View Poll Results: Is this a breach of liberty?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    27 56.25%
  • No

    21 43.75%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 148

Thread: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

  1. #81
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    he takes nothing away from any worker
    he is using his status as employer to force his staff to hear his pro-romney perspective
    but there is no abuse there (assuming he is paying his staff while they are attending that meeting)
    and there certainly is no taking away of personal freedoms
    not a single employee is prevented from exercising their rights because of his actions
    The first guy is making a blatent threat ... not that he might have to make a buisiness decision .. but that he will fire people if obama gets elected, which would be taken as a threat by anyone.

    As for the second guy, if the government forced you to watch government propeganda you'd call that an abuse of personal freedom ... rightly so, this is as well.

    you wrongly presume that there is anything which needs be stopped
    that employer has every right to engage in free speech
    he has done nothing wrong
    while i do not agree with his political position, it is incumbent on us to recognize he should in no way be deprived of his right to free speech
    Threatening people's lively hood, or forcing people to watch propeganda is not just free speach ...

    and what is wrong with his saying that
    hell, there is nothing illegal about him actually doing that
    unless he is bound by contract, in a right to work state, and most others, he can terminate his employees for any reason other than those protected (race, ethnicity, religion, disability, age, marital status) including that the guy he wanted was not elected
    that would be an imprudent decision, but it is one, as business owner, he has the right to exercise

    freedom. what a concept [/s]
    The point is that Capitalism, i.e. economic plutocracy, destroys politica lfreedom ... those workers are NOT free, because their livelyhood is tied to the Capitalist because of the institutions of capitalism. So in this case, Capitalism, i.e. the control of the means of production by Capitalists and only being accountable to profit, TAKES FREEDOM AWAY from workers.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    thus, the tax rate has NO bearing on the employees required by the business
    No, but what it DOES affect is the PROFITS the company sees on that $1 Million. Whether it's a 15% or 85% tax rate DOES have a massive impact on the company's PROFITS. So what the boss is saying is this..... "If the taxes go up and my profits go down, I'm going to have to reduce expenses to maintain that profit margin. I'll do that by laying people off. If I can't get to that profit margin with the reduced workforce I'll simply close the shop, take my metaphorical ball, and go home where I already have a nice little nest egg set aside."

  3. #83
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    thus, the tax rate has NO bearing on the employees required by the business
    No, but what it DOES affect is the PROFITS the company sees on that $1 Million. Whether it's a 15% or 85% tax rate DOES have a massive impact on the company's PROFITS. So what the boss is saying is this..... "If the taxes go up and my profits go down, I'm going to have to reduce expenses to maintain that profit margin. I'll do that by laying people off. If I can't get to that profit margin with the reduced workforce I'll simply close the shop, take my metaphorical ball, and go home where I already have a nice little nest egg set aside."
    What you just described is how tax rates DO (or CAN) have a bearing on employment.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #84
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post

    Yet I guess libertarians will thing this is absolutely ok ... which goes to show, they don't care about liberty, they are all for private plutocratic tyrannies.
    Libertarians, you mean the people who are against coercion of any kind and worship the bill of rights? Yeah, that does sound like us to endorse coercion and pressure workers out of their consitutional rights.

    If you're going to throw insults around, at least be accurate.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 10-17-12 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What you just described is how tax rates DO (or CAN) have a bearing on employment.
    Exactly. It's the main way that government affecte ANY business... through taxes, licensing fees, etc....

    I work in a State Regulated industry (Electric Utility). Last year this company laid off over 1200 employees. You want to know why?.... Because they didn't get a positive result on the Rate Cases they filed with the states we do business in and they'd already promised a specific profit margin to the investors. Therefore the only way to make that profit margin was to get rid of the one disposible expense.... EMPLOYEES.

  6. #86
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,131

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    No, but what it DOES affect is the PROFITS the company sees on that $1 Million. Whether it's a 15% or 85% tax rate DOES have a massive impact on the company's PROFITS. So what the boss is saying is this..... "If the taxes go up and my profits go down, I'm going to have to reduce expenses to maintain that profit margin. I'll do that by laying people off. If I can't get to that profit margin with the reduced workforce I'll simply close the shop, take my metaphorical ball, and go home where I already have a nice little nest egg set aside."
    as i pointed out, the tax rate will impact the after-tax profits generated by the business
    but that has absolutely NO bearing on the employees hired to generate the revenues which will ultimately be taxed
    your suggestion that the employer would be wise to reduce staff again demonstrates how so many of those on the right know so little about how business and the economy works. thus, they subscribe to this voodoo economic propaganda. the employer who terminates his employees because of higher tax rates cuts his own financial throat
    only a fool would knowingly reduce employees which will then reduce profits, only because they want to reduce the taxes paid on a lower amount of profits
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #87
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    as i pointed out, the tax rate will impact the after-tax profits generated by the business
    but that has absolutely NO bearing on the employees hired to generate the revenues which will ultimately be taxed
    your suggestion that the employer would be wise to reduce staff again demonstrates how so many of those on the right know so little about how business and the economy works. thus, they subscribe to this voodoo economic propaganda. the employer who terminates his employees because of higher tax rates cuts his own financial throat
    only a fool would knowingly reduce employees which will then reduce profits, only because they want to reduce the taxes paid on a lower amount of profits
    What you are saying just isn't remotely true.

  8. #88
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    COSTS... regardless what form they take... most certainly do have bearing on other aspects of business, including how many employees a business can or is willing to hire.

    A good business will not hire 50 employees when 30 will do simply because costs are low, but they might try and get by with hiring 25 when they really need 30 if costs are high.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #89
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,131

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    What you are saying just isn't remotely true.
    and it is noted that you have made no effort to disprove my position
    try again
    this time offer something of substance
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: CEOs taking away political freedom of workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    He's saying if Obama gets elected he will fire employees ... NOT if the taxes are raised.
    The assumption being that Obama would raise his taxes. And he does say "if my taxes go up I will lay off workers"

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •