View Poll Results: Should people be able to get entitlements if they are getting these other things?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 36.36%
  • No

    25 45.45%
  • Other

    10 18.18%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 149

Thread: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    01-30-13 @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,036

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    People should be free to use the entitlements how they wish. If they want to buy all the drugs possible or spend it all on hookers or booze or gambling, that is their business. If they make bad choices and demonstrate an inability to use the entitlements more or less responsibly then that's another story.

  2. #62
    Advisor melons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    376

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    I voted "other: simply because I am not sure you can base welfare or food stamps on what someone has in hand. A grandparent or other family member could be paying for the item or given it as a gift. And I am sure there are other legitimate instances where a person who is living on the system could have these type of items. I do have an issue with $30,000 cars being parked in front of government housing day in and day out. I do believe there is cheating and deceiving in the system, only a fool wouldn't think there is. I do think that more needs to be done to single out these people and put a stop to it. I have had certain family members and past friends who were on the system and I saw the abuse of the system with my own eyes as I am sure, if we think about it, we all have.

    In my opinion, the question of helping the poor and needy, is not even a question. Yes, we need to help them. The question to me is ...where do we draw the line? When do we decided that too much is too much? I realize that the 47 percent that do not pay taxes are not the people who are living on the system? And I didn't research myself to find out that number? I am sure someone out there has it handy. But where do we draw the line? 30 percent? 40 percent? 50 percent? 60 percent? Everything has a limit. And Americans have a limit as to the percentage of poor that we can handle and be fiscally responsible. The answer lies in getting as many people off the system as we can and get them on to better lives. But starting with singling out the cheaters and abusers wouldn't be a bad idea. Just because everyone isn't cheating doesn't mean that we shouldn't be looking for the ones who are a little harder.

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    An iPhone on contract and a pay as you go phone are two different things. The difference is at least $40 a month.
    it is a bit more than that. the "Obama phone" is 29 bucks a month the cheapest iPhone plan is 89 a month.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    01-30-13 @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,036

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    it is a bit more than that. the "Obama phone" is 29 bucks a month the cheapest iPhone plan is 89 a month.

    If you have a demonstrated need an O-phone and an account allowing 250 mins and 250 text messages per month is free.

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    Quote Originally Posted by marsden View Post
    If you have a demonstrated need an O-phone and an account allowing 250 mins and 250 text messages per month is free.
    some people do need that

  6. #66
    Advisor melons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    376

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Not sure what's worse. The dynamics of poverty...or the ignorance about it. Right now...after reading through this thread...looks like ignorance about the genuine dynamics of poverty is winning out.

    The first place people start their arguments relate to "abuse of the system" rather than examining the root causes and generational effects. Of course the easier path of least resistance is the standard bull**** perspective that all people on welfare are low-life lazy folks who live to extort taxpayer money.

    Children and the indigent elderly are the largest groups who are recipients. Yep, thoses badass kids and old ****ers who cleverly plot to steal from the government...thus the taxpayers.
    You are correct that most people start off that way when considering ways to "fix the system". I would think the majority of the people are not blaming the elderly or the children. I think people get really tired of the excuses we hear though. I know I do.

    I have a few relatives and long time friends that receive assistance, some that have for a long time, some that have just recently had to start. I have a good job, so does my husband, we also work side jobs ...I sell on online, he does auto body work, we both clean carpets for apartment complexes and we have another small business we are trying to get going. When opportunities arise for people, I let them know, "hey, there is job where I work open that you should apply for" or "hey, I know of an apartment complex looking for someone to clean between rentals" or whatever opportunity arises that I think might help someone. I am forever hearing this....."I don't want to work nights, I don't want to work weekends, I don't want to stand on my feet all day, I don't want to work outside...." I get really tired and frustrated with it.

    Some of my family feels that we have just been lucky or blessed. But the truth is, we overcame those obstacles. We worked those jobs with bad hours and tough conditions, so we could qualify for better jobs with better hours and better conditions. We worked our way up in life and we expect others who are capable to do the same. Opportunities are not going to come knocking on your door, you have to get out there around the rest of society to find them.

  7. #67
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    Ack, I meant to amend my vote I had just now placed.

    I don't think you should be denied entitlements because you buy some booze and have a $50 smartphone.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    The iPhone is not the symbol of wealth... so yes, they should receive food stamps if they fit the requirements.

  9. #69
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    Quote Originally Posted by melons View Post
    You are correct that most people start off that way when considering ways to "fix the system". I would think the majority of the people are not blaming the elderly or the children. I think people get really tired of the excuses we hear though. I know I do.

    I have a few relatives and long time friends that receive assistance, some that have for a long time, some that have just recently had to start. I have a good job, so does my husband, we also work side jobs ...I sell on online, he does auto body work, we both clean carpets for apartment complexes and we have another small business we are trying to get going. When opportunities arise for people, I let them know, "hey, there is job where I work open that you should apply for" or "hey, I know of an apartment complex looking for someone to clean between rentals" or whatever opportunity arises that I think might help someone. I am forever hearing this....."I don't want to work nights, I don't want to work weekends, I don't want to stand on my feet all day, I don't want to work outside...." I get really tired and frustrated with it.

    Some of my family feels that we have just been lucky or blessed. But the truth is, we overcame those obstacles. We worked those jobs with bad hours and tough conditions, so we could qualify for better jobs with better hours and better conditions. We worked our way up in life and we expect others who are capable to do the same. Opportunities are not going to come knocking on your door, you have to get out there around the rest of society to find them.
    This post symbolizes what I have been thinking. I believe that most people don't really mind helping, but they do mind that too many who receive assistance seem to have turned it into a lifestyle.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: If you can afford alcohol, drugs, iPhone etc you shouldn't get entitlements

    Quote Originally Posted by melons View Post
    You are correct that most people start off that way when considering ways to "fix the system". I would think the majority of the people are not blaming the elderly or the children. I think people get really tired of the excuses we hear though. I know I do.

    I have a few relatives and long time friends that receive assistance, some that have for a long time, some that have just recently had to start. I have a good job, so does my husband, we also work side jobs ...I sell on online, he does auto body work, we both clean carpets for apartment complexes and we have another small business we are trying to get going. When opportunities arise for people, I let them know, "hey, there is job where I work open that you should apply for" or "hey, I know of an apartment complex looking for someone to clean between rentals" or whatever opportunity arises that I think might help someone. I am forever hearing this....."I don't want to work nights, I don't want to work weekends, I don't want to stand on my feet all day, I don't want to work outside...." I get really tired and frustrated with it.

    Some of my family feels that we have just been lucky or blessed. But the truth is, we overcame those obstacles. We worked those jobs with bad hours and tough conditions, so we could qualify for better jobs with better hours and better conditions. We worked our way up in life and we expect others who are capable to do the same. Opportunities are not going to come knocking on your door, you have to get out there around the rest of society to find them.

    I have this:

    Noncompaction cardiomyopathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm not supposed to do the kind of work you are talking about any more.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •