View Poll Results: Would you vote for a Muslim candidate for president?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would still vote for the candidate.

    30 38.46%
  • No, I would not vote for the candidate.

    28 35.90%
  • Depends (on how less-qualified the other candidates are)

    20 25.64%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 111

Thread: Would you support a Muslim for President?

  1. #1
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Would you support a Muslim for President?

    Allow me to begin by saying that Obama's presidency has nothing to do with this poll. I am in no way implying that President Obama is in anyway personally affiliated with the religion of Islam. I was inspired to create it after posting in a couple other threads which directly tied religious doctrine with support for various presidential candidates, So, here goes:

    Let's use our imaginations here........Suppose there were a presidential candidate who was obviously the most experienced and the most qualified among the field of candidates. Also, let's suppose that this particular candidate espoused much or most of the political, economic, social, and moral ideals which were important to you as a voter. Now let us suppose that this candidate just prior to election day, announced publicly that he/she was converting to Islam. Would you give this candidate your support? Please give your reasoning.

    *Note: Obviously this poll is directed at non-Muslim voters although anyone is welcome to participate.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Would you support a Muslim for President?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Allow me to begin by saying that Obama's presidency has nothing to do with this poll. I am in no way implying that President Obama is in anyway personally affiliated with the religion of Islam. I was inspired to create it after posting in a couple other threads which directly tied religious doctrine with support for various presidential candidates, So, here goes:

    Let's use our imaginations here........Suppose there were a presidential candidate who was obviously the most experienced and the most qualified among the field of candidates. Also, let's suppose that this particular candidate espoused much or most of the political, economic, social, and moral ideals which were important to you as a voter. Now let us suppose that this candidate just prior to election day, announced publicly that he/she was converting to Islam. Would you give this candidate your support? Please give your reasoning.

    *Note: Obviously this poll is directed at non-Muslim voters although anyone is welcome to participate.
    To be completely honest, an announcement such as that might make me feel a little apprehensive, but I guess as long as he wasn't a fundamentalist and wasn't planning on following Sharia law and knew enough not to involve his/her personal religious beliefs with his politics, I would like to think I could vote for him or her regardless.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,080

    Re: Would you support a Muslim for President?

    Apparently a lot of people on the right would considering how much they keep bringing up Obama being a secret Muslim. These are the same people who then turn around and go "Well, but I wouldn't care if he was!" - Why the **** bring it up then? Same people who'll scream that Romney belonging to a creepy ass cult in Utah is not relevant.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #4
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Would you support a Muslim for President?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Allow me to begin by saying that Obama's presidency has nothing to do with this poll. I am in no way implying that President Obama is in anyway personally affiliated with the religion of Islam. I was inspired to create it after posting in a couple other threads which directly tied religious doctrine with support for various presidential candidates, So, here goes:

    Let's use our imaginations here........Suppose there were a presidential candidate who was obviously the most experienced and the most qualified among the field of candidates. Also, let's suppose that this particular candidate espoused much or most of the political, economic, social, and moral ideals which were important to you as a voter. Now let us suppose that this candidate just prior to election day, announced publicly that he/she was converting to Islam. Would you give this candidate your support? Please give your reasoning.

    *Note: Obviously this poll is directed at non-Muslim voters although anyone is welcome to participate.
    this is the weirdest post, question, poll Ive read in a long time and I dont know how to answer it.

    the poll options are kind of weird based on the OP and then whats with the twist of last minute coming out about the religion?

    theres no poll answer that fits.

    1.) religion is absolutely meaningless to me if I feel the person is qualified and yes a Muslim could absolutely have my vote if they were qualified, which means you dont make your decisions for the country based on your religion.

    2.) the issue is if the person comes out about their religion the day before election say that seems disingenuous or shady so again, the religion doesnt matter but the fact they they waited till one day before the election does. ANY religion they said they would would make me wonder about the PERSON and they might not get my vote depending on how and why they said they waited so long. If their reasoning still allows me to STILL believe they are the most qualified they still get my vote


    BTW since im not a bigot I answered YES based on the Poll "question" and not the randomness in the OP about coming out the day before the election.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #5
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Would you support a Muslim for President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    To be completely honest, an announcement such as that might make me feel a little apprehensive, but I guess as long as he wasn't a fundamentalist and wasn't planning on following Sharia law and knew enough not to involve his/her personal religious beliefs with his politics, I would like to think I could vote for him or her regardless.
    I have to at least give you some props for honesty. I think i'd definitely have to do some deep "soul searching" and even then, I honestly do not know if I could will myself to trust the guy enough to vote for him. Serving in the US military in a predominately Muslim nation for a long period of time has "hardened" me a bit toward the entire religion I suppose.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Would you support a Muslim for President?

    A person being muslim would not be a deal breaker for me at all.

    That is not to say I would not want to look into the candidates history, life and experiences closely. Maybe it is not fair as though I am not religious at all and I DO have religious tolerance. I JUST need to know that the person running for POTUS is not radical about their religious views or a fundamentalist be it Christian, Muslim, Jewish etc ...
    Last edited by Turin; 10-10-12 at 09:32 PM.

  7. #7
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Would you support a Muslim for President?

    I wouldn't care about the religious aspect. . . I don't judge people based on their faith - I judge people based on their values and actions because that's where the ****'s really at.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #8
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Would you support a Muslim for President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    A person being muslim would not be a deal breaker for me at all.

    That is not to say I would not want to look into the candidates history, life and experiences closely. Maybe it is not fair as though I am not religious at all and I DO have religious tolerance. I JUST need to know that the person running for POTUS is not radical about their religious views or a fundamentalist be it Christian, Muslim, Jewish etch etc ...
    I see your point, and I suppose this is why I added the bit about "announcing last minute the intent to convert" because under those circumstances we may not be as inclined to believe the candidate is a radical fundamentalist.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  9. #9
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Would you support a Muslim for President?

    Yes, I would vote for a Muslim president if they were not fundamentalist in their religious views, had views which were similar to mine and were qualified to be president.

    Is it possible that Muslim extremism has more to do with culture than with the religion itself?

  10. #10
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Would you support a Muslim for President?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Is it possible that Muslim extremism has more to do with culture than with the religion itself?
    I'm not sure, but one could make the argument that it was the religion which derived from the particular culture and not the converse.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •