether it's registered or not. Your own quote of the law proves that, though you highlighted the wrong part. This is not a matter of opinion.
    Again with the defying of logic. Absolutely puzzling.
    Well you are wrong. The part I quoted applied to the comment I made, and could not be wrong.



    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    It is fact, and you don't have the right to make up your own facts. If you published without my consent a photo that I took, I could sue you and I would win. I've done it to another person before.
    Did you intentionally take the photo for them and give it to them as a gift without any preconditions?
    Of course you didn't. So stop trying act like you have knowledge of what we are really talking about here. Because you obviously don't.

    Like I said, ask your lawyer that specific question and you will receive an answer in the affirmative.



    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    I'm a photographer. I know what I'm talking about. I consult with an attorney to make sure my work doesn't get stolen. If you refuse to acknowledge the fact of what the law says, your posts aren't even worth reading.

    No, you do not know what "we" are talking about.
    "You" are talking about initial ownership. Of that, I have no doubt that you are familiar with Copywriting. But that in no way makes you familiar with what we are talking about.

    What you fail to acknowledge is that "we" are talking about a different scenario where the image was given as a gift without any preconditions. And even a transfer of ownership. Once that has been done, the other person can do with it as they wish.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •