View Poll Results: Keep Electoral College or have direct elections?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Electoral College works, keep it.

    46 42.99%
  • The presidency should be determined by direct national vote.

    49 45.79%
  • IDK/Other

    12 11.21%
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 319

Thread: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

  1. #261
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,905

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Constitutional rights? We're not talking about Constitutional rights. We're talking about our different ethical outlooks. I said I regard it as unethical to undermine or encroach upon the life or property of another. You, on the other hand, seem very happy to undermine or encroach upon the life and property of others.

    As one example, you seem to want to prohibit people from owning particular sorts of firearms, thus denying them the right to property.
    Baloney. People can indeed own property. There is no right - Constitutional or ethical - to own any piece of anything you want no matter what its potential for harm and damage is to others. As such, you are creating a strawman.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Baloney. People can indeed own property. There is no right - Constitutional or ethical - to own any piece of anything you want no matter what its potential for harm and damage is to others. As such, you are creating a strawman.
    Yes, this is the sort of disagreement I was talking about. You clearly want to deny people the right to own particular sorts of firearms, while I respect their right to do so. Thus my statement about you and I being in two vastly different camps and my belief that Patrick Henry would "smell a rat" in your camp.

  3. #263
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Could you please explain to he how your phrase A DEMOCRATICALLY BASED REPUBLIC is substantively different that my phrase of A REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY BOUND BY A CONSTITUTION?
    Could you please calm down?
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #264
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,905

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Yes, this is the sort of disagreement I was talking about. You clearly want to deny people the right to own particular sorts of firearms, while I respect their right to do so. Thus my statement about you and I being in two vastly different camps and my belief that Patrick Henry would "smell a rat" in your camp.
    It is less than honest that you pretend to engage in me in so called intellectual discourse on topics such as the meaning of the word INFRINGED or how people learn right behaviors from wrong behaviors but only to a point. Once you have been bested on the actual issue - such as the original meaning of the word INFIRNGED or pointing out repeatedly that you were misrepresenting my views on learning by adding the word INNATE to my views - you then have to resort to attempting to falsely mischaracterizing me and demonizing me as a way to save face.

    And that does not even begin to approach the issue of you being able to channel Patrick Henry - olfactory sensory abilities and all.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Yes, this is the sort of disagreement I was talking about. You clearly want to deny people the right to own particular sorts of firearms, while I respect their right to do so.
    That's because you understand that simple purchase/ownership/posession of a firearm neither harms anyone nor places them in a condition of clear and present danger; as they do neither of these things, there is no sound argument to restrict the right of the law abiding to same.

  6. #266
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,905

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Could you please calm down?
    I have no idea what you are talking about. The two definitions are in caps to distinguish them from the other part of the post. I thought that would help you when you explained both of them together and told me the important differences between the two.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It is less than honest that you pretend to engage in me in so called intellectual discourse on topics such as the meaning of the word INFRINGED or how people learn right behaviors from wrong behaviors but only to a point. Once you have been bested on the actual issue - such as the original meaning of the word INFIRNGED or pointing out repeatedly that you were misrepresenting my views on learning by adding the word INNATE to my views - you then have to resort to attempting to falsely mischaracterizing me and demonizing me as a way to save face.
    Your non-response to the actual content of my post is duly noted.

    And that does not even begin to approach the issue of you being able to channel Patrick Henry - olfactory sensory abilities and all.
    I regard it unethical to encroach upon or undermine the life or property of others. You, apparently, have no such ethical prohibition, and are therefore happy to support the denial of people's ability to own particular sorts of firearms. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but hey, I'm not the one advocating the denial of property rights to others. If you don't like the way your position sounds, maybe you should take a look at it and see if it is truly ethical.

  8. #268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by H. Lee White View Post
    That's because you understand that simple purchase/ownership/posession of a firearm neither harms anyone nor places them in a condition of clear and present danger; as they do neither of these things, there is no sound argument to restrict the right of the law abiding to same.
    Yes, the mere possession of a firearm effects nobody. Therefore there is no ethical reason to deny people the right to own such property.

  9. #269
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,905

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Your non-response to the actual content of my post is duly noted.


    My response to your attempt to deviate from the topic while resorting to unfair personal characterizations is indeed the central tactic that you have adopted. We all get that you dance with the angels as personified by your good friend with the amazing odor detection abilities - Patrick Henry - while I consort with the talking snake in the corner wearing the Leon Trotsky Halloween costume. Your efforts make that distinction loud and clear.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Time for direct democracy - end electorial college?[W:193]

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Yes, the mere possession of a firearm effects nobody. Therefore there is no ethical reason to deny people the right to own such property.
    Nor is there a constitutionally acceptable reason.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •