View Poll Results: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • USA

    5 27.78%
  • Canada

    13 72.22%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

  1. #11
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    The one with a Queen.
    Canada has no queen it has prime minister and parliment. The queen is just symbolic of thier past ties to Britain. She has absolutely no authority there.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  2. #12
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    My answer is also Canada. Some of my reasons are personal and some political.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  3. #13
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,554

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    Canada has no queen it has prime minister and parliment. The queen is just symbolic of thier past ties to Britain. She has absolutely no authority there.
    You are mistaken about her highness, the Queen of Canada: The Monarch - The Crown - Crown in Canada

  4. #14
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    34,064
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    Canada has no queen it has prime minister and parliment. The queen is just symbolic of thier past ties to Britain. She has absolutely no authority there.
    She has reserve powers exercised through an appointed representative.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #15
    is totally not a robot.
    Juiposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,591
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    I am obligated to say Canada. We have a nearly balanced budget, a Commons that succeeds in passing constructive bills, and the parties actually take compromise. Once Harper is gone, we are going leaps and bounds forward.
    "After all, you know, there are worse things in life than death. I mean, if you've ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman, you know exactly what I mean."
    -Woody Allen

  6. #16
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    Sometimes I wish the US would simply scrap a few Articles of the constitution and just adopt a Parliamentary government. So much more efficient and we'd sure save a great deal of wasted time, money, and TV/radio ad space every 4 years during election season.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  7. #17
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    What the hell does that even mean? Going a better job? You typed it three times like that so I assume it isn't a typo.
    It's a typo. I used cut'n'paste.

  8. #18
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Absolute crap.

    First of all... you have claimed on many occasions that it is impossible to be fiscally conservative without being socially conservative because they go hand in hand.

    Canada according to you is a worthless country, an immoral country... which is ironic since you consider 90% of your own countrymen immoral and would have them executed according to your warped "morality".

    But Canada is actually on target for having a balanced budget or budget surplus within the next few years.

    In fact... becareful because I'm going to use facts here.

    During the 90's going into the 2000's the Canadian government produced 7 straight budget surpluses and do you know which party achieved that goal?

    The Liberal Party.

    Beat that with a stick.
    That's one of the reasons I voted for Canada. The budget is usually in balance. Deficit spending is the exception rather than the rule.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Exactly Correct, though as I'm going to point out below, you need to comprehend what fiscal conservatism IS.

    No. It's probably only about 75% that would be executed. The other 15% would likely be in prison.

    Critical Mistake.... Assuming that a balanced budget makes an economy Fiscally Conservative. It is PART of the equation, but not all of it. Unfortunately things like Welfare, Social Security, and National Healthcare cannot exist in a Fiscally Conservative system, even if they are "paid for" on a yearly basis in the budget. It's not just about HOW MUCH you spend, or even how that compares to what you bring in. It's also about WHAT you spend it on.
    Should people take you seriously when you say you would execute or imprison 90% of the population? I hope you're kidding. Also, it's ridiculous to call Canada's Medicare system anything other than fiscally conservative. (Confusingly they've named their universal health insurance system the same thing we call our medical insurance for the elderly.) In Canada, Medicare is the health insurance that everyone has. The truth is, and has been proven over and over, Canadian Medicare is less expensive than the USA's patchwork system of private health insurance and some government health insurance. (American Medicare, Medicaid, the VA). When the Canadians pay less for health insurance and balance their budget most of the time, that's being more fiscally conservative than the United States. What we do is have reckless greed-driven health care, profiting off illness and running up the costs, combined with reckless spending on wars that have nothing to do with the defense of the country. Most of this has been created by the Republicans, though the Democrats have had some role in it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Republicans are not conservatives by definition. The fact that they've done so much deficit spending under Reagan, Bush Sr. , and Bush Jr. proves that. They're plutocrats.

    In any event, this explains my vote for the Government of Canada.

  9. #19
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Last Seen
    10-30-15 @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    922

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    Canada has the luxury of being located north of the United States. It makes us a very unique country, because our largest trading partner is next door and vice versa, we have the longest undefended border in the world, we don't have to worry about military build up and can focus our military to do a few jobs very well, our beer is way better, we get all your television shows including NFL today, and we share a hockey league or two (which is way more important than most americans can appreciate).

    Now you couple that with single payer medicare for all citizens, along with the same set of social assistence programs as in the US, a parlimentary system that mandates elections of a minimum of 36 days (average over the 16 years) and election spending tightly controlled with a combination of public funds and private donations, what most americans would call draconian banking/finance regulations which was the reason we avoided the worst of the meltdown, and - did I mention our beer is way better? - and we have a pretty sweet deal going on up here. I doubt very much it would be so sweet if it weren't for being lucky to have the land and resources we do, really good beer, the best hockey players and most importantly the United States as our neighbour.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma.

  10. #20
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Which government is going a better job, that of the USA or of Canada?

    I don't know much about Canadian politics so I won't vote.

    I just know Steven Harper sucks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •