View Poll Results: Should the country (taxes) pay for women's contraception?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    45 38.46%
  • No

    72 61.54%
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 491

Thread: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

  1. #121
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I think that's kind of a loaded statement. It's not women's health care in general being opted out, it's one specific thing, and no one who wants it would be denied it.

    The difference is how controversial things like this and Obama care are. Americans are a very diverse people, where one set of conditions is not right for everyone.

    Let me give an example. I live in Germany, where there's state health care, and private health care. One has a choice to opt out of the state health care and go private, however, don't expect to be able to come back. I, for one, am staying with the state health care, because it covers almost everything, and I know that I'll be medically taken care of for the rest of my life. My wife and daughters will have access to contraceptives through the insurance.

    However, the important thing about this is that no one who is against state health care is paying for me.

    We both realize there are a lot of things that aren't viable to be opt-in/opt-out, but there simply are a lot of things that are. We as Americans don't have to agree on every issue. There are some issues where both sides can walk away happy. I'm willing to bet if given the choice that most americans WOULD opt-in for contraceptives.
    This is the federal government we're talking about here. I'm not sure they could handle managing several different types of contraception rather than 1 all encompassing plan. They like those.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

  2. #122
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    I have no problem with their being some assistance for the poor. Planned Parenthood which is independant cannot do it all nor can any of the like organizations.
    As far as generally I would have to say no.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  3. #123
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Why is reproductive health an individual responsibility - but nothing else is?

    Surgeries, dental care, neuropsych, psych meds, physical and psych therapy, even some types of cessation care, pain relief, antibacterial efforts, hospital stays and emergency room visits (even the stupid ones from someone being a total idiot like when my husband was 17 and he fell off the cab of a moving truck), broken bones . . .etc.

    But having a child or not having a child - the most extreme life altering path that could ever be taken because it's creating a new life that's entirely dependent on the parents for countless years . . . that is nothing but a personal 'problem'

    And why just reproductive care being an individual responsibility - we cover all things related to pregnancy itself. Even DNC if the mother miscarries. Prenatal vitamins, pap smears, sonograms, urine testing, glucose screening, diabetes treatments, nutritional supplements, therapy for those who have odd cravings, Lamaze is even covered by some insurance companies.

    You're dumbing it down to being like diapers and formula (which some are covered if it's of a special-nature)
    Because everything you mentioned requires some sort of healthcare professional that only the richest people in the country could afford without insurance. And people who go to those places generally have insurance (not counting emergency room scandals) paid for by themselves, not everyone else.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

  4. #124
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krystov View Post
    Because everything you mentioned requires some sort of healthcare professional that only the richest people in the country could afford without insurance. And people who go to those places generally have insurance (not counting emergency room scandals) paid for by themselves, not everyone else.
    What are the numbers - that 12-15% of the population is without healthcare coverage of any type . . . leaving the remaining 85 - 88% covered. 85-88% of the country is rich? Hardly the case.

    You're building a strawman out of false assumptions.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #125
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Should medical treatment for the following conditions be covered?

    -Ovarian cysts
    -Acne
    -Endometriosis
    -Irregular menstrual cycles
    -Anemia

    FYI: The best and in some cases the only treatment for these ailments are birth control pills. It doesn't even mean the patient is sexually active. Sexually abstainate Roman Catholic nuns might be prescribed birth control pills to treat these conditions. I'm aware of one teenage young lady who had insurance through her mom's job at a Catholic hospital that refused to cover birth control pills. She absolutely did not need birth control pills for pregnancy prevention but she did need them for cystic ovaries. The condition got so bad she eventually needed surgery.

    Aspirin not only treats headaches, it also is used as a heart health therapy at Drs. direction. Benadryl not only treat hay fever, its also used as an emergency bee hive attack antidote and as sleeping pills. Many medications have numerous possible uses. IMHO its unfortunate to get hung up on the terminology of "birth control pills".
    In those cases you need a diagnosis, and that usually comes with a prescription. That's different because prescriptions are generally covered under private healthcare. We're talking about people just want it so they can have more sex.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

  6. #126
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yes - what's wrong with everyone who has this problem?

    The pregnancy should be avoided if the couple or she is unable to support a child . . . duh.
    Octomom. They don't care if they can support a child. If anything, they'll use it to get the tax credits on their return. People need to be RESPONSIBLE for themselves, not leech the system for a handout that gets you out of trouble whenever you like.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

  7. #127
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,562

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krystov View Post
    This is the federal government we're talking about here. I'm not sure they could handle managing several different types of contraception rather than 1 all encompassing plan. They like those.
    Yep, that's the problem. I however will not let their incompetence in implementing plans prevent me from suggesting the proper course of action.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #128
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    There is still a large contingency of American society that views sexually active women who don't wish to reproduce as whores who are trying to shirk their responsibilities. We still have this implicit, deeply rooted Puritanical sexism about it, despite the fact that almost everyone woman in America uses birth control at some point. When it's us or women we know, it's different. When it's some theoretical woman, they're just sluts looking for other people to pay for their "bad behavior."
    I don't care if I know you or not. If you go around sleeping with a bunch of different people just for fun, you're a slut. Man or woman makes not difference.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

  9. #129
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Let me start off by saying that I'm no fan of taxpayer supported services. However - we already pay for public assistance in many forms. Welfare, WIC, Medicaid, etc... what is the difference between using taxpayer dollars to support paying for birth control for those who need it, yet can not afford it?

    My argument for supporting such a thing, is saving taxpayer dollars in the long run. We would no longer be supporting unemployed women/men with children that are using many different public assistance programs. Meaning, it would be cheaper preventing unwanted pregnancies and less of a drain on taxpayer money, the less people that broken system has to support to begin with.

    I'm all about personal responsibility for women AND men. However, unless and until we fix the social programs that taxpayers are already shelling out millions of dollars for - I would think it would be beneficial overall to support prevention of unwanted pregnancies.

    Although, it would still be up to the person(s) receiving 'free' birth control to actually USE it. That is a different topic entirely.
    No one NEEDS birth control. People make decisions that put them in situations where they would need it to prevent unwanted outcomes, but they could just as easily not make that decision. People need to be accountable and responsible for their decisions and "welfare contraceptives" basically say "it's okay, go ahead, I'll bail you out" at my expense.

    That said medical conditions requiring BC pills can and should be covered by private healthcare companies to provide that aid. If the federal support system is going to also provide this, they need to really scrutinize who is eligible for it and why. But if they can't even do this with the basic welfare system I don't see how they can do it with BC pills too.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

  10. #130
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    I have no problem with their being some assistance for the poor. Planned Parenthood which is independant cannot do it all nor can any of the like organizations.
    As far as generally I would have to say no.
    I agree, but the circumstances by which one can get on and stay on welfare should be more tightly scrutinized. Too many take advantage of the system and I have a problem support a family who won't support itself.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •