View Poll Results: .

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Academic Faculty

    38 67.86%
  • Average Joes

    18 32.14%
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 236

Thread: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    You mean a breach of the first amendment? Not necessarily. The first amendment, like all the other amendments, is not an absolute. The caselaw on this is long and complicated, but it is the law. There are a number of crimes that involve speech and/or communications (more broadly construed) that are perfectly constitutional. Solicitation is a crime, for instance. Do you not think it should be a crime to say "I'll pay you $10k if you kill my business partner"? How about revealing state secrets? Or telling someone, "If you don't transfer the deed to your house to me, I'll kill your sister." All of those things are crimes. All of them involve speech. None of the laws making those things crimes are unconstitutional. You might reasonably disagree as to the specifics of how the government may legitimately criminalize speech, but you probably shouldn't pretend that it is an absolute right. It never has been, and it shouldn't be, in some narrow contexts.
    "Congress shall pass no law" Seems like absolute language to me. Speech is also incapable of killing another and threats are not a violation of your rights. Your other example is just planning to harm another.
    Last edited by Henrin; 10-03-12 at 10:44 PM.

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I would if I hadn't spent years doing that, being tutored by a world expert on the American Colonization Society and slavery.
    I wonder if you actually understand the meaning of liberty.

  3. #163
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    "Congress shall pass no law" Seems like absolute language to me. Speech is also incapable of killing another and threats are not a violation of your rights.
    So you disagree that all the things I named are crimes, and are constitutional?

  4. #164
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    You mean a breach of the first amendment? Not necessarily. The first amendment, like all the other amendments, is not an absolute. The caselaw on this is long and complicated, but it is the law. There are a number of crimes that involve speech and/or communications (more broadly construed) that are perfectly constitutional. Solicitation is a crime, for instance. Do you not think it should be a crime to say "I'll pay you $10k if you kill my business partner"? How about revealing state secrets? Or telling someone, "If you don't transfer the deed to your house to me, I'll kill your sister." All of those things are crimes. All of them involve speech. None of the laws making those things crimes are unconstitutional. You might reasonably disagree as to the specifics of how the government may legitimately criminalize speech, but you probably shouldn't pretend that it is an absolute right. It never has been, and it shouldn't be, in some narrow contexts.
    As far as idealogicaly we are going to disagree as I believe in no such retrictions. That said there is reality. You can be charged with anything. Whether or not it sticks is a different matter altogether.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  5. #165
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I wonder if you actually understand the meaning of liberty.
    Does it matter what you think if you don't understand what slavery is?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #166
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    As far as idealogicaly we are going to disagree as I believe in no such retrictions.

    That said there is reality. You can be charged with anything. Whether or not it sticks is a different matter altogether.
    I don't disagree. Being indicted, however, is extremely unpleasant by itself.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    At what point did we become closer to slaves than free?
    When they started to punish us and control us when no harm was committed by our actions. Also when they failed to respect our property rights and are right of free travel without interference. I'm not sure when that happened but I'm not that interested to know either.
    Last edited by Henrin; 10-03-12 at 10:53 PM.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Does it matter what you think if you don't understand what slavery is?
    Do you know what the word means or not? If they are violating our liberty as much as they we are closer to slavery than being free.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    So you disagree that all the things I named are crimes, and are constitutional?
    I agree that all of them are crimes, but they are not constitutional. I'm sure you will have all sorts of court cases that say otherwise too. The constitution is after all toilet paper that has been used many times.

  10. #170
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Academia vs Joe Sixpack

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Do you know what the word means or not? If they are violating our liberty as much as they we are closer to slavery than being free.
    You were the one who made the claim that we are closer to slavery than freedom, and I took exception to that, just by knowing the historical record on that. Let's not get into a typical Libertarian "liberty" fest when you have deliberately exaggerated our condition to such an extent as to compare yourself to men and women who had no rights at all and were exterminated with little thought at all. It's insulting.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •