View Poll Results: .

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Academic Faculty

    38 67.86%
  • Average Joes

    18 32.14%
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 236

Thread: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

  1. #61
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Again, that just seems like a personal opinion on the matter.

    A bachelor degree is a type of academic degree, just like a PhD is.

    I don't see a difference beyond levels of expertise.
    There is a difference between having a degree, and being a member of the academic community. It isn't splitting hairs. It's knowing what the terms mean. I have a college education, but I am not an academic, because my degree enabled me to get a job as a registered nurse. If I had pursued a higher degree, for example, a PhD in nursing, and spent my career as a professor or dean of a nursing school, then that would be an academic pursuit.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #62
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Again, that just seems like a personal opinion on the matter.

    A bachelor degree is a type of academic degree, just like a PhD is.

    I don't see a difference beyond levels of expertise.
    Exposure, depth, experience, etc. It's not exactly a linear scale, The amount of time and effort necessary for higher and higher degrees increases nearly exponentially. Undergrad was a joke, pretty much a continuation of High School. But grad school...spent almost twice as long in it as undergrad and routinely was spending 13-14 hour days/7 days a week doing work. To me an academic means one who has achieved some of the highest degrees of difficulty within academia and has spent considerable time in academia.

    It's as if one claims that anyone who completes the basic motorcycle safety course is an expert at riding motorcycles. Of course that's not true, you'd still be a novice less you've put in the time and effort in riding more, working on your bike, experiencing adverse weather, etc.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,926

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    I can see that, it would be bad to have a government made up of home owner association types.
    I am not sure the business of Government would keep the PhDs interested ether.
    No, and I acknowledge that point. We need both kinds of people, highly educated and those with street smarts, (and there is an intersection of both) but they all must be equally interested in making government function better.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,498

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    A recent quip by a fellow poster here inspired me to create this poll. Bear with me, while it may seem patently absurd to some, it is strictly for my own amusement and serves only as a sociopolitical barometer of sorts. Would you rather our governing body be comprised of the faculty of various Ivy league and highly accredited academic institutions (i.e. Harvard, MIT, Stanford etc.) or the first 535 individuals selected at random from your local phonebook?
    You're just playing a shell game. Trade politicians for academia, who then become politicians, it's all the same political machine designed to gain and hold power at the expense of everyone else. As few choices and as little power as possible should be relinquished from individuals, and handed on a sliver platter to "government". If we reduced that significantly, all the justified hand-wringing we have over politicans and how broken the system is, corrupt, etc., would be drastically reduced.
    I'd rather change the game, than the players. (neither are of course likely to happen, they will never give up that power without a bloody fight, now that they have it).

  5. #65
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Exposure, depth, experience, etc. It's not exactly a linear scale, The amount of time and effort necessary for higher and higher degrees increases nearly exponentially. Undergrad was a joke, pretty much a continuation of High School. But grad school...spent almost twice as long in it as undergrad and routinely was spending 13-14 hour days/7 days a week doing work. To me an academic means one who has achieved some of the highest degrees of difficulty within academia and has spent considerable time in academia.

    It's as if one claims that anyone who completes the basic motorcycle safety course is an expert at riding motorcycles. Of course that's not true, you'd still be a novice less you've put in the time and effort in riding more, working on your bike, experiencing adverse weather, etc.
    Man, my undergrad years were filled with many nights of the week ending up being 13 hour days :P
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #66
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The world of academia is the world of educational pursuit and learning, not application of said learning. The examples you give are not working in the world of academia. The research biologist is working for a hospital, not an institution of learning. Academia is comprised of professors and researchers within the educational system.
    So I will cease to be a member of academia when I graduate and start practicing law? And then perhaps my "book learning" will no longer be demonized? I don't think most of this discussion shares your notion that only people who still study or work at a school comprise academia.

    But if that is so, then why would you want either academics or sixpacks in government? Why not draw from the well educated and practically experienced group that came out of academia and apply their skills?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #67
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Man, my undergrad years were filled with many nights of the week ending up being 13 hour days :P
    Upper level science class, I suppose. Spending that kind of time on undergrad liberal arts is thinking the prof cares much more than they do, I figure.

  8. #68
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    So I will cease to be a member of academia when I graduate and start practicing law? And then perhaps my "book learning" will no longer be demonized? I don't think most of this discussion shares your notion that only people who still study or work at a school comprise academia.

    But if that is so, then why would you want either academics or sixpacks in government? Why not draw from the well educated and practically experienced group that came out of academia and apply their skills?
    If you aren't currently teaching, or researching for a university, you aren't a member of academia anyway. No one is demonizing your "book learning". We are trying to establish what academia is vs what a college education is, and the two are not the same.

    I have no problem with well-educated anyone in government. I just think that a balance is needed. Not purely theorists, nor purely pragmatists.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #69
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Man, my undergrad years were filled with many nights of the week ending up being 13 hour days :P
    So were mine, but that was mostly drinking at the fraternity house. Let's see, undergrad I had 2 majors (Physics and Chemistry) and 3 minors (Math, Botany and Political Science). I never took less than 15 hours, one semester I took 21 hours. I was in SPS (President for 2 years), Chemistry Club (Vice-President), Student Government, Student Council for the College of Natural Arts and Science (Secretary), I tutored, I did research in Physics and Chemistry (I even created a new fluorescence lab experiment for P-Chem), I had a job with the Physics department, and I was an officer in my Fraternity for 3 years. And it all fit in all nice and well leaving me with enough time to piss off most days of the week and get drunk with friends.

    Undergrad was easy. Masters work was tougher, but still straight forward. PhD work kicked my ass and left me with no time (I only took 1 week off a year and that was around Christmas).
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #70
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So were mine, but that was mostly drinking at the fraternity house. Let's see, undergrad I had 2 majors (Physics and Chemistry) and 3 minors (Math, Botany and Political Science). I never took less than 15 hours, one semester I took 21 hours. I was in SPS (President for 2 years), Chemistry Club (Vice-President), Student Government, Student Council for the College of Natural Arts and Science (Secretary), I tutored, I did research in Physics and Chemistry (I even created a new fluorescence lab experiment for P-Chem), I had a job with the Physics department, and I was an officer in my Fraternity for 3 years. And it all fit in all nice and well leaving me with enough time to piss off most days of the week and get drunk with friends.

    Undergrad was easy. Masters work was tougher, but still straight forward. PhD work kicked my ass and left me with no time (I only took 1 week off a year and that was around Christmas).
    I was reading books and writing all the time. That must have been why I didn't come out of the bedroom to talk to my roommates. :P
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •