View Poll Results: Are you for or against stem cell research?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    63 94.03%
  • Against

    4 5.97%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

  1. #51
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    True, those with Aspergers are different (and each person with that label is different from another) from those with other disabilities in the spectrum, however, I have to still suggest that the kids I know who do have what the medical community considers a more serious condition of autism are also happy with themselves and their lives. I grew up with some of them, and others I came to know through a conference we sponsor every year and play games with them. Some of them have specifically relayed in one way or another that they like themselves, being different along with being the same as the other kids. In fact, I am thinking right now of a little boy and his shy smile, and a cute little girl that loved to give me high fives.

    I claim no knowledge over cystic fibrosis, but I will say that we have to tread carefully down this path.
    I have a little brother who is autistic and I'm a dwarf.

    But, I understand that this doesn't necessarily give me more of an opinion than someone else.

    As for me. Honestly, if had the chance to change who I was, I most definitely wouldn't.

  2. #52
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    I have a little brother who is autistic and I'm a dwarf.

    But, I understand that this doesn't necessarily give me more of an opinion than someone else.

    As for me. Honestly, if had the chance to change who I was, I most definitely wouldn't.
    And I certainly understand the limitations to my perspective. There are many parents that would be just as quick to remind me that I am on the other side of the fence on the spectrum, or in the case of another disability, that the daily toil has taken its toll on all, including the person with the disability. Nevertheless, I have also read enough to know that others with conditions that I thought were too incredible to bear have been just as quick to suggest that their lives are worth something, just as much as any other man.

    I too wouldn't change myself. It probably took a bit of time to reach that point, but I am able to join your ranks.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #53
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    And I certainly understand the limitations to my perspective. There are many parents that would be just as quick to remind me that I am on the other side of the fence on the spectrum, or in the case of another disability, that the daily toil has taken its toll on all, including the person with the disability. Nevertheless, I have also read enough to know that others with conditions that I thought were too incredible to bear have been just as quick to suggest that their lives are worth something, just as much as any other man.

    I too wouldn't change myself. It probably took a bit of time to reach that point, but I am able to join your ranks.
    With regards to what I said, I definitely understand where you're coming from, especially with regards to autism.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Plenty of disability categories where it is a grave insult to promote the cure? What to do you mean?
    Seriously, there are plenty where just trying to fix the problem will be met with cries of "I love my special (fill in the blank)". You ought to have seen some of it yourself, being a dwarf, certainly if you go to any forums dealing in dwarf children, you get tons of parents who would smack you with a bat if you suggested wiping out dwarfism.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Yes, really.

    Entirely fine with me. A child has no control over the reproductive rights of their mother. What idiot would think otherwise?

    Damn straight.
    You are a very special case in my book.

  6. #56
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Seriously, there are plenty where just trying to fix the problem will be met with cries of "I love my special (fill in the blank)". You ought to have seen some of it yourself, being a dwarf, certainly if you go to any forums dealing in dwarf children, you get tons of parents who would smack you with a bat if you suggested wiping out dwarfism.
    It all depends how you go about "wiping out dwarfism" or whatever problem you're speaking of. If that means like a dwarfism vaccine given to all pregnant mothers, not a problem in my eyes. I only see it as a problem when it becomes a "abort all dwarf babies" type thing. That is already being done with down's syndrome. I read somewhere that over 80% of parents that are notified that their fetus will have down's syndrome end up aborting it. I wonder just how accurate these types of tests are to begin with.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    You are a very special case in my book.
    No, you simply reject anyone who falls outside of your narrow worldview, as if anyone who disagrees with you has to be wrong. You never consider the possibility that *YOU* are wrong, which, based on the poll, assuming you are one of the "no" votes, you certainly are.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, you simply reject anyone who falls outside of your narrow worldview, as if anyone who disagrees with you has to be wrong. You never consider the possibility that *YOU* are wrong, which, based on the poll, assuming you are one of the "no" votes, you certainly are.
    I actually voted "for" because I specified my stance. You however seem to be a fanatic... a stem cell activist fanatic.

    Do you have any siblings? If yes, how would feel if you hadn't had them? If not... make an effort of imagination.

    I have a brother. I think my life would be a lot emptier if I had been a single child. So that is why I do not support stem cell from anything, only in certain cases, which again, I have specified -> Nobel prize laureats in medicine discovered a way to reverse engineer mature cells into becoming stem cells.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    It all depends how you go about "wiping out dwarfism" or whatever problem you're speaking of. If that means like a dwarfism vaccine given to all pregnant mothers, not a problem in my eyes. I only see it as a problem when it becomes a "abort all dwarf babies" type thing. That is already being done with down's syndrome. I read somewhere that over 80% of parents that are notified that their fetus will have down's syndrome end up aborting it. I wonder just how accurate these types of tests are to begin with.
    Dwarfism doesn't work that way, achondroplasic dwarfism is a genetic mutation during pregnancy, it's not something that can be tested for in the parents (assuming neither parent is a dwarf). It's not something that you can fix with a vaccine. It's probably conceivable to fix with a retrovirus, but only if caught very early in utero and it's not something that is easily detectable, sometimes not even for quite some time after birth.

    However, what I was talking about was a lot of parents of dwarf children are so fascinated with the fact that their children are unique, they act like dwarfism is fantastic and they'd advocate it to anyone. I think a lot of it is the emotional attachment they have to their children and as such, they cannot imagine their children being any different than they are and thus, they convince themselves that dwarfism is preferable to non-dwarfism. It's really not a rational way of viewing the world.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #60
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Stem Cell Research: For or Against?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    I actually voted "for" because I specified my stance. You however seem to be a fanatic... a stem cell activist fanatic.
    Not a fanatic at all. A rationalist.

    Do you have any siblings? If yes, how would feel if you hadn't had them? If not... make an effort of imagination.
    If I had never had my siblings, I wouldn't miss them because I never would have had them. Or did you not think of that?

    I have a brother. I think my life would be a lot emptier if I had been a single child. So that is why I do not support stem cell from anything, only in certain cases, which again, I have specified -> Nobel prize laureats in medicine discovered a way to reverse engineer mature cells into becoming stem cells.
    Which, of course, has nothing whatsoever to do with stem cell research. I really find it funny for people who are so absurdly ignorant of the subject matter who go on and on about how it works when it's clear they're clueless.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •