View Poll Results: Is homework detention necessary

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    23 37.10%
  • no

    39 62.90%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 136

Thread: Is Homework Detention necessary?

  1. #81
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Why isn't it?

    You know - outside of school kids have a thing called family. Headed by parents or legal guardians . . . .and this thing called family, life and home sometimes just interfere with school things like homework. Other things like sickness and such.

    Can't fault students for things that sometimes might not be their fault.
    I see. So when your child is an adult with a full-time job, will he be excused from finishing a project by an expected due date because he and family and life obligations that interfered? How often will he be able to simply not perform an expected portion of his job because of family and life obligations?

    I've had 3 primary "adult" jobs, and let me tell you...even the nicest manager isn't going to accept that I failed to complete a task because of a family obligation if my failure is repetitive and ongoing.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Why isn't it?

    You know - outside of school kids have a thing called family. Headed by parents or legal guardians . . . .and this thing called family, life and home sometimes just interfere with school things like homework. Other things like sickness and such.

    Can't fault students for things that sometimes might not be their fault.
    Oh my God! Kids of have families? Wow. I didn't know that I had a family when I was sitting in homework detention in 8th grade finishing the homework that I hadn't done the night before! Thanks for letting me know!

    Aside from the sarcasm induced by your laughable condescension, my problem with your "kids have families" defense is that it isn't compelling. Should kids be excused from doing poorly on tests because they have "families"? Probably not. However, if they're having serious issues, most schools will work something out so that the student can do their work at a different pace and not be punished. Similarly, parents can talk to teachers if an unexpected problem prevents the student from doing their work.

    The fact is that when a school has high standards, students are expected to meet them. What I see in your argument and a lot of others is low standards.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 09-29-12 at 11:18 AM. Reason: oops

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    School is academic. It is not about preparing someone to work. It is about teaching them the knowledge they will need to apply to their work.

    They should be learning that from their parents, from internships, from apprenticeships.
    Internships and apprencticeships come later--after a student has learned to follow instructions (and unlike in the classroom, most bosses don't present us with a written list of daily or weekly tasks, LOL), to pay attention to details, to follow through on a commitment, to profit from errors, etc.

  4. #84
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Maybe they should focus more on how the student is overall rather than the occasional missed assignment. If the child repetitively misses assignments then their grades will suffer - so focus on those . . . rather than just treating all as if they're equally on bad footing.

    Our kid's school system doesn't need 'homework detention' - so obviously it's not a necessity in order to maintain a decent education.

    And yes - schools cannot dictate a child's life 24/7. It's abusive of the school's position and intrusive into the child's life.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #85
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    The bolded statement is factually untrue and has been proven so by several behavioral studies.

    I'm not arguing that we have a perfect system. In fact, I've pointed out several flaws in the system in this thread.

    But, and please don't take this personally, Monday morning Quarterbacks tend to know exactly zilch about how children actually learn, or what methods will work best. They also tend to adopt this attitude that if the system is so terrible, that kids shouldn't be expected to perform well and can be excused for failing to meet their obligations as students.

    As much as the system needs to be revamped, parents need an attitude check. If you want your kids to learn, and they're forced to learn in a broken system, then you have an obligation as their parent to teach them how to get the most of out what's available. That doesn't mean making excuses for them to avoid their work.
    I don't need to know how children learn.

    I know my 4 year old knows how to spell her name, her sisters name, her mothers name, my name, her address, her phone number, can spell every state on the map, can do basic addition and subtraction.... and on.

    And I used the same principles to 'teach' her as I have used to teach adults one of the most complex manufacturing machines in the world.

    In the end, I am not too concerned about studies. I am concerned about my daughters being better than me. And I am concerned with my co-workers being self sustaining.

    And it all comes down to the very same thing. Attention span. Ever wonder why a kid can rattle off just about every sports stat known to man but he can't do his algebra? Or he can recall every known species of dinosaur to walk the earth, yet can't read a sentence?

    I'll stay the Monday morning Quarterback. You can rely on your studies.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    IMO, YES
    However, I do NOT like this detention idea as it was practiced in my time.
    We needed help, and recieved none.
    I am reminded of that excellent movie which dealt with children serving detention , during the 70s or 80s...
    Google for the name of the movie.

  7. #87
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,202

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Which state? Public or private school?
    Public school in Ontario.

  8. #88
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    I don't need to know how children learn.

    I know my 4 year old knows how to spell her name, her sisters name, her mothers name, my name, her address, her phone number, can spell every state on the map, can do basic addition and subtraction.... and on.

    And I used the same principles to 'teach' her as I have used to teach adults one of the most complex manufacturing machines in the world.

    In the end, I am not too concerned about studies. I am concerned about my daughters being better than me. And I am concerned with my co-workers being self sustaining.

    And it all comes down to the very same thing. Attention span. Ever wonder why a kid can rattle off just about every sports stat known to man but he can't do his algebra? Or he can recall every known species of dinosaur to walk the earth, yet can't read a sentence?

    I'll stay the Monday morning Quarterback. You can rely on your studies.
    There's a lot of ignorance in this post. That's unfortunate.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #89
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Maybe they should focus more on how the student is overall rather than the occasional missed assignment. If the child repetitively misses assignments then their grades will suffer - so focus on those . . . rather than just treating all as if they're equally on bad footing.

    Our kid's school system doesn't need 'homework detention' - so obviously it's not a necessity in order to maintain a decent education.

    And yes - schools cannot dictate a child's life 24/7. It's abusive of the school's position and intrusive into the child's life.
    1. Schools can do both and many, in fact, do both. In fact, not allowing kids to miss a single assignment is only one policy out of many that seeks produce an OVERALL quality student.

    2. Decent isn't good enough.

    3. Could you be any more hyperbolic? Homework detention has nothing to do with "dictating a child's life 24/7" and it isn't even close to being abusive. It's incredibly problematic to think of the topic we're discussing here as anything even close to abuse. High standards aren't abuse and low standards can be what keep students from reaching their potential as adults.

  10. #90
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    There's a lot of ignorance in this post. That's unfortunate.
    Unfortunate for whom? My daughter that is learning faster than other children her age? Or my co-workers who have learned the complex machine faster than at the OEM?

    I can accept being ignorant considering the results.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •