View Poll Results: Which of his 3 comments do you believe Romney holds in his heart and mind?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • His private comment of 47% to his uber wealthy comrads.

    11 91.67%
  • His reaction when it was released where he said it was an inelegant comment.

    1 8.33%
  • His comment this week as voting begins that he now is wrong about the 47%

    0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

  1. #21
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    But atleast Kenysian economics have proven to stabalize faultering economies during hard economic times.
    That is true. But a Kenysian policy cannot fix the underlying problem of a weak financial sector. When your financing arm of your economy is having huge problems, more government spending won't alleviate it unless the spending is beyond what the financing sector was providing in financing and alleviate the losses from the financial crisis. There is no way we could mount a multi-trillion dollar stimulus program that on a rough guess I'd venture would need to be at least $3 trillion. And at that point you really do risk inflation which makes the crisis even worse. Kenysian is good at alleviating demand drops. It's terrible at fixing a liquidity crunch. The American economy is based on financing. We fall like a house of cards when that happens. Even with the massive stimulus, GDP dropped painfully as the damage from the financial sector spread through the economy.

    I've never been an advocate of implementing such a financial strategy except during a recession or depression where the private sector could not fix itself because too much wealth within financial markets has been lost. But once the economy stabalizes (and the best economic indicator of that is an unemployment rate between 3.5 - 6%), then you can switch gears and return to balanced budget practices that combine spending reductions, program elimination, some revenue raisers and targetted tax cuts, if necessary. But I digress
    That's how it is suppose to be. It only runs during bad recessions. Part of our deficits and debt relates to the ugly fact that Bush ran Kenysian policies for 7 straight years. It was never meant to do that.

    IMO, the real Mitt Romney spoke his mind in May 2012 when he thought no cameras were recording his every word.
    Then again he could have been pandering to get donations. Mitt has flipped so many times that I cannot reasonably but any faith in any words he says. Mitt will say anything to anyone if he thinks it will further his presidency ambitions. I can't say if Mitt actually believed his 47% comments or if he's just saying that because the big wig donors want to hear it.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #22
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    correct, but the main thing we have to do is to make more spending distasteful to politicians.
    Not sure how you do that. There's a Tea Party House Republican right now who's fighting for his seat because of the cuts he voted for killed thousands of jobs in his district. People realized what they were getting and now there's a good chance he'll lose the seat despite handily winning in a mere 2 years ago.

    And right now many of them derive benefits from spending a lot because people vote for them for doing that. Those people vote for them because they want spending and they don't get taxed when spending is increased.
    Welcome to America. We want our jobs, spending and low taxes. All the same time.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #23
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not sure how you do that. There's a Tea Party House Republican right now who's fighting for his seat because of the cuts he voted for killed thousands of jobs in his district. People realized what they were getting and now there's a good chance he'll lose the seat despite handily winning in a mere 2 years ago.



    Welcome to America. We want our jobs, spending and low taxes. All the same time.
    well when deciding whose taxes should be raised, we should start with those who pay less of the income tax burden than their share of the income, not those who pay more of the income tax burden than their share of the income

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    correct, but the main thing we have to do is to make more spending distasteful to politicians. And right now many of them derive benefits from spending a lot because people vote for them for doing that. Those people vote for them because they want spending and they don't get taxed when spending is increased. raising taxes merely on the rich will not change the spending habits of politicians nor the desire for spending by the voters.
    I'd disagree with you somewhat here.

    I'm a firm believer that if the People really want this nation's deficit to be handled in a responsible way, they'd only vote for politicians who will adhere to the Constitution. By that I mean they'd hold members of Congress accountable for:

    a) only appropriating funds based on receipts from the Treasury;

    b) applying no less than 1/4 to 1/3 of gross revenue toward the deficit.

    That's the purely simplistic way of looking at things, but IMO those two actions alone will put a serious dent in the debt and deficit over time.

  5. #25
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    I believe Romney said what he meant with all of his bodies. If he had not been secretly taped he probably would not be backpeddling.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  6. #26
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    well when deciding whose taxes should be raised, we should start with those who pay less of the income tax burden than their share of the income, not those who pay more of the income tax burden than their share of the income
    Maybe, the only thing I really don't like about a flat is that it's incredibly easy to raise rates in the dead of night.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #27
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I'd disagree with you somewhat here.

    I'm a firm believer that if the People really want this nation's deficit to be handled in a responsible way, they'd only vote for politicians who will adhere to the Constitution. By that I mean they'd hold members of Congress accountable for:

    a) only appropriating funds based on receipts from the Treasury;

    b) applying no less than 1/4 to 1/3 of gross revenue toward the deficit.

    That's the purely simplistic way of looking at things, but IMO those two actions alone will put a serious dent in the debt and deficit over time.


    the problem is people such as me think the tenth amendment limits congress to powers specifically and clearly delegated to them. Others on this board claims that the "general welfare" clause gives congress the power to pass any law it wants as long as congress decrees it can advance the "public welfare"
    Last edited by TurtleDude; 10-07-12 at 11:13 PM.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and even if you are correct what real relevance does that to this election?
    I wasn't referring to this upcoming election; I was responding to Obvious Child's comment on how/when to apply Kenysian economics. But since you asked, I think the nation could use another short-term stimulus provided the funds are targetted toward public-private partnerships that focus on infrastructure rebuilding and new hires. Otherwise, I wouldn't support more spending on social programs. By a fair assessment, the economy is trying to turn the corner and go in a positive direction. I think people are truly more than ready to get back to work. It's high time both parties - Republicans and Democrats - swallow their pride and put the country first and stop thinking about preserving their jobs. Lord knows enough people have lost theirs due to the wrecklessness and irresponsibility of the legislature at both the state and federal levels.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the problem is people such as me think the tenth amendment limits congress to powers specifically and clearly delegated to them. Others on this board claims that the "general welfare" clause gives congress the power to pass any law it wants as long as congress decrees it can advance the "public welfare"
    The 10th Amendment wouldn't come into play with my suggestion (post #24). This is all on Congress. They caused the mess; they have a duty to the people and the nation to fix it.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 10-07-12 at 11:20 PM.

  9. #29
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    I think those comments were the only time we've heard Romney tell the truth this entire election.

  10. #30
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Romney on the 47% (his 3 interpretations)

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    I think those comments were the only time we've heard Romney tell the truth this entire election.
    When do you think you'll hear the whole thuth?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •