View Poll Results: What is the main role of government?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • To uphold the constitution

    34 55.74%
  • To keep America safe

    7 11.48%
  • Other - please explain

    20 32.79%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 90

Thread: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

  1. #51
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    You are dear to me.
    Why, thank you Red! You're kind of special to me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  2. #52
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Why, thank you Red! You're kind of special to me too.
    You know I love you.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  3. #53
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    You are treating the Constitution exactly how Fundamentalists treat the Bible. No matter what the political bullies try to force us to accept as a substitute for an active and effective check by the people on their own government, the Constitutionalists' eternally binding obstructive document was merely a start-up plan to be superseded by legislation based on real-life consequences of this original but temporary legislation. It's as if whoever first built computers had been tied and bound by a start-up plan saying that they would only be used for secretarial work and had to submit any new applications to a Supreme Court tribunal or a long drawn out amendment process. Those who credit everything we the people have done by ourselves to this obsolete and unnecessary sacred text are leading us to a national collapse, because this 18th Century blueprint for oligarchy has always been a drag on our political maturity. Supreme things belong in heaven, not under the control of those who want to make themselves gods on earth.
    So, you think the Constitution is outdated and irrelevant? Really?

    Does that include the balance of powers, the Bill of Rights, the whole nine yards, just toss it all out?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #54
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    You are treating the Constitution exactly how Fundamentalists treat the Bible. No matter what the political bullies try to force us to accept as a substitute for an active and effective check by the people on their own government, the Constitutionalists' eternally binding obstructive document was merely a start-up plan to be superseded by legislation based on real-life consequences of this original but temporary legislation. It's as if whoever first built computers had been tied and bound by a start-up plan saying that they would only be used for secretarial work and had to submit any new applications to a Supreme Court tribunal or a long drawn out amendment process. Those who credit everything we the people have done by ourselves to this obsolete and unnecessary sacred text are leading us to a national collapse, because this 18th Century blueprint for oligarchy has always been a drag on our political maturity. Supreme things belong in heaven, not under the control of those who want to make themselves gods on earth.

    I don't know where you went to school but I went here in the USA and even a 9th grader will tell you you're wrong. Certainly any judge or lawyer will. You seem to be one of those people (I may be wrong) that the government was founded by God or something. This is equally absurd. First Jesus said render onto Caeser that which is Caesers. Which means "Governments are instituted among men deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed". Do you recognise this at all?

    Second if the Bible is the basis of our government or laws, please provide me with any document, statute, case law, ruling, etc that DIRECTLY cites the Bible (chapter and verse please) as its source for existence or its basis for existence. You will not be able to because it does not exist.

    Fortunately people like you are in the minorty by about 98% and we need not concern ourselves with your delusions.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  5. #55
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,784

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    It was asked in the debate last night: What is the chief role of government?

    Obama said government's main role is to keep America safe...

    Romney said government's #1 responsibility is to uphold the constitution.

    I agree with Romney - Obama's answer (if you read between the lines) is based on giving the federal government more power and control.... The constitution is about giving more power and control to the people. After all, this is our country, not the politicians'... Obama failed the test, imo.

    Anyway, what do you think?
    Obama correctly answered the "what." Romney correctly answered the "how." But the question was "what," not "how."
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #56
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    It was asked in the debate last night: What is the chief role of government?

    Obama said government's main role is to keep America safe...

    Romney said government's #1 responsibility is to uphold the constitution.

    I agree with Romney - Obama's answer (if you read between the lines) is based on giving the federal government more power and control.... The constitution is about giving more power and control to the people. After all, this is our country, not the politicians'... Obama failed the test, imo.

    Anyway, what do you think?
    I say other. I'm still waiting for someone to remove the Patriot Act. None of us have rights while that is still in effect.
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  7. #57
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    You know I love you.
    Back atcha Bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  8. #58
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Back atcha Bro!
    We make good team.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  9. #59
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Why, thank you Red! You're kind of special to me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    You know I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Back atcha Bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    We make good team.
    Get a room!
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  10. #60
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Get a room!
    'Dis is teh interwebz yous cant tells me wat to doo!
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •