View Poll Results: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a citizen of a socialist country and like it

    4 14.81%
  • I have spent time in a socialist country and socialism is gravy

    2 7.41%
  • No, but I have a Che Guevara T-shirt

    3 11.11%
  • I have, and socialism is awful

    4 14.81%
  • I'm a red-blooded American, to hell with those pinko commies

    14 51.85%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 137

Thread: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

    I live in France and I like it.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

    There are varying degrees of socialism, but if you have experiences abroad feel free to share them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Perhaps you need to define what you consider to be a Socialist country? The United Kingdom? Denmark? Sweden? Norway? What?

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Riding a tapir
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,432
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?


    Quote Originally Posted by melons View Post
    You don't like to be wrong, do you? You can rant all you want to, it doesn't take away from the fact that you were wrong. So let's hear some more of that grand ranting about what you read all wrong.


    Well yes, since you've been unable to prove me wrong, for all intents and purposes I'm right.

    What you've done thus far: accuse me of rating, say I'm "wrong", accuse me of misinterpreting your post.
    What you haven't done thus far: challenge my position, provide proof for any assertion, explain any assertion.

    This is not debating. If you'd like to debate please do so, but if not... have a great rest of your day.

  4. #34
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    it is uncon. - the 16th made the constitution contratadict itself.

    Pollock v. Farmers' Loan & Trust Co
    Pollock v. Farmers Loan and Trust was due to an unapportioned tax. However, the 16th Amendment was added because apportioned taxes didn't pay the bills.

    From Article I, Section II, Clause III of the US Constitution:

    Representatives and direct taxes shall be apportioned among the several states which may be included within this union, according to their respective numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole number of free persons, including those bound to service for a term of years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.
    The writers of the Constitution fully expected that a direct tax would necessary as the nation expanded and grew. Taxation was the primary reason as to why we have the Constitution, and not the Articles of Confederation today. As the nation expanded, so did the federal budget, and therefore, the amendment became necessary. An apportioned tax is fine when there are only 13 federated states, but in 1913, the US consisted of 48 states, the territories of Alaska and Hawaii, and was still recovering from the debt of war, with more debt to come. An unapportioned tax was necessary in order to fund this very large nation and its people. It's constitutional because it was amended as prescribed by the United States Constitution. It's a fluid document that can be changed as necessary, that's why the amendment process exists. It's why slavery no longer exists, and "negroes" are legally considered full human beings, and not three fifths of a person, why women are allowed to vote, and why senators are directly elected through popular vote. All of which contradict the original Constitution, but when it comes time to give instead of get, well that's just unacceptable.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I'm sure everything is 100% better now, it's just that your photos look identical other than the quality of the colour film.

    Thing is, there are a lot of posters on DP who would think modern Germany is a socialistic hell-hole. I wonder what your reaction would be to legally enforced worker representation on every company board, the government investment in alternative energy and the degree of regulation of banking that Wall Street or The City would quake at. Perhaps in 1989 Germany just replaced one out-dated style of socialism for a modern, efficient one.
    1. I'm not interested in discussing whether Germany is socialist now or not. The only purpose of my post was to relate my impressions of a socialist environment (East Berlin)...and the changes when they threw off their government.

    2. As I said in my post, these pictures are representations. They illustrate my perception...what I saw...and the differences I saw before and after.


    On a side note, West Berlin...at that time...was totally different. Kurfurstendamm...or "Ku'damm", as they called it...was beautiful and believe me, it was party central at night. The East Berliners had nothing like it.

    Have you ever lived in a socialist country?-410299946_9cc5bd4593-jpg
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #36
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    1. I'm not interested in discussing whether Germany is socialist now or not. The only purpose of my post was to relate my impressions of a socialist environment (East Berlin)...and the changes when they threw off their government.

    2. As I said in my post, these pictures are representations. They illustrate my perception...what I saw...and the differences I saw before and after.


    On a side note, West Berlin...at that time...was totally different. Kurfurstendamm...or "Ku'damm", as they called it...was beautiful and believe me, it was party central at night. The East Berliners had nothing like it.

    Have you ever lived in a socialist country?-410299946_9cc5bd4593-jpg
    Germany today is not socialist, although some American righties call it that way.

    On that Germany which everybody calls socialist, which even called itself socialist, -- the East German GDR -- I agree with you.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  7. #37
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    Labor law is not in the constitution either. But we have it.

    And ALL MONEY is created by the worker. NONE is created by the CEO or owner. remember that ...........when you spout crap
    about its ALL YOUR MONEY.
    where do you get the CEO idea, i stated that who ever works for their money its theirs........ not governments.

    so you are wrong in your accusation.

  8. #38
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    That doesn't mean everything certain American righties call "socialism" really is socialism.
    Indeed. The things that get labeled Socialism are not Socialist but the things that are socialism see ever increasing amounts being allocated to them by Republicans.

    Socialism's functional definition these days is "whatever I don't like."
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #39
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

    Quote Originally Posted by waas View Post
    That's a little contrived.

    Want to explain further?
    i am very glad you asked me this question, and i am going to answer you with Madison , father of the u.s. Constitution his ideas, and words from myself.

    when Madison was asked to write the constitution, he wanted to create a constitution which would last , and not fail. Madison looked at the other governments of history and why they failed. so when he came too the constitutional convention with his constitution, he was well armed with his ideas, and how too answer questions he would be asked by the other founders. Madison knew from history that democracies fail because of there (excesses).

    democracy is rule of the people ( majority rule/mob rule ), those who have the majority make the rules for everyone it is a collective society, in democracies the people ----->endowed themselves with rights<------, this gives the majority the power to create any right, any law they chose, now this sounds good, but its is not because people are self-serving creatures, who seek what is good for their own wants and desires and it also gives government power to act for the majority, ...so government grows and consumes more power.

    what are wants and desires?....they are excesses.

    when people endow themselves with rights, and can make any law they choose because they have the majority, they create laws to suit themselves the majority, they give themselves rights to things.. healthcare!, in the south African constitution which was written not that long ago, and is a democracy, they have in their constitution, rights to food, water, a house, healthcare, yet they say they have free speech, but if you look at the constitution closely, you will read, your speech only goes so far, too the point if you insult someone, them your speech is no longer free........nice democracy.....not!

    what does this lead too, it leads to socialism, ..why? because the people who produce have to pay the cost for these rights to these material goods that now have been declared a right, because governments don't have money or create wealth, they must take money through taxation of the people who do that producing of wealth.

    because in democracies the people and government are not restrained by law ( a constitution), and too put it another way, people run-a muck, and create an entitlement nation.

    so Madison created for the u.s. a republic with a republican form of government...article 4 section 4 of the constitution.

    democracy is a democratic form of government, an illegal in the u.s., because the constitution guarantees a republican form government with republican principles too every state in the union, federalist paper #39 titled "conformity to the plan of republican principles"

    Madison states that every state government in the union has to be republican form of government , and it is NOT, because the people of the state change it too anything other an republican by peaceful means, then that state can on longer be part of the union, or if a state is changed from a republican form by force, say by a small group of people, the the union will force its return to republican government by means of force....THIS FROM THE FEDERALIST PAPERS.

    in a republican form of government, power of the people is spread out by direct and indirect power, THE LAW RULES, NOT THE MAJORITY, the people cannot change the constitution to give themselves rights, of create laws too benefit a few, because in our republic, rights are endowed by god, not the people, people cannot create their own rights.

    Madison says, man must be constrained by law, or he will run-a muck, with excesses, and create his own downfall.

    what are the difference between a democratic republic, and a republic of republics like the founders created for us Americans.

    a democratic republic, majority rule.... rights can be created, laws can be change to serve those in power, those in the majority, and elite really run the government.....with excesses there is no end, rights of individual citizens are violated by the majority.

    what does a republic of the founders do, BUT has been lost ,because government has violated the constitution and moved us towards democracy in the last 120 years.

    in republican form of government it is limited by a constitution, it cannot created things which it has not been given authority by that constitution, it serves the people in securing their rights, and that is ALL RIGHTS. as Madison says, your property rights are just as strong as your right to free speech.

    Americans are free because the federal government has NO! jurisdiction over them, unless they are pirates, counter-fitters, or traitors.

    property rights are secure, because government cannot tell you what too do with your property or business, unless you violate the rights of other citizens. this means discrimination laws on citizens , affirmative action, minimum wage laws are unconstitutional because government is suppose to secure your rights, not violate them, by dictating too your your property. rights.

    since federal government power is limited, lobbyist, the rich and powerful have no power, because government cannot help them, because the constitution prevents them from doing things outside its 18 duties of said constitution too help those elite.

    many people will read what i have put down and say" BS".....but the only way too find the truth, is too read the constitution, and the federalist papers, and letters of the founders.

    to give an example...many people say Jefferson was not a Christan.........nothing can be further from truth!.......Jefferson says in a letter......i am para -phrasing..." our rights are not endowed to us by worldly kings, or legislators, but by the KING OF KINGS.....who is Jesus Christ.. this from the 1904 printing of Jefferson's personal writings.

    i ask everyone too seek truth, and read what the founders created, so many people have been fooled by government and what other people have told them, i ask you search for yourself.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Have you ever lived in a socialist country?

    If wanting nothing more than 3 square meals a day, a roof over my head, and a pair of shoes to get me from A to B is Socialistic, then color me pink!

    -- Everyday Liberal

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •