View Poll Results: Should the media give equal coverage to the libertarian and green parties?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It would afford viable political options outside of the status quo by their lack of coverage

    35 68.63%
  • No. They shouldn't force coverage of something the public isn't interested in

    14 27.45%
  • Yes, but only if we also incorporate a run off election

    2 3.92%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I'm watching an interview on CNN with the potus candidates from the Green and Libertarian parties. We can moan and gran all we want but tbo Democrats and the GOP are very likey going to own the US political system until the media starts paying other parties some attention and treat them equally.

    Should the media treat the Libertarian and Green parties with the same seriousness as the GOP and he DNC? Shoud the Libertarian and Green parties be included in the debates and their primary debates covered by the meda? The obvious outcome IMHO will be a viable third and possibly fourth party. Is that even a good thing. Do we want to elect a potus with only 26% of the popular vote? Woud we need to concurrently end the electoral college and go to direct presidential vote with a runoff if no candidate gets 50% plus one vote? Are states doers ready to see Puerto Ricans, Guam residents, Samoans and Virgin Islanders have an equal vote in the presidential election as they have?
    It's not really the medias fault, at least as far as the debates go.
    The presidential debates are run by a committee of former DNC and GOP heads.

    They moderate the contract process between the two candidates and have a minimum threshold of 15% of the popular vote, before another person can be put on the debates.
    Of course, excluding people from debates, means they're unlikely to even get that much popular votes in the first place.
    It's a catch 22 and DNC/GOP know it.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #22
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,324
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    I think they should.

    And I think there should be at least one presidential debate where all the sane alternatives are there.

    Not even nessecarily because I'd support any of them.

    But because I think it's healthy in a democracy for people to hear all kinds of views rather than the two party dictatorship the USA has right now.

    I think it'd be a refreshing change from the Right - Left hamster wheel you guys are on.

  3. #23
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Not all, there should be some minimum standards met (maybe 1,000,000 registered members or something like that) or else, bob's political party that is him and his best friend bubba would be covered too.

    The media couldn't possibly get through all of the parties that would spring up if something like that happened.
    Ok yes I agree did not think of that but its a good point.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  4. #24
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I think they should.

    And I think there should be at least one presidential debate where all the sane alternatives are there.

    Not even nessecarily because I'd support any of them.

    But because I think it's healthy in a democracy for people to hear all kinds of views rather than the two party dictatorship the USA has right now.

    I think it'd be a refreshing change from the Right - Left hamster wheel you guys are on.
    I would absolutely love it if we had smaller, more narrowly focused parties and needed to form coalitions to get things done. It would help ensure a plurality of views were represented and the national conversation was more diverse and hopefully intelligent than what we have now.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    11-23-12 @ 03:08 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    477

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    I've made an argument in another thread where someone echoed the BS line about the citizenry "not wanting to hear what the 3rd parties have to say".

    You look back in 2004 where the LP in particular had ballot access in 45 states, yet the LP, as well as Green candidates for president were arrested for trying to enter a presidential debate.

    Michael Badnarik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Badnarik and Green Party candidate David Cobb were arrested[5][6] in St. Louis, Missouri, on October 8, 2004, for an act of civil disobedience. Badnarik and Cobb were protesting their exclusion from the presidential debates of the 2004 presidential election campaign. They were arrested after crossing a police barricade in an attempt to serve an Order to Show Cause to the Commission on Presidential Debates.

  6. #26
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Voters. The electoral system, as it is now, is designed to quell the ability for another party to rise.

    Perot's biggest obstacle was states who refused to acknowledge his candidacy on ballots. The system is designed to fiercely protect its own.

    As long as this system prevails, along with a winner-take-all format, you're stuck with picking the lesser of two evils if you don't tow party lines.
    I agree so things like the EC would have to go through Amendments which I support. I think after that the 'obstacles" are less invasive.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  7. #27
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    It is amazing how many answered yes. What they are saying is that really Obama and Romney should have only had 15 minutes each in the debates - with equal time to candidates that less than 10% of voters could even name.

    And why those two 3rd parties only??? Because the OP - in total contradiction - wants to exclude other 3rd parties from having a voice?

    There are SIXTEEN THIRD PARTY CANDIDATES ON THE BALLOT FOR PRESIDENT. So REALLY, the OP and majority on the forum think that Obama and Romney should only be allowed to speak for 5 minutes in the debates, with 16 other candidates "having equal time."

    But why limit it to Party candidates? Why not all candidates for President in the USA? Then Obama and Romney get 18 seconds each in the debate.
    It could be argued that why 3rd parties get so low a showing is BECAUSE they get so little exposure, and that their showing would improve if they did get more exposure.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The media should give equal airtime to all 3rd party candidates. The media has blatantly ignored 3rd party candidates and excluded them from debates in order to deliberately aid the two party monopoly.
    I would even say a one party monopoly with the liberal media slobbering all over the DNC.

  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    Equal, in the strict definition of the word? No. But, the media is not serving us well by pretty much ignoring them. Whether it's local news or national, we usually get a token mention or two regarding 3rd parties in a campaign season, and that's it. I'm sorry, but 3rd parties at least have viable and legitimate ideas, if not always candidates, and we the people need to be served better in this regard.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should media give equal coverage to the Green and Libertarian Parties?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It could be argued that why 3rd parties get so low a showing is BECAUSE they get so little exposure, and that their showing would improve if they did get more exposure.

    That does not explain why the OP gives EQUAL importance to the Green and Libertarian Party to Republican and Democrat - BUT ZERO STATUS for the other 16 parties?

    Thus, I do NOT think this is about equality for 3rd parties. Rather, the OP favors the Green or Libertarian Party over the two major parties and wants the media to give artificially them equal status that voters do not. The OP is as much prejudiced against 3rd parties as possible by stating only 2 of the 18 on the ballot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •