View Poll Results: Does Obama get more votes for or against him because of race?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama gets more net votes because he's black

    11 45.83%
  • Obama gets fewer net votes because he's black

    5 20.83%
  • Obama's race has no bearing on who votes for him.

    2 8.33%
  • The number of people who vote for him is canceled out by those who vote against him BECAUSE of race

    6 25.00%
  • Questions that suggest blacks vote motivated by race is fair game. This does not and is divisive.

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

  1. #1
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    Party affiliation is the biggest factor in my opinion, followed by the issues, followed by things like likability and being a good family man and being a good model, etc. However I think being black helps Obama among black to voters to some extent. I wonder does race identification among the 14% of black voters specifically considering the historical significance of being the first black pouts where like many city mayors wouldn't matter in terms to breaking new ground in racial equality going forward, is greater or lesser than the impact of 86% of non-black voters some of whom (hopefully few) will vote AGINST him because of race.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #2
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,754
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    The answer is obvious.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  3. #3
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    Party affiliation only exists because of the issues. No one would stick with a party that they liked in the past if it completely betrayed their principals. Well, not unless that other one espoused them. There's a lot of people who I imagine are going to vote for Romney specifically to oppose the Democratic president. Even some Ron Paul or Gary Johnson supporters will. But that's because they really don't like where the Democratic party stands on various issues! Nobody has this deep running preference for the letter R or the letter D. They pick the side that most closely matches where they stand on issues.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Party affiliation only exists because of the issues. No one would stick with a party that they liked in the past if it completely betrayed their principals. Well, not unless that other one espoused them. There's a lot of people who I imagine are going to vote for Romney specifically to oppose the Democratic president. Even some Ron Paul or Gary Johnson supporters will. But that's because they really don't like where the Democratic party stands on various issues! Nobody has this deep running preference for the letter R or the letter D. They pick the side that most closely matches where they stand on issues.
    Interestingly, the democrat party is taking black voters for granted on the issues, social issues primary but others as well. IMHO the biggest factors in keeping many from considering the GOP are: group loyalty, a special commitment to the democrats at this time because the first ever black president is in office who is a democrat and lastly uninformed and insensitive treatment by republicans that have been turn offs. If the GOP learned how to put out an unambiguous welcome sign for minorities instead of sending the "get over it!", "you're all a bunch or free loaders" and "go back to where you came from (which happens to be Texas)" messages of resentment and disdain, I bet you'd see more defections from the democrats. Problem is you can't turn that image around in 60 days or even in 4 years, IMHO. And it has to be consistent and authentic. Surgical and selective pandering is only going to turn off minorities even more.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  5. #5
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Party affiliation is the biggest factor in my opinion, followed by the issues, followed by things like likability and being a good family man and being a good model, etc. However I think being black helps Obama among black to voters to some extent. I wonder does race identification among the 14% of black voters specifically considering the historical significance of being the first black pouts where like many city mayors wouldn't matter in terms to breaking new ground in racial equality going forward, is greater or lesser than the impact of 86% of non-black voters some of whom (hopefully few) will vote AGINST him because of race.
    Considering the fact there are both white and black people who voted for Obama because he is black I would say that more people voted for him than against him because of his race.That I believe that the majority of voters didn't consider his race.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #6
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Considering the fact there are both white and black people who voted for Obama because he is black I would say that more people voted for him than against him because of his race.That I believe that the majority of voters didn't consider his race.
    Not sure if I agree but plausible. In any event, people who change their vote based on race, which is different that being more excited about or driven to vote the way they were going to vote anyway is very small in my opinion.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  7. #7
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,467

    Re: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    I think lots of blacks vote for Obama because he is black. On the other hand, I think the Republicans subliminally pander to lingering racism in Southern States and this about balances it out.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Riding a tapir
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,432
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    The answer is obvious.
    Being that you're a conservative, I'll take it that your "obvious answer" is: "Obama gets more net votes because he's black".

  9. #9
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,754
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    Quote Originally Posted by waas View Post
    Being that you're a conservative, I'll take it that your "obvious answer" is: "Obama gets more net votes because he's black".
    The truth is what the truth is.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  10. #10
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,986

    Re: Do more people vote for or against Obama mainly because of race?

    I won't presume to say what anybody else has used for their criteria for voting for or against Obama. I can only speak for myself.

    Race absolutely does not figure into my decision whom to vote for.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •