View Poll Results: Does An American Have Freedom Of Science?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No; there are limits to religious freedom when that is contradicted by science

    5 19.23%
  • Science cannot limit an American's freedom of religion

    7 26.92%
  • Sometimes. Kids should be taught whatever their parents want, but not abused.

    2 7.69%
  • I think my religion explains the world and I have no use for science

    0 0%
  • What I do in my private life is my own business, and I can raise my kids however I like

    10 38.46%
  • No opinion or undecided

    2 7.69%
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 289

Thread: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

  1. #61
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Running for office, are you?

    LOL.
    This guy is. Unopposed, I might add.

    GOP Rep Blasts Evolution as Lie ‘Straight From Pit of Hell’ - Paul Broun tells church group science meant to keep people from their savior


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    For the record, I chose the first option, but it doesn't really reflect my answer to the question.

    My real answer is that you are free to teach your kids whatever you want, but schools should teach science. If you don't want your kids to be taught science, send them to a private school where they will be taught your religion. You don't have the right to teach your religion to my children in public school.
    AND if you chose a private school for your child, don't ask taxpayers to buy textbooks for that private school that replace science with religion.

  3. #63
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Yes. It's your bolding of the word 'theory' implies that you are stressing it, in order to disenfranchise it.



    Of course we teach what a sceintific theory is. A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. It significantly differs from a laymans term "theory".
    Yes, right from the wiki. And again I believe the scientific method and the meaning of scientific theory should be taught along with the fact that evolution is a scientific theory.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science


  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Juiposa View Post
    Why we are treating the two as somehow similar is beyond me. Science and religion are two separate entities and should be treated as such. Government does indeed need to deal with both, but separately. Both evolution and intelligent design can indeed be taught in schools, but not together. Intelligent design belongs in a Religion class and Evolution in a Science class. I do not believe one or the other.

    Many people seem to be polarised by this issue, why either has to be the basis for public policy is baffling, and why it is a continued source of debate is even more so. Again, they are separate and should be treated as such.
    I agree with this. I actually believe that creationism, et al. should be taught in all schools along with principles from all the major religions. However, I think that they should be taught in their proper place - religious class and not science class. Students ought to know about religion and thus, religion should not be entirely eliminated from the public school system. However, they need to learn about in a way that does not confuse it with scientific knowledge.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes, right from the wiki. And again I believe the scientific method and the meaning of scientific theory should be taught along with the fact that evolution is a scientific theory.
    Evolution is not in doubt, though. THIS is where I think you and I disagree -- I don't want public school kids taught "we don't know what actually happened, but one theory is evolution".

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    This is not my conclusion -- I can see why there'd be a "fairness" appeal to you, but it's not different from tax protestors in the 1970's who refused to pay income taxes because they opposed the War. This is a specious idea, IMO.

    Science is reality, Tigger. You have no right to ask me to pay for textbooks for you to use to teach your child a bunch of fairy tales, and you have no right to withhold tax dollars you owe so I cannot teach my child science.
    I'm not suggesting that anyone withhold taxes, Pinkie. I'm just suggesting that if I'm already paying for something that I don't use (the public school system), and them paying extra to teach my children at home, I shouldn't have to be bothered by these bureaucrats demanding to know what books I'm using to teach history or science to my kids, as I have seen happen in this state and heard about in many others.

    Science is one view of reality, Pinkie. Most of it is still theoretical, and therefore not provable beyond a reasonable doubt. That's the problem. Both sides want to teach their version of FAITH. The only difference is that one side is stomping their feet, closing their eyes, plugging their ears and repeating "You can't make me listen to any other view." Then you have the homeschoolers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    Umm,both me and my wife went to public schools growing up,and we both make a whole lot more money than you do.Just saying.
    I'm a product of a public school education myself, Verthaine. Unfortuantely there was no appropriate private school in Central Connecticut at the time I was growing up. Thankfully I had two parents who were licensed teachers at home to help straighten things out after the school day was over.

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    I'm all in favor of people "homeschooling". I want my kids and grandkids to have every advantage they can get in these economic times.Less qualified applicants is better for their chances on landing good careers. I say, if people want to homeschool their kids to turn them into clones of themselves, I have no problem with that if I allowed to educate my children the way I want to be these peoples bosses.
    That's fine. Just realize that I probably wouldn't hire most of the kids ages 18-25 that I see to dig a ditch for me, regardless of whether they got their education at a public or private school. Then again, there are those of us who would never work for someone like your daughter anyway. Not because of her educational background, but because of her gender.

  8. #68
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,874
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes, right from the wiki. And again I believe the scientific method and the meaning of scientific theory should be taught along with the fact that evolution is a scientific theory.
    Then I apologize, I don't see the conflict here.

    Evolution should be taught as the fact it is; I'm glad we are in agreement.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  9. #69
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,874
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Double post.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I agree with this. I actually believe that creationism, et al. should be taught in all schools along with principles from all the major religions. However, I think that they should be taught in their proper place - religious class and not science class. Students ought to know about religion and thus, religion should not be entirely eliminated from the public school system. However, they need to learn about in a way that does not confuse it with scientific knowledge.
    Why should every public HS kid be taught a survey class on comparative religion, TPD? I can think of 100 classes they need more.

    I don't want to mollycoddle the fundies one damn bit with taxpayers dollars.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •