View Poll Results: Should the country (taxes) pay for women's contraception?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    45 38.46%
  • No

    72 61.54%
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 491

Thread: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    I wasn't around back then so I couldn't tell you, but I doubt you could walk in to the local Walgreens and buy a box of Trojans in 1922.

    Also, since condoms were the only commercial birth control method we have agreed was even available, their usage rate would have had to be astronomical to have any noticeable impact, nationally.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Yeah, starvation and disease tends to put a cramp in your reproductive organs.

    And actually, you're wrong about condoms. Condoms have been widely available since the 1800's. As a matter of fact, the 1920's was when the latex condom first came out. They were more effective and longer-lasting than previous varieties.

  2. #102
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,918

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Adam Smith remarked that "the most decisive mark of the prosperity of any country is the increase of the number of its inhabitants."

    Livi-Bacci observed, "All things being equal, population increase leads to increased per capita production."

    Mark Steyn notes in America Alone, "There is no precedent in human history for economic growth on declining human capital."

    Simon Smith Kuznets won the Nobel Prize in economics for his theory of "tested knowledge." As Kuznets explained: "More population means more creators and producers, both of goods along established production patterns and of new knowledge and inventions."


    So much for the theory that population control is good for society.
    First, did you even note, that the number of abortions was reduced? If you are pro-life, you should be cheering that.

    And yes, population control is good for society. Uncontrolled growth is not healthy growth. A family with more children than they can afford, a girl having child when she has no job and then can't afford to have a job because of child care, puts a strain on society, as noted in the Guttmacher quote. We need social programs to help them, but I think we can all agree that $11 billion a year is a tremendous sum and reducing it would benefit society in other ways.

  3. #103
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'll show you guys something to drive the population argument home intuitively.



    This is a population map of the USA. Do you think the east coast is "overpopulated?" No, it is fine.

    Now we have the WHOLE REST of the country where barely anyone lives. We could put a lot more people out west and believe me, there's room and plenty of food.
    Out west - in the desert - where it rains a few times a year - and they already have water shortages . . . there's plenty of water?

    Even California struggles for water - it hardly has any of it's own. . . .but if the east-coast isn't overpopulated eventhough it's looking pretty red, there - then why move anyone anywhere?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm well versed in population dynamics and the demographic transition. I doubt someone of your expertise on this subject could surmise the major factors of such satisfactorily, and I don't feel like going down that road at the moment.
    Hey, tell us all how smart and well-educated you are, ecofarm.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    That's what I'm saying. There's room for lots of babies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Out west - in the desert - where it rains a few times a year - and they already have water shortages . . . there's plenty of water?

    Even California struggles for water - it hardly has any of it's own. . . .but if the east-coast isn't overpopulated eventhough it's looking pretty red, there - then why move anyone anywhere?

  6. #106
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,874
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Yesh.



    ......
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    I'm not making an argument about abortion, I'm just pointing out that most economists believe that a growing population is a good thing... economically speaking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    First, did you even note, that the number of abortions was reduced? If you are pro-life, you should be cheering that.

    And yes, population control is good for society. Uncontrolled growth is not healthy growth. A family with more children than they can afford, a girl having child when she has no job and then can't afford to have a job because of child care, puts a strain on society, as noted in the Guttmacher quote. We need social programs to help them, but I think we can all agree that $11 billion a year is a tremendous sum and reducing it would benefit society in other ways.

  8. #108
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,918

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm not making an argument about abortion, I'm just pointing out that most economists believe that a growing population is a good thing... economically speaking.
    And I'm placing a condition on that statement. Uncontrolled anything, is not healthy.

  9. #109
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    Regardless if we have room for more population, there is an issue at hand where people are having problems taking care of the children they already have. There is also an issue with kids needing to be adopted. Contraceptives are an excellent way to be responsible individuals. Most women are not whores. IMO men need to learn to keep it in their pants or use a condom.
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should the country pay for women's contraceptives?

    This is a good point, as is Aunt Spiker's point about water availability. The fact is, though, that while the east coast is naturally able to support more people than, say, Arizona, the United States as a whole is nowhere near overpopulated. We are uniquely positioned for the future due to this fact.

    We are still a young country.

    One good source to read up more on this is the CIA fact book, which is available online.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    ??? That's quite an arbitrary assertion. The standard I use for whether I feel that a place is overpopulated goes like this: Would the carrying capacity of the local ecosystem sustain this number of people? If not, then the area is overpopulated.



    Ignoring for a moment how this could actually happen (i.e. how we would maintain a peaceful transition onto other people's land), there are large areas of land that are sparsely populated because they're uninhabitable. Other large pieces of land in the "breadbasket" are mono-crop agriculture, i.e. crops planted year after year which have depleted soils and only grow there because of petrochemical fertilizers and water pumped from non-replenishing fossil aquifers (as ecofarm notes above).


Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •