View Poll Results: Which social class do you 'fit'?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upper - Ivy League/Privileged

    5 7.46%
  • Upper-Middle - Specific degree PhD, Masters, etc

    22 32.84%
  • Middle - White collar professionals

    20 29.85%
  • Traditional Middle - working-blue/pink collar 4 yr degree

    14 20.90%
  • Working - HS diploma/Assoc degree

    12 17.91%
  • Poor - no college, HS or GED

    4 5.97%
  • I don't label myself and prefer that nobody knows

    7 10.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 89

Thread: Which class do you identify with?

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I look at these things a lot differently, at least in my opinion.
    Last year I was making $25k a year, just bought my house, living well enough.

    While some of my new neighbors were earning twice or more than I was and they were loosing their house.

    What class does that make us?
    I had a similar experience growing up. I grew up in the metro DC area where taxes and the cost of living were high. My dad made around 30k a year (I believe) and to my knowledge we were never in danger of losing our home or having utilities cut off (at the time we were a family of 5 too, that being said there were some months where we ran short just like anyone else). We had neighbors making double what we made and were in debt and feared not being able to pay rent/bills. I honestly believe it's due to lifestyle choices and financial planning. As a kid we had a very old TV, no cable, one old car (and we drove it till it died even after the muffler fell completely off the thing), we never went on vacations and bought generic products/food. If we needed to go somewhere we took the subway if my dad was at work with the car. My neighbors had the newest big screen TVs, bought a new car every 3-5 years, had cable TV and bought more expensive household products as well as going on vacations. I'm sure that they charged many things and run up credit card debt. I would imaging that you are an extremely good financial planner that has wise priorities when it comes to spending.

    As far as what class, I would say a working class of financially responsible individuals.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I had a similar experience growing up. I grew up in the metro DC area where taxes and the cost of living were high. My dad made around 30k a year (I believe) and to my knowledge we were never in danger of losing our home or having utilities cut off (at the time we were a family of 5 too, that being said there were some months where we ran short just like anyone else). We had neighbors making double what we made and were in debt and feared not being able to pay rent/bills. I honestly believe it's due to lifestyle choices and financial planning. As a kid we had a very old TV, no cable, one old car (and we drove it till it died even after the muffler fell completely off the thing), we never went on vacations and bought generic products/food. If we needed to go somewhere we took the subway if my dad was at work with the car. My neighbors had the newest big screen TVs, bought a new car every 3-5 years, had cable TV and bought more expensive household products as well as going on vacations. I'm sure that they charged many things and run up credit card debt. I would imaging that you are an extremely good financial planner that has wise priorities when it comes to spending.

    As far as what class, I would say a working class of financially responsible individuals.
    Well I dunno if I'd identify with that though.
    Besides, i don't like the "working class" name, it sounds like it assumes that only this class of people work.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #73
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    Well im a college student so i dont know where i fit. However my family is part of the slowly fading middle class.


  4. #74
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'd say that they don't work nation wide, because localities have different costs of living.
    That is very true good point.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  5. #75
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Well im a college student so i dont know where i fit. However my family is part of the slowly fading middle class.


    "when your 20 and your not a socialist, you have no heart".........."when your 40 ,and still a socialist, you have no brain"

    this is a old saying, because what it says is over time your opinions on things change, and you look at the world a different way.

    i cant wait until your 50 and see the world with different eyes.

    by the way this is NO insult too you........its something for you too think about.

  6. #76
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    "when your 20 and your not a socialist, you have no heart".........."when your 40 ,and still a socialist, you have no brain"

    this is a old saying, because what it says is over time your opinions on things change, and you look at the world a different way.

    i cant wait until your 50 and see the world with different eyes.

    by the way this is NO insult too you........its something for you too think about.
    Ive thought about it. But then again that saying does not apply to many many many many people in this world.


  7. #77
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    Traditional-middle to middle. While we do not have professional degrees in my home, we have professional level careers and (with any luck) professional-level incomes in the next 6-8 months.

    We live WELL under our means, however. Our home is at the very low end of the spectrum for the area in which we live, whether you go by appraisal price or selling price. Average home price in our town is $250k, and in the areas immediately surrounding, the average price shoots to $400k. We came in WELL below the median. We drive lower-end vehicles (I have a 2008 Focus and he has a 2011 Escape). We invest all of our extra money into our home for now, but after the first of the year we'll be heavily contributing to retirement funds. We don't take lavish vacations, we don't make large purchases (our max purchase on anything non-necessity in the last 12 months was $300 @ Kohl's for about $750 worth of clothing thanks to their awesome discount programs).
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #78
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Traditional-middle to middle. While we do not have professional degrees in my home, we have professional level careers and (with any luck) professional-level incomes in the next 6-8 months.

    We live WELL under our means, however. Our home is at the very low end of the spectrum for the area in which we live, whether you go by appraisal price or selling price. Average home price in our town is $250k, and in the areas immediately surrounding, the average price shoots to $400k. We came in WELL below the median. We drive lower-end vehicles (I have a 2008 Focus and he has a 2011 Escape). We invest all of our extra money into our home for now, but after the first of the year we'll be heavily contributing to retirement funds. We don't take lavish vacations, we don't make large purchases (our max purchase on anything non-necessity in the last 12 months was $300 @ Kohl's for about $750 worth of clothing thanks to their awesome discount programs).
    Keep heading down that path and you will most likely end up on easy street in Retirement World, USA...and be accused of being lucky by others who didn't prepare very well for their retirement years.
    We did what you are doing, somewhat differently maybe, but we ended up with 2 very good retirements...the only problem I have is shutting off the frugal mode and getting into the spend mode. Frugality is a hard habit to break...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #79
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Keep heading down that path and you will most likely end up on easy street in Retirement World, USA...and be accused of being lucky by others who didn't prepare very well for their retirement years.
    We did what you are doing, somewhat differently maybe, but we ended up with 2 very good retirements...the only problem I have is shutting off the frugal mode and getting into the spend mode. Frugality is a hard habit to break...
    I learned from my dad. He did everything he reasonably could being a lower-middle class struggling business owner. Circumstances beyond his control killed his savings...all of it...just gone. Money that had been "guaranteed" to him by his father was unceremoniously stolen from him by his vindictive step siblings. His personal retirement account was drained to save their house from foreclosure during the worst of the recession. He almost lost 10 acres of land in south Texas because his wife's family failed to pay their portion of the taxes on it, and he had to foot the bill to get things current. Health scares, car accidents, unscrupulous employers he agreed to work for when things got REALLY bad, who ended up in court for their fraudulent treatment of customers...

    So I'm extra careful with my future. I've got to look out for myself, my future kids, and for my dad. He worked his ass off to take care of me, and I'm not going to let him fall down because he made the choice to work hard and with integrity for most of his life.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: Which class do you identify with?

    I am a working person. I happen to have a masters degree and have worked in white collar professional jobs my post college career. I also worked fast food in high school, was a janitor in a hospital, worked on a city park as a recreation director and even spent six months on a garbage truck before I got my teaching job.

    I am a working person. Sorry, but none of the categories were an honest fit.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •