View Poll Results: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    93 69.92%
  • Yes

    18 13.53%
  • I like Mashed Potatoes

    22 16.54%
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 509

Thread: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

  1. #421
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Not, it's not. There can never be any greater freedom of religion for a Muslim than for anyone else in the US.
    On the flip side, we cannot discriminate any more against Islam then we do for any other religion.

    I'm still waiting for the Sky is Falling crowd to explain to me how it is Constitutional to allow Rabbinical in secular finance but not Sharia in secular finance. The fact that we are openly practicing Sharia in the US under limited circumstances suggests that those in charge realize what is legal and what is not.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #422
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    On the flip side, we cannot discriminate any more against Islam then we do for any other religion.

    I'm still waiting for the Sky is Falling crowd to explain to me how it is Constitutional to allow Rabbinical in secular finance but not Sharia in secular finance. The fact that we are openly practicing Sharia in the US under limited circumstances suggests that those in charge realize what is legal and what is not.
    Again, I did a Op some time ago, analyzing all the constitutional defects in these anti-Sharia laws. I agree with you completely, and the bigots who support these laws should hang their heads in shame.

    Whose unpopular beliefs would they like us to outlaw next? I'd love to outlaw theirs -- but this is America, and they have the freedom to be wrong, to say wrong things, worship wrong ideas, vote for the wrong candidate, etc.

    I'd love to see us amend the constitution so that any lawmaker who votes for a blatantly unconstitutional law has to repay his state and the federal government's costs in seeking its repeal.

  3. #423
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    all that is neccessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

  4. #424
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    all that is neccessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
    Fabulous quote -- but how did you mean it to be applied in this thread, dear?

  5. #425
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Fabulous quote -- but how did you mean it to be applied in this thread, dear?
    sharia law is possible if good people do nothing to prevent it. all i was trying to say. it's unlikely, but then again so are lightning strikes killing babies, doesnt mean it doesnt happen from time to time.

  6. #426
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    sharia law is possible if good people do nothing to prevent it. all i was trying to say. it's unlikely, but then again so are lightning strikes killing babies, doesnt mean it doesnt happen from time to time.
    Sharia Law, as I understand it, is a body of rules that (at least some) devout Muslims follow in an effort to be faithful to Islam. I doubt many non-Muslim Americans are going to be converting to Islam anytime soon, and I am not concerned with most of these rules. "What to eat" rules may actually help make a family healthier. "Whom to marry" rules offend me -- especially arranged marriages, but I disapprove of many marriages and as long as both parties are adults, I don't feel any need to step in. Polygamy (assuming that Sharia Law blesses this) is illegal everywhere in the US, as is child abuse. I don't care (and actually approve) if two parties to a contract want to agree in advance that any dispute they may have will be resolved by arbitration, whether the arbitrator is a religious leader or not.

    So, what is it we need to worry about? Law-breaking. Honor killings and the like. But we address this by insisting on justice for all Americans, not by silly, unconstitutional laws that "outlaw" an honor killing defense in a murder case -- a defense that has never and will never and could never succeed in any American court.

    I'm not sure what you're worried about -- as for social ills, I can think of worse ones than having a few more Muslim neighbors. I see such ladies out shopping occassionally, and they seem scared to me. THAT is a social ill I really can't abide -- no woman should be afraid to shop in my neighborhood just because she has a hijab (head scarf) on, and no woman should be afraid to wear the garments of her faith in my neighborhood.

  7. #427
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Sharia Law, as I understand it, is a body of rules that (at least some) devout Muslims follow in an effort to be faithful to Islam. I doubt many non-Muslim Americans are going to be converting to Islam anytime soon, and I am not concerned with most of these rules. "What to eat" rules may actually help make a family healthier. "Whom to marry" rules offend me -- especially arranged marriages, but I disapprove of many marriages and as long as both parties are adults, I don't feel any need to step in. Polygamy (assuming that Sharia Law blesses this) is illegal everywhere in the US, as is child abuse. I don't care (and actually approve) if two parties to a contract want to agree in advance that any dispute they may have will be resolved by arbitration, whether the arbitrator is a religious leader or not.

    So, what is it we need to worry about? Law-breaking. Honor killings and the like. But we address this by insisting on justice for all Americans, not by silly, unconstitutional laws that "outlaw" an honor killing defense in a murder case -- a defense that has never and will never and could never succeed in any American court.

    I'm not sure what you're worried about -- as for social ills, I can think of worse ones than having a few more Muslim neighbors. I see such ladies out shopping occassionally, and they seem scared to me. THAT is a social ill I really can't abide -- no woman should be afraid to shop in my neighborhood just because she has a hijab (head scarf) on, and no woman should be afraid to wear the garments of her faith in my neighborhood.
    the main thing that worries me is complacency. i understand where you're coming from, but lets look at what actually happens in two scenarios:

    a muslim woman wears her religious garb in america, no one bothers her, she goes about her business and goes home.
    a muslim woman doesnt wear her religious garb in a muslim-majority country (most of them, there are a few non-radical exceptions like turkey/indonesia), she gets harrassed/beaten, and goes home bruised to be further discplined by her husband.

    so, i don't want sharia here, because i don't want my sisters or my mothers/grandmothers, or my daughters/granddaughters if i ever have any having to deal with even the possibility of being forced into such an abusive thing as a state under sharia law.

    this is what sharia law looks like:


    i just don't want the slippery slope, i understand you're supporting we simply not allow the more radical elements of sharia, but that's unlikely to occur in practice. in areas of the world where sharia law is in place, it's all or nothing, 'moderate' sharia does not exist or at-least i'm not familiar with any examples but i'll be more than willing to look into any sources you have that can demonstrate that such a thing exists.

  8. #428
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    I don't share your level of confidence. I see a division between Conservative Christians and everyone else in the not too distant future, and Sharia Law making a very strong bid as the dominant system among "everyone else".
    I see more danger of Conservative Christians trying to enact their versions of Sharia.
    Forcing children of incest and rape victims to bear their attackers children is very "Sharia" like. Subjugating women is at the heart of Sharia.

  9. #429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I see more danger of Conservative Christians trying to enact their versions of Sharia.
    Forcing children of incest and rape victims to bear their attackers children is very "Sharia" like. Subjugating women is at the heart of Sharia.
    i agree in principle, but theres a significant gap between the debate on when life actually begins (all research points to consciousness-like brain activity within the first 3 months of pregnancy, and i'm pro-choice), and stoning your daughter to death for looking at a boy.

  10. #430
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Do think Sharia Law is a REAL possiblity in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    the main thing that worries me is complacency. i understand where you're coming from, but lets look at what actually happens in two scenarios:

    a muslim woman wears her religious garb in america, no one bothers her, she goes about her business and goes home.
    a muslim woman doesnt wear her religious garb in a muslim-majority country (most of them, there are a few non-radical exceptions like turkey/indonesia), she gets harrassed/beaten, and goes home bruised to be further discplined by her husband.

    so, i don't want sharia here, because i don't want my sisters or my mothers/grandmothers, or my daughters/granddaughters if i ever have any having to deal with even the possibility of being forced into such an abusive thing as a state under sharia law.

    this is what sharia law looks like:


    i just don't want the slippery slope, i understand you're supporting we simply not allow the more radical elements of sharia, but that's unlikely to occur in practice. in areas of the world where sharia law is in place, it's all or nothing, 'moderate' sharia does not exist or at-least i'm not familiar with any examples but i'll be more than willing to look into any sources you have that can demonstrate that such a thing exists.
    I'd imagine all decent people are horrified at these appalling acts of violence against women that occur in the ME, but they don't occur (IMO) because of the religious beliefs of the people there. Human rights violations are always worse in countries that lack such features of first world nations are industrialization, public education, a significant middle class, etc. I don't see much difference between a woman being stoned to death for some "violation" of religious law (as interpreted by some cult leader) and a baby girl left to die of exposure in China because of the "one child" law.

    In the US, the factors that create a danger to women in the ME Muslim nations cannot be replicated. Does that mean there'll never be a death by stoning here? Certainly not -- murders happen here every day. But we do have law and order, and we do punish law breakers even if they fervently believe their actions were dictated by God.

    There's only one sizable Muslim community in the US that I know about -- in Detroit. I lived there, decades ago, and it was scarey to be hassled by gaggles of young Muslim men -- but I felt the cops would step in and protect me if it got too bad. IMO, this is where European nations fell down on the job -- when they began to see street crime by Muslim youths, they tried appeasement rather than stepping up enforcement. I honestly do not think such a thing could happen here. If ever I thought it was, I'd be right there with you, fighting against it.


Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •