View Poll Results: Does An American Have Freedom Of Science?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No; there are limits to religious freedom when that is contradicted by science

    5 19.23%
  • Science cannot limit an American's freedom of religion

    7 26.92%
  • Sometimes. Kids should be taught whatever their parents want, but not abused.

    2 7.69%
  • I think my religion explains the world and I have no use for science

    0 0%
  • What I do in my private life is my own business, and I can raise my kids however I like

    10 38.46%
  • No opinion or undecided

    2 7.69%
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 289

Thread: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

  1. #11
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    04-10-15 @ 06:42 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    29

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I'm sorry; you aren't alone in finding my poll confusing.

    Choice 1: When science conflicts, everyone in America is ruled by science in their public lives, and children are as well in their private lives.

    Choice 2: Science is a religion, and no more sound than mine.

    Choice 3: No taxpayer should buy books for science classes which contain false statements based on religion.

    Choice 4: I have no use for science.

    Choice 5: Parents should have no limits placed on how they treat their kids based upon science.

    Choice 6: Undecided or no opinion.

    Maybe Goshin can alter the poll questions?
    Choice # 2 sounds more like that Science has no ability to restrict others religious beliefs. (On the poll, not the quoted post.)

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by DinodudeEpic View Post
    Choice # 2 sounds more like that Science has no ability to restrict others religious beliefs. (On the poll, not the quoted post.)
    Correct. Choice 2 means you do not think parents should be prevented from such things as denying their child necessary medical care, if they do so for religious reasons.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Actually "other", not "no opinion" nor "undecided".
    Religion must not interfere nor obstruct science, as it has in years past.
    IMO, under the guise of religion, it is OK for mom and dad to restrict medical care to themselves, BUT NOT TO THEIR CHILDREN !
    Last edited by earthworm; 10-07-12 at 02:02 PM.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Most things mentioned in this thread are not rights. One thing that truly pisses me off when people (in general) cannot differentiate between a "right" and a "privilege".

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    There is no reason to limit this to science or religion. The principle at work in your question is one based upon human liberty. It is not: "Do I have the right to impose my religion or my phony science upon you?" but "Do I have the right to impose my will upon my fellow man in any context?" Answer question #2 and you answer question #1.
    Define "impose".
    We advertise things/positions all the time, now its worse than ever, BUT, is this imposing ?
    I think it is becoming that.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I'm sorry; you aren't alone in finding my poll confusing.

    Choice 1: When science conflicts, everyone in America is ruled by science in their public lives, and children are as well in their private lives.

    Choice 2: Science is a religion, and no more sound than mine.

    Choice 3: No taxpayer should buy books for science classes which contain false statements based on religion.

    Choice 4: I have no use for science.

    Choice 5: Parents should have no limits placed on how they treat their kids based upon science.

    Choice 6: Undecided or no opinion.

    Maybe Goshin can alter the poll questions?

    I don't know that the new poll questions are any better than the old ones honestly.... sorry....

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #17
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Science is the process of ascertaining what reality is. You may not accept some scientific theories -- for example, I reject all the evidence that second-hand smoke causes lung cancer, as I do not believe the method used to reach the conclusion was sound.

    However, if you have beliefs, for religious or other purposes, that you cannot die in a fire because you have on "magic underwear", or that humans lived at the same time as dinosaurs, you have no right -- in your capacity as my neighbor, representative or fellow voter -- to impose such nonsense on me.
    How do you gel this legislators in Congress who openly claim that the Earth is 6,000~9,000 years old and evolution does not happen at all? After all, they were elected to make laws and it is our Democracy that gives our legislators to enact laws regarding the country. Therefore, despite the fact that I agree with you that they are entirely bat **** crazy, they still have the right as given by COTUS to impose such nonsense upon us. Ultimately the problem lies with those electing these people, but that again is their privilege. I don't see how you can stop this (at least quickly) without serious perverting the Constitution.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #18
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Correct. Choice 2 means you do not think parents should be prevented from such things as denying their child necessary medical care, if they do so for religious reasons.
    That brings up an entirely different issue. How much control do parents have over their children? An adult can refuse their own medical treatment based on religion, but in that example the adult is pushing their religious belief onto their child.

  9. #19
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Absolutely.

    But if your beliefs inspire you to beat your child, don't your fellow Americans have the right to stop you?

    If you believe ridiculous things, must your fellow Americans buy textbooks for your kids that teach them these beliefs are "science"?

    And if I elect you, do you have the right (as my political representative) to denounce a scientific breakthrough on the basis of your religious beliefs?
    As to the OP title - that applies to you as well (even if you have the majority behind you).

    There is a difference between belief and action. This is why I absolutely am against hate crime legislation. We don't make laws against thought, but rather against certain actions.

    As to the textbooks, again, apply that equally to yourself. Must the rest of us buy textbooks for your kids that teach them these beliefs are "science"?

    As to elected representatives, they have the same right you do to denounce what someone else calls a scientific breakthrough for whatever reasons they wish. Remember, treatments for [female] hysteria were all the rage in scientific breakthroughs some decades ago. Should we all have bought into those? How about using mercury in vaccines, huge scientific breakthrough in storage and efficacy?

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: You Have No Constitutional Right To Your Own Science

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    As to the OP title - that applies to you as well (even if you have the majority behind you).

    There is a difference between belief and action. This is why I absolutely am against hate crime legislation. We don't make laws against thought, but rather against certain actions.

    As to the textbooks, again, apply that equally to yourself. Must the rest of us buy textbooks for your kids that teach them these beliefs are "science"?

    As to elected representatives, they have the same right you do to denounce what someone else calls a scientific breakthrough for whatever reasons they wish. Remember, treatments for [female] hysteria were all the rage in scientific breakthroughs some decades ago. Should we all have bought into those? How about using mercury in vaccines, huge scientific breakthrough in storage and efficacy?

    Good point. "Science" isn't always right, and scientists are just as subject to financial, social and political pressures as anyone else .... "publish or perish" is their motto, and attempting to publish theories that contract the popular scientific dogma of the moment is rarely smiled upon.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •