View Poll Results: What is the main role of government?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • To uphold the constitution

    34 55.74%
  • To keep America safe

    7 11.48%
  • Other - please explain

    20 32.79%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 90

Thread: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

  1. #21
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    03-19-13 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    937

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Governments job I think is to provide the best possible environment for the county to grow, for it's people to prosper, and to keep them safe. This includes providing things such as education, affordable health care, transportation, an equal opportunity and a fair playing field.

    On social issues the government should promote tolerance and equality, and protect it's citizens and their legal rights. The government should not try to tell it's citizens how to behave unless it is significantly harmful to others or extremely harmful to themselves.
    One learns more by listening than talking.

  2. #22
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Exactly as stated in the Declaration of Independence

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.— That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  3. #23
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Exactly as stated in the Declaration of Independence

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.— That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
    Hate to break this to yah buddy, but the deceleration of independence while a fantastic document, is not a governing document.

  4. #24
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Hate to break this to yah buddy, but the deceleration of independence while a fantastic document, is not a governing document.
    I'm not aware of anyone having claimed that it was. I certainly did not make any such claim.

    It does, however, give an excellent, concise statement of of purpose of government.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    It was asked in the debate last night: What is the chief role of government?

    Obama said government's main role is to keep America safe...

    Romney said government's #1 responsibility is to uphold the constitution.

    I agree with Romney - Obama's answer (if you read between the lines) is based on giving the federal government more power and control.... The constitution is about giving more power and control to the people. After all, this is our country, not the politicians'... Obama failed the test, imo.

    Anyway, what do you think?
    Protect and proliferate our rights and liberties. Spluh.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #26
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    The main purpose of government is to leave me alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  7. #27
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,499

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    Obama said government's main role is to keep America safe...

    Romney said government's #1 responsibility is to uphold the constitution.
    Can't they both be right? Role and responsibility are two different things.

  8. #28
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,891
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    To promote stability, unity, and cupcakes.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  9. #29
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    It was asked in the debate last night: What is the chief role of government?

    Obama said government's main role is to keep America safe...

    Romney said government's #1 responsibility is to uphold the constitution.

    I agree with Romney - Obama's answer (if you read between the lines) is based on giving the federal government more power and control.... The constitution is about giving more power and control to the people. After all, this is our country, not the politicians'... Obama failed the test, imo.

    Anyway, what do you think?

    I do not agree with romney...first of all and foremost the constitution is worth nothing if the country is not safe. If were under thread of being overwhelmed in war and ruled by others you can use the constitution as toilet paper.
    Secondly any one that doesnt try to use the constitution as an excuse to be against anything for anyone realizes its an outdated document that was written before we had sewar plants and toilet bowls and doesnt address most issues of today. When it was written it didnt cover much of anything that applies today.
    There are far righters that 'recently' decided to use the constitution as a crutch to get what they want.

  10. #30
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: What do you believe is the chief role of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Hate to break this to yah buddy, but the deceleration of independence while a fantastic document, is not a governing document.
    Neither is the Constitution, unless you want to force us to obey, for all time, the hasty decisions of a small unrepresentative elite from the Eighteenth Century, when the world and the understanding of it were far different from what they are today.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •