View Poll Results: Would you support male contraceptives?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would support male contraceptives?

    28 90.32%
  • No, I wouldn't support male contraceptives?

    3 9.68%
  • I don't know.

    0 0%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 148

Thread: Would you support a male contraceptive?

  1. #61
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Quote Originally Posted by NitroHangover View Post
    I don't think there's anything "natural" about it. It is always done by artificial means. I mean, there is no natural, biological mechanism by which a woman can intentionally miscarry. And I've read the couple of examples of "abortions" in other species. They don't sound anything like abortions, to me.

    Anyway, it's moot, because we're talking about the here and now, and the question is one of legal fairness. Today, in this country, the law gives women the right to have an abortion. Biology was never consulted about it. And the truth is, if abortion were made illegal except in cases of rape or life-threatening condition, I wouldn't be arguing that men should have a way to opt out. I don't believe that either should. But as long as the law continues to grant the right to one, it should also grant the right to the other.

    That's not true. There are dozens of natural means of abortion, using physical or herbal methods. They are not quite as effective as modern medical means. And in many cases, they aren't as safe either. But women have been performing abortions since before civilization. Abortion is quite natural.

    The fact that it's behavioral instead of internal doesn't make it any less natural. Behavior is natural.

    Horses can miscarry at will. And they do if they aren't permitted to mask paternity by having sex with multiple males. That's an abortion.

    On the latter point, I agree.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-15-12 at 01:10 AM.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    No. A man should have authority over how he spends his own time and money.

    The woman can decide to do whatever she wants with the pregnancy. She should not be able to decide to force the man to support her when he never agreed to her decision.
    He agreed to have sex, and the risk of parenthood is one of the risks from having sex. By having sex, he accepted that risk He can avoid having intercourse, and have anal or oral sex instead to prevent pregnancy. But at the end of 9 months if a child is born then in the majority of cases both are responsible
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  3. #63
    Advisor NitroHangover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-13-17 @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    584

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    I am sure the law does not stop a man from having an abortion
    Only because it doesn't need to. But for all intents and purposes, it stops him from having the male equivalent.

    Look, an abortion is not only about what happens for the next 9 months. It is about what happens for the next 20 years or longer.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I noticed how you still haven't figured out how you got everything backwards so far. You are saying men should be able to forced to care for children, but women can basically kill whatever they want. The logic in that is in fact backwards. It makes more sense to say that the woman can't abort and the man is not forced into anything if we are dealing with a responsibility argument, but you are in fact doing the exact opposite.
    Not by a long shot

    Both can abort a pregnancy if they are pregnant, if the pregnancy is not ended then both are responsible for the baby

    I do not support forcing either the man or the woman to have an abortion, so one of the two is going to have to accept the decision of the other person regarding what to do with their own body, that might mean the pregnancy is ended or that both will become parents
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #65
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    He agreed to have sex, and the risk of parenthood is one of the risks from having sex. By having sex, he accepted that risk He can avoid having intercourse, and have anal or oral sex instead to prevent pregnancy. But at the end of 9 months if a child is born then in the majority of cases both are responsible
    What you're espousing is sexist. Women should be free to choose, but men should be legally enslaved to pay for her decision.

  6. #66
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Though - I think the court's view should be that the situation shouldn't pressure a woman into an abortion. Though it is legal - it shouldn't be the pushed-for choice. Honestly. If more women engage in sex and end up pregnant she shouldn't have to consider abortion as if it's her only viable option.

    And such arguments as they're presented really aim to make abortion THE ideal choice - and it's not. A lot of people would never choose to have an abortion no matter what - regardless of whether it's legal or not. And they shouldn't be guilted or pressured into that - ever. And so that just reiterates why men and women just shouldn't engage in sex if they aren't willing to discuss the what-ifs and know where each one lies. . . it's a bit of maturity that's required.

    "It should be legalized - but not legitimized" - this is what someone on this forum said about prostitution and I think it applies to abortion as well. It should never be seen or considered a viable option - it should only be for those who have NO other choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by NitroHangover View Post
    Wait, so you mean there are actual cases of this happening? Can you link? Because I am aware of some identical situations, even some where the woman herself, in court, said she did not want the man's support because they'd agreed he wouldn't be responsible, and the court still made him pay, against both their wishes. She actually had to accept his checks each month, cash them, and then give him his money back. Which of course still puts him right back at her mercy. It's that ****ed up.
    I remember a particular case - in 2002 maybe - where this was the case. In the end - he didn't have to pay child support. I'm trying to find the case now - it was a long time ago, my memory might be rusty. But it was early 2000's because I remember discussing it at a certain forum elsewhere.

    Though - now that I think about it - I'm unsure if it was an American case. Might have been Canadian . . . because that's where said forum was spawned.

    I'll keep looking.

    Now - personally, for me, the courts ruled my ex was suppose to pay support - but I didn't want his support so I didn't process a claim for it, etc. And no one but me ever understood why I did that - no one could fathom why I didn't want support. They thought I was nuts - even my husband when we first married. . .eventually his pressure on me made me pursue it which quickly led to the exact reason why I didn't want it: his wife (ok - we're talking many years passing - he remarried and so did I over time) . . . his wife decided to pursue his visitation rights. . . Then my husband experienced first hand why I didn't want support - and he regretted pressuring me into it after all those years. . . and then he adopted the boys, forever ending his 'right' to claim them as his in any fashion.

    So - the courts can be sidestepped if it's done in a certain way.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 10-15-12 at 01:24 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Not by a long shot

    Both can abort a pregnancy if they are pregnant, if the pregnancy is not ended then both are responsible for the baby

    I do not support forcing either the man or the woman to have an abortion, so one of the two is going to have to accept the decision of the other person regarding what to do with their own body, that might mean the pregnancy is ended or that both will become parents
    That argument makes no sense either. Only one can ever become pregnant by the natural order and pretending otherwise is completely retarded and I'm not going to say anything more on it. The second part is just legal nonsense and has nothing to do with your comments about responsibility.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    What you're espousing is sexist. Women should be free to choose, but men should be legally enslaved to pay for her decision.
    Did he not choose to have sex? If not I would hope he pressed sexual assualt charges. He choose to have sex, and as such accept the possiblity of having a child
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  9. #69
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That argument makes no sense either. Only one can ever become pregnant by the natural order and pretending otherwise is completely retarded and I'm not going to say anything more on it. The second part is just legal nonsense and has nothing to do with your comments about responsibility.
    So you accept that biologically men and women when it comes to reproduction are different,

    Now just how do you think biology should effect reproductive rights?
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  10. #70
    Advisor NitroHangover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-13-17 @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    584

    Re: Would you support a male contraceptive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Did he not choose to have sex? If not I would hope he pressed sexual assualt charges. He choose to have sex, and as such accept the possiblity of having a child
    Then you have to say the same thing to her when she tries to have an abortion.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •