Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

  1. #21
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Completely different set of circumstances. If my company says to me, "If Obama gets elected for another term, I'm probably going to have to shut the company down because he intends to raise taxes on business. I'm barely making it now," I wouldn't consider that intimidation. Swinging night sticks in front of polling places? Just a tad different.
    Ah, it's different when it's the intimidation you have no problem with. Good to hear you're being casually inconsistent.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #22
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ah, it's different when it's the intimidation you have no problem with. Good to hear you're being casually inconsistent.
    Good to hear you're an alarmist. You call this intimidation?

    If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company," he wrote. "Rather than grow this company I will be forced to cut back. This means fewer jobs, less benefits and certainly less opportunity for everyone."
    Quit being so hyperbolic.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #23
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Good to hear you're an alarmist. You call this intimidation?

    Quit being so hyperbolic.
    Yes, because he's telling people he'll fire them if Obama is elected. As if taxes were guaranteed to stay low with Romney elected. Again, intimidation and you're being extremely hypocritical in not admitting it.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #24
    Advisor NitroHangover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-13-17 @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    584

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    There's a difference between threatening that you will purposefully choose to punish your employees if they don't vote a certain way, and simply warning them that, unfortunately, there will likely be some regrettable consequences for you and they alike if the election happens to go a certain way because of policy beyond your control. That's not a threat. That is being a decent boss, and making sure your employees are not blindsided when you're forced to shut down the company because of oppressive taxation. Sounds to me like he's just giving them a heads-up out of concern.

    What, do you guys think he's trying to sway the election through force? I mean, how many employees does this guy have? That's just silly.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    it's seedy, but i don't think it reaches the threshold of banned speech. it should, however, be illegal for an employer to fire an employee because of political affiliation.

  6. #26
    Advisor NitroHangover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-13-17 @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    584

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    Then I can suggest to someone that voting for Obama might improve the chances their house doesn't burn down?
    Absolutely, if the reason you're telling him this is because Obama was promising to cut the budgets of Fire Departments nationwide. That's not a threat; that's a helpful heads-up with an actual policy-based, cause and effect reason behind it.

  7. #27
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, because he's telling people he'll fire them if Obama is elected. As if taxes were guaranteed to stay low with Romney elected. Again, intimidation and you're being extremely hypocritical in not admitting it.
    Again, that's not what he said, is it? And it's reality. Not intimidation.

    If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company," he wrote. "Rather than grow this company I will be forced to cut back. This means fewer jobs, less benefits and certainly less opportunity for everyone."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #28
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Again, that's not what he said, is it? And it's reality. Not intimidation.
    Again, he's implying that under Romney, no new taxes will be "levied". Which is utterly false and unrealistic. Again, hyperpartisan of you MaggieD.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #29
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Again, he's implying that under Romney, no new taxes will be "levied". Which is utterly false and unrealistic. Again, hyperpartisan of you MaggieD.
    He's implying no such thing, Hat. You can keep posting from now 'til doomsday on this issue, and you'll still be wrong. He said what he said. The President says he's going to raise taxes. Of course, an idiot knows that the President doesn't have the power to raise taxes. Now does he?

    Edit: You may have the last post on this issue. Even though you're wrong. Go argue with someone else.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #30
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Legality of employee threats in terms of election

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    He's implying no such thing, Hat. You can keep posting from now 'til doomsday on this issue, and you'll still be wrong. He said what he said. The President says he's going to raise taxes. Of course, an idiot knows that the President doesn't have the power to raise taxes. Now does he?
    So he's lying about something which Obama CAN'T do and telling his employees NOT to vote for Obama based on what you ADMIT is a lie because they'll be fired and you don't call that voter intimidation? Are you kidding me? Yes, you're being hyperpartisan for sure now MaggieD.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •