View Poll Results: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 38.24%
  • No

    21 61.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

  1. #11
    User Anrch-Cptlst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    04-19-13 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    100
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    I think the hurricane should wipe out Obama's and Romney's campaign. That way we could have a real Liberal and a real Conservative run. Instead of party jumping on the issues that turns into some statist bs.
    Gary Johnson 2012!!!

    There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal. - F.A. Hayek

  2. #12
    Cammunist Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    986

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Is it possible to do this constitutionally speaking?
    Yes, the constitution doesn't define Tuesday in Novemeber as the day of election. The constitution doesn't give the right to even vote for electors, mind. Congress is given that power, but with the caveat that the day of selecting the president (when the EC votes)me uniform throughout the country. State legislations are responsible for senate and congressional elections, however Congress can make alterations to the laws. Not sure if election Tuesday is governed by statute or convention.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    No. You hold the election on the day it is supposed to be held.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    Two words - absentee ballot

    Keep it simple, stupid.

  5. #15
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Or an entire month. Really, what's the downside?
    More ads.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #16
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It would be counter to the democratic and equality ideals of this country if some states were prevented from voting because of a major weather event and others weren't.

    Personally, I don't understand why we have a single election day. What if somebody is sick that day? You can't really plan for pneumonia and vote early to take care of it. Why don't we have a voting week to account for such problems?
    With early voting there isn't an election day anymore, just the last day to vote.

    NO, weather should NOT alter an election. There would be no end to that if ever allowed. Too hot. Too cold. Too wet. Too much snow. Etc etc. The chips and weather falls as it does.

  7. #17
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    With early voting there isn't an election day anymore, just the last day to vote.

    NO, weather should NOT alter an election. There would be no end to that if ever allowed. Too hot. Too cold. Too wet. Too much snow. Etc etc. The chips and weather falls as it does.
    As long as everybody who is eligible to vote, in this case it's a national election, then I think I would have to come down on this side of the options. There is no option that would please everybody, but this one I think is the most fair, albeit somewhat harshly fair.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #18
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    With early voting there isn't an election day anymore, just the last day to vote.

    NO, weather should NOT alter an election. There would be no end to that if ever allowed. Too hot. Too cold. Too wet. Too much snow. Etc etc. The chips and weather falls as it does.
    Well weather has altered elections and what you described didn't happen.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #19
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    What if Sandy was due to pass through next week instead of this week? Would you be in favor of post-poning the election?
    We could do a scientific study on the days of the year in which natural disasters are least likely to occur and amend the Constitution to put election day on that day instead.

    Which makes sense since the reason why the Founding Fathers made the current election day was because 90% of Americans were farmers and that day was a good one for just after the harvests but now most Americans are don't have jobs in which the weather and the seasons don't play such a role to their ability to vote.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Should a Hurricane Postpone an Election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It would be counter to the democratic and equality ideals of this country if some states were prevented from voting because of a major weather event and others weren't.

    Personally, I don't understand why we have a single election day. What if somebody is sick that day? You can't really plan for pneumonia and vote early to take care of it. Why don't we have a voting week to account for such problems?
    Exactly .... why not have a voting week or by mail choice.

    Citizens are so busy and preoccupied it only seems right. Weather, illness, childbirth, deaths and illness in families, work schedules, school schedules ... the list goes on.

    We have several weeks of voting in Oregon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •