View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalised?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    50 76.92%
  • No

    12 18.46%
  • Other

    2 3.08%
  • Rootabega

    1 1.54%
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 196

Thread: Legalisation of Marijuana

  1. #151
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by mhurford View Post
    So since we can't control it at all as you say, we should throw down our efforts to trying to get people to make smart choices in their life and just legalize it?

    Shoot we could even advertise in commercials to buy it at your local gas station. Maybe in ten or twenty years we can legalize crystal meth too because once it gets too hard to control we should give up and legalize it. Sometimes, for the better of man kind, things should be denied to others simply because it's stupid. Anything that impairs your senses or your judgement should be illegal (in my opinion because i'm all about getting smarter, stronger and more advanced versus other nations). We should just be like Amsterdam and make weed legal. open up a few 'Weed Cafe's'. What better way to spend the day then to smoke a plant. It is very productive (sarcasm). You might bring drinking in to this saying it's not productive and it's legal. Well let me say that two wrongs don't make a right. We shouldn't expand choices for stupid options (ie. "hmm... today should i go to a bar and drink my brains out? or maybe grab some weed around the corner and chill at home all day?).

    When things get hard to control, we don't give in and just legalize it like we did with Alcohol. People ask why won't Washington look at legalizing Marijuana when that's what the people want? well in my opinion, I would ignore the issue too if I was in Washington because smoking a plant isn't productive and i wouldn't want to educate people on how 'great and amazing' it makes you feel. I'd rather invest resources in getting people to get more help on career fields they are interested in but don't have money to pursue.

    I never said the DEA was 100% successful. but they have made accomplishments if you look back at their timeline. they have caught several drug lords and thousands of small drug dealers. I'm not sure how you see drug dealing as something as you going to someone and simply applying. trust plays a big role in this system since drugs like marijuana are ILLEGAL. So if your a drug lord who had all your friends arrested for dealing your just gonna go downtown and ask around, "excuse me, can you deal some drugs for me?". It doesn't work that way. Drug dealing is enticed through connections. connections are not made over night. As far as you saying kids find it easier to go to a drug dealer to get drugs. This same rule applies. He doesn't go to google and search for his local drug dealer. He also doesn't ask a kid he barely knows where to get drugs. Even if a kid told another kid where to buy drugs, the dealer doesn't know if this random kid is going to report him or not. Cash rewards are given to people who report drug dealer, not sure if your aware of that (rewards upwards to $10,000 depending on your state). Money like that being rewarded for turning in a drug dealer makes finding trustful customers and loyal drug dealers hard to come by.
    Your post is a litany of red herrings, we can still get people to make smart choices through education, treatment where needed, and as have said repeatedly, the most important step delaying the age of first use. And no legalization does not mean that there will be commercials or that it should or would be promoted, if we do go this route it is crucial we do it right, we deglamourize drugs, and we hobble the black market, we offer treatment where needed, and once again DELAY THE AGE OF FIRST USE.

    attempting to deny drugs (via prohibition) does not keep them from being used, and it has not done anything for usage rates. A properly implemented legalization is not giving up it is changing tactics.

    Getting back to the availability of alcohol versus marijuana these stats are from the NIDA here is the link:
    High School and Youth Trends | DrugFacts | National Institute on Drug Abuse

    this is a comparison of alcohol and marijuana usage rates by grade in school children (within the last month):

    8th grade:
    marijuana 7.2%
    alcohol 4.4%

    10th grade:
    marijuana 17.6%
    alcohol 13.7%

    12th grade:
    marijuana 22.6%
    alcohol 25%

    So tell me, how effective is this drug war in keeping drugs from our kids, and how effective is it at delaying the age of first use? it seems that the majority of kids start on marijuana - the prohibited and supposedly least available option MUCH earlier then the prevalent and supposedly more available alcohol. Kids use marijuana more frequently at younger ages then they do alcohol. The stats do not support what you are trying to argue. If we legalize it and control it we can -say it with me now - "DELAY THE AGE OF FIRST USE" - and this is critical for a long term and overall drug strategy of minimizing addiction rates, usage rates, and the associated harms that may occur as a result.
    Last edited by marduc; 10-18-12 at 05:34 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  2. #152
    User mhurford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 03:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    35

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    What about the fact that keeping marijuana illegal fuels drug cartels and adds to an already overpopulated prison population? There are ill effects to keeping marijuana illegal.
    I'm not saying legalizing Marijuana would be super terrible. Both choices have their pros and cons. I lean more towards it being illegal because i'd rather deal with the issues of keeping it illegal vs. legalizing it and observing our nation become less educated by the month because they are not motivated to get out and get things done. I'd rather invest more money (money we don't have, I know) into agencies like the DEA and taking down cartels. Yes, cartel will be ALWAYS be around, however, if you end them before they grow into a serious illegal organization then it becomes harder to build it back up again when there's a bigger guard on drug trafficking.

    I would also increase the number of prisons in America which would also increase a small number of jobs for those who don't make stupid choices. It's like most elders tell me, "If you're stupid enough to make wrong choices then you can live with the consequences."

    If your fired up for legalizing Marijuana then you do not have your priorities straight.
    "The price of greatness is responsibility." -Winston Churchill

  3. #153
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by mhurford View Post
    So since we can't control it at all as you say, we should throw down our efforts to trying to get people to make smart choices in their life and just legalize it? Shoot we could even advertise in commercials to buy it at your local gas station. Maybe in ten or twenty years we can legalize crystal meth too because once it gets too hard to control we should give up and legalize it. Sometimes, for the better of man kind, things should be denied to others simply because it's stupid. Anything that impairs your senses or your judgement should be illegal (in my opinion because i'm all about getting smarter, stronger and more advanced versus other nations). We should just be like Amsterdam and make weed legal. open up a few 'Weed Cafe's'. What better way to spend the day then to smoke a plant. It is very productive (sarcasm). You might bring drinking in to this saying it's not productive and it's legal. Well let me say that two wrongs don't make a right. We shouldn't expand choices for stupid options (ie. "hmm... today should i go to a bar and drink my brains out? or maybe grab some weed around the corner and chill at home all day?).

    When things get hard to control, we don't give in and just legalize it like we did with Alcohol. People ask why won't Washington look at legalizing Marijuana when that's what the people want? well in my opinion, I would ignore the issue too if I was in Washington because smoking a plant isn't productive and i wouldn't want to educate people on how 'great and amazing' it makes you feel. I'd rather invest resources in getting people to get more help on career fields they are interested in but don't have money to pursue.

    I never said the DEA was 100% successful. but they have made accomplishments if you look back at their timeline. they have caught several drug lords and thousands of small drug dealers. I'm not sure how you see drug dealing as something as you going to someone and simply applying. trust plays a big role in this system since drugs like marijuana are ILLEGAL. So if your a drug lord who had all your friends arrested for dealing your just gonna go downtown and ask around, "excuse me, can you deal some drugs for me?". It doesn't work that way. Drug dealing is enticed through connections. connections are not made over night. As far as you saying kids find it easier to go to a drug dealer to get drugs. This same rule applies. He doesn't go to google and search for his local drug dealer. He also doesn't ask a kid he barely knows where to get drugs. Even if a kid told another kid where to buy drugs, the dealer doesn't know if this random kid is going to report him or not. Cash rewards are given to people who report drug dealer, not sure if your aware of that (rewards upwards to $10,000 depending on your state). Money like that being rewarded for turning in a drug dealer makes finding trustful customers and loyal drug dealers hard to come by.
    Your rhetoric suggests you've never smoked marijuana. Have you?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #154
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by mhurford View Post
    I'm not saying legalizing Marijuana would be super terrible. Both choices have their pros and cons. I lean more towards it being illegal because i'd rather deal with the issues of keeping it illegal vs. legalizing it and observing our nation become less educated by the month because they are not motivated to get out and get things done.
    This wouldn't happen. In fact, evidence seems to suggest that if marijuana were to be made legal, there would be not dramatic increase in usage, and there's a possibility that usage may even go down.

  5. #155
    User mhurford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 03:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    35

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Your post is a litany of red herrings, we can still get people to make smart choices through education, treatment where needed, and as have said repeatedly, the most important step delaying the age of first use. And no legalization does not mean that there will be commercials or that it should or would be promoted, if we do go this route it is crucial we do it right, we deglamourize drugs, and we hobble the black market, we offer treatment where needed, and once again DELAY THE AGE OF FIRST USE.

    attempting to deny drugs (via prohibition) does not keep them from being used, and it has not done anything for usage rates. A properly implemented legalization is not giving up it is changing tactics.

    Getting back to the availability of alcohol versus marijuana these stats are from the NIDA here is the link:
    High School and Youth Trends | DrugFacts | National Institute on Drug Abuse

    this is a comparison of alcohol and marijuana usage rates by grade in school children (within the last month):

    8th grade:
    marijuana 7.2%
    alcohol 4.4%

    10th grade:
    marijuana 17.6%
    alcohol 13.7%

    12th grade:
    marijuana 22.6%
    alcohol 25%

    So tell me, how effective is this drug war in keeping drugs from our kids, and how effective is it at delaying the age of first use? it seems that the majority of kids start on marijuana - the prohibited and supposedly least available option MUCH earlier then the prevalent and supposedly more available alcohol. Kids use marijuana more frequently at younger ages then they do alcohol. The stats do not support what you are trying to argue. If we legalize it and control it we can -say it with me now - "DELAY THE AGE OF FIRST USE" - and this is critical for a long term and overall drug strategy of minimizing addiction rates, usage rates, and the associated harms that may occur as a result.
    oh boy. okay, first, let check out this golden plan of yours. By legalizing weed, you actually seriously believe the use of it will go down with minors? You must be using some intense educational tactic to do this because no one listens in school about drugs (Maybe you went to a private fancy school, but I went to a public school). you really don't think a 21 year old relative is gonna buy kids marijuana like they do with beer? you just make it easier for them. so your wonderful plan to "DELAY THE AGE OF FIRST USE" (this is my favorite..lol) becomes increasing easy to get. there must be hundreds of kids at school who i could ask them to ask there older brother to buy a bunch of weed. your not thinking IN DEPTH about your answer that we have all been waiting for.

    Addiction rates would increase because someone could pay a person who needs some cash and is over a certain age to get them weed.

    what I'm very interested in with you good sir is this "control" you speak of. Really really really think about it and all the back doors please. thanks.

    This might be too far forward for you to think about your plan but you can try I hope. Say you legalize it, think of the market your opening, more competitors means lower prices. lower priced weed makes it super tempting to try.

    We 'delayed the age of first use' with cigarettes, I see 16 year old kids running around smoking cigarettes because it is simple to get.
    Last edited by mhurford; 10-18-12 at 05:56 PM.
    "The price of greatness is responsibility." -Winston Churchill

  6. #156
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    This wouldn't happen. In fact, evidence seems to suggest that if marijuana were to be made legal, there would be not dramatic increase in usage, and there's a possibility that usage may even go down.
    You mean like how alcohol use was virtually eliminated after it became legal? Oh wait...

  7. #157
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by mhurford View Post
    oh boy. okay, first, let check out this golden plan of yours. By legalizing weed, you actually seriously believe the use of it will go down with minors? You must be using some intense educational tactic to do this because no one listens in school about drugs (Maybe you went to a private fancy school, but I went to a public school). you really don't think a 21 year old relative is gonna buy kids marijuana like they do with beer? you just make it easier for them. so your wonderful plan to "DELAY THE AGE OF FIRST USE" (this is my favorite..lol) becomes increasing easy to get. there must be hundreds of kids at school who i could ask them to ask there older brother to buy a bunch of weed. your not thinking IN DEPTH about your answer that we have all been waiting for.
    The usage rates I provided render your rebuttal to a whole lot of empty bluster. If you want to even have a chance of doing anything aside from attempting a very weak attempt at ridicule (and if you want your attempt at ridicule to have a remote chance of success) you have to refute the data I provided - because it absolutely contradicts what you are trying to use as your rebuttal.

    simple question from the usage rates i provided, which is used more frequently at a younger age? Alcohol which is legal and controlled, or marijuana which is illegal and uncontrolled?

    edit since I see you edited this in:
    We 'delayed the age of first use' with cigarettes, I see 16 year old kids running around smoking cigarettes because it is simple to get.
    Some will still use, no doubt about it, the whole point is to minimize this not eradicate it, it is impossible to do that. But lets look at cigarettes.. there are no advertisements for them anymore, they have been deglamourized, and people have been educated on their potential harms. Guess what has happened? usage rates have been steadily declining for some time now. the facts again support what I am arguing here.
    Last edited by marduc; 10-18-12 at 06:03 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  8. #158
    Professor
    Amigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,945

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    I think it should be illegal to sell Pot. However, I don't think the government should prohibit it to be grown on private property.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT on Nov 8th, 2012 View Post
    Over the next four years the economy will continue to rebound and we will gradually get deficits under control. The real esate market will rebound, unemployment will fall to 6.5% or below, and GDP growth will stand at 3.5 - 4%. We won't be in any wars. And conservatives will still be whining.

  9. #159
    User mhurford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 03:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    35

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    The usage rates I provided render your rebuttal to a whole lot of empty bluster. If you want to even have a chance of doing anything aside from attempting a very weak attempt at ridicule (and if you want your attempt at ridicule to have a remote chance of success) you have to refute the data I provided.

    simple question from the usage rates i provided, which is used more frequently at a younger age? Alcohol which is legal and controlled, or marijuana which is illegal and uncontrolled?

    edit since I see you edited this in:


    Some will still use, no doubt about it, the whole point is to minimize this not eradicate it it is impossible to do that. But lets look at cigarettes.. there are no advertisements for them anymore, they have been deglamourized, and people have been educated on their potential harms. Guess what has happened? usage rates have been steadily declining for some time now. the facts again support what I am arguing here.
    the answer to your question is marijuana. You are failing to answer my question. how is your "delaying the age of first use" going to decrease this percentage? I would like a VALID response.
    "The price of greatness is responsibility." -Winston Churchill

  10. #160
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: Legalisation of Marijuana

    99% of all heroin users drank milk as a child, therefore milk is a gateway drug. If pot is illegal . . . shouldn't milk be illegal as well?

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •