View Poll Results: Who won?

Voters
326. You may not vote on this poll
  • Biden

    121 37.12%
  • Ryan

    205 62.88%
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 378

Thread: Who won the VP Debate?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Are (some) of you people serious? Romney comes out aggressive and everyone gives him the auto win. Biden comes out as aggressive and he's being a jerk and Ryan's "professional"? LOL, give me a break.
    I don't remember Romney acting anything like Biden. Bidens performance reminds of Gore all those years ago when all he did was sigh every time Bush spoke. There is a difference between acting aggressively and acting like a childish jerk that needs a punch in the face.

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    Let's see... for the most part the liberals say Biden won and the conservatives say Ryan won. I'm shocked... shocked, I tell you.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #23
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Anyone who thinks that Ryan came even close to winning that debate is in complete denial.

    As we sometimes say down here in the South, that was a thumpin.'

    Now...when do we get to see the Biden-vs.-Romney debate?
    In all fairness, your posts on this issue are perhaps the most hackish I have seen

    you are posting on what you wanted to happen, reality be damned

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I think Romney's style of aggressiveness is qualitatively different from Biden's, however. Biden's is much more irritated, which can have drawbacks as a result. Nevertheless, there was a significant portion of those moments where that exact method accomplished what he needed it to: demonstrate the perception that Ryan was either naive, off the mark, or whatever else. Other times it did not serve him well in that debate.
    I agree a lot of that. It was clear from the start that part of Biden's strategy was to make Ryan look like a naive boy. His laughter and interruption did that. He could have backed off a bit more since he had pretty much already made his point about that early on.

    However, I don't think Biden's style is irritated so much as the context of the aggression was different. Romney was being aggressive towards a President and Biden was being aggressive towards a young candidate. From my point of view, that context has determined people's perception of Biden more than Biden's actual behavior. Romney's comes across as less threatening and Biden's as more so because of that context.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't remember Romney acting anything like Biden. Bidens performance reminds of Gore all those years ago when all he did was sigh every time Bush spoke. There is a difference between acting aggressively and acting like a childish jerk that needs a punch in the face.
    The difference depends on which side your on and how honest you are about your bias.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,784

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Are (some) of you people serious? Romney comes out aggressive and everyone gives him the auto win. Biden comes out as aggressive and he's being a jerk and Ryan's "professional"? LOL, give me a break.
    Like I said, it's a double-standard. Republicans are allowed to be aggressive, but Democrats are not.

    Fortunately, Joe missed that memo.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Like I said, it's a double-standard. Republicans are allowed to be aggressive, but Democrats are not.

    Fortunately, Joe missed that memo.
    Like I said in another thread, there is a difference between being aggressive and being rude and uncivil. Both candidates were aggressive, but Biden's laughing, smirks and more frequent interruptions came of as being rude and uncivil.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #28
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I agree a lot of that. It was clear from the start that part of Biden's strategy was to make Ryan look like a naive boy. His laughter and interruption did that. He could have backed off a bit more since he had pretty much already made his point about that early on.

    However, I don't think Biden's style is irritated so much as the context of the aggression was different. Romney was being aggressive towards a President and Biden was being aggressive towards a young candidate. From my point of view, that context has determined people's perception of Biden more than Biden's actual behavior. Romney's comes across as less threatening and Biden's as more so because of that context.
    I think we might be splitting hairs back and forth, so I will just say I mostly like your analysis, just in case you get a different perception from down below.

    It could have been placement of microphones, the seating, however. However, through my speakers, Biden's voice was at first more effective at being present. Thereafter, it seemed to grow irritated, and reminded me quite a bit of the arguments I had with my Grandfather when he would get very heated.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Like I said, it's a double-standard. Republicans are allowed to be aggressive, but Democrats are not.

    Fortunately, Joe missed that memo.
    I agree and I think a lot of Democrats have that double standard themselves.

    I've always been frustrated with Democrats because they're often weak in politics when the Republicans are always aggressive. I'm thrilled that Biden was that aggressive tonight.

  10. #30
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Who won the VP Debate?

    The debate was over for Ryan the first time he was pressed for specifics and engaged in all kinds of shuffle to avoid answering. The American people clearly saw that Romney/Ryan is a bunch of Malarkey
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •