View Poll Results: What's wrong with these people?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, mega is flawed in some way

    0 0%
  • They need to grow up

    0 0%
  • Their emotional circuitry is somehow damaged

    1 7.69%
  • They have convinced themselves of it, nothing is wrong with them

    2 15.38%
  • Mega doesn't understand the logic

    3 23.08%
  • Other

    3 23.08%
  • rootabega

    4 30.77%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 74

Thread: Inability to understand love

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Who ever actually makes the argument they did everything themselves? I see a whole of this being born from a strawman, but never from what is actually said.
    Oh, no, no, no. I can no longer direct you to his posts, the forum no longer exists, but he is very real. He lives on a farm in Texas. Grows his own everything and no matter the evidence or argument, he insisted he was an island, needing one one and nothing from anybody. I briefly crossed paths with someone here like this, but I'm so sorry, I can't remember who it was. We didn't go beyond two posts and replies ad it was over.

    I don't want to degrade the person from the other forum, he was very earnest in his beliefs, but I do think, he was just out of touch with the concept that one life, touches so many others.

    Believe as you will, but I have no reason to lie or exaggerate.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I agree with that. The thing about that "islander" perspective is that it is directly contradictory to human psychology/biology. For the most part, we need many things outside of ourselves, including other people. As a result, that viewpoint is unrealistic.
    Yes and as I just posted to Henrin, one life touches so many others in ways we cannot predict, let alone what they produce with their hands.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Its a reason to the objectivists or the sympathizers of objectivists who believe that any human emotion, including love, is inherently selfish. I simply do not understand why they could some to such a conclusion and I am looking for answers.

    When I first started on this forum, it was a quest to understand conservative thinking. I think I understand it pretty well now, so now I am trying to understand another group of people.

    I think they're over-analyzing everything.


    Love IS. Like little girls and butterflies, it needs no explanation.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #24
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I think they're over-analyzing everything.


    Love IS. Like little girls and butterflies, it needs no explanation.
    This is probably true. I am an analyzer by nature, I break everything down into its pieces and seek to understand the mechanics of everything in life. It has its advantages and disadvantages for sure.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    This is probably true. I am an analyzer by nature, I break everything down into its pieces and seek to understand the mechanics of everything in life. It has its advantages and disadvantages for sure.

    Perhaps love can be broken down into brain chemicals, instincts, and social conditioning... but even if that is so, that does not make it any less real for he who loves.

    I think we approach it from that basis.

    Is love, as the objectivist claims, selfish? If you see it that way, then perhaps it is, to you. If you see it as selfless, you're more likely to act that way aren't you?

    A good reason not to marry an Objectivist, methinks.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #26
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Perhaps love can be broken down into brain chemicals, instincts, and social conditioning... but even if that is so, that does not make it any less real for he who loves.

    I think we approach it from that basis.

    Is love, as the objectivist claims, selfish? If you see it that way, then perhaps it is, to you. If you see it as selfless, you're more likely to act that way aren't you?

    A good reason not to marry an Objectivist, methinks.
    Oh I absolutely agree. One fundamental characteristic of any living thing is that it has its limitation and its foundations. In terms of humanity, the limitations are many and the foundations are matter and energy (or more if you are religious, but I am seeking common ground with anyone who may be reading this), any human emotional capacity has to be based on those foundational things because our make up provides mechanisms for everything we do, think, and feel.

    So, any emotion is a wash of electrical impulses and chemical signals washing through the brain. So be it, however, I agree, the experience and the totality of love stands on its own at the same time .

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Oh and btw, thank you for another wonderful and satisfying opportunity to vote "Rootebega".



    If only Rootebega were an option in the upcoming elections.... ay, que lastima!

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #28
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Oh and btw, thank you for another wonderful and satisfying opportunity to vote "Rootebega".



    If only Rootebega were an option in the upcoming elections.... ay, que lastima!
    You know I did it for you

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Perhaps love can be broken down into brain chemicals, instincts, and social conditioning... but even if that is so, that does not make it any less real for he who loves.
    No, it certainly does not.

    For me, it's as real as any solid object though love has no tangible properties. Those I love, I do fiercely and wholeheartedly.

  10. #30
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Inability to understand love

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Its a reason to the objectivists or the sympathizers of objectivists who believe that any human emotion, including love, is inherently selfish. I simply do not understand why they could some to such a conclusion and I am looking for answers.
    Probably on the basis that we only express love to make ourselves feel good. I'm not sure how true that is, but there's something (perhaps a bit nihilist) to it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •