View Poll Results: Is homework detention necessary

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    23 37.10%
  • no

    39 62.90%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 136

Thread: Is Homework Detention necessary?

  1. #51
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
    If you haven't heard or don't know what Homework Detention is, it's a form of discipline that penalizes students who don't do their homework.

    I've been to one school that did this, I just want to say that it was very overused and very harsh. Teachers would give you homework detention for missing ONE homework assignment. It was like being punished for missing one day of swimming class.

    The schools that do this needs to get back to reality. It's okay to punish students who don't do their homework, but have to give them detention for missing one assignment just proves that you are desperate. Homework isn't really that important. At the school I'm at now, the teachers are not even uptight about such an obsessive assignment. They're not even going to ask or keep you after school.

    Is homework detention necessary?
    I graduated from High School with a 1.62 GPA. Only because I didn't do my homework. I aced my tests. I placed in the 95%+ on the standardized testing.

    The whole idea is supposed to be about learning the material.

    The very idea that there should be punishment for solely not doing homework just does not compute in my brain. Even the idea of punishing a kid for not learning something, just does not compute. As if punishing them is going to make them comply.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  2. #52
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, homework for vocabulary words and things like that is fine, but when the kids are given homework from every class and have to work for 2-3 hours a day on homework on top of what they did in school, I think they just get discouraged and burned out.
    Then they'll never make it through college.

    Homework isn't supposed to be about having fun. It's about learning, retention, and application.

    Analyze why it's taking 2-3 hours. If it's because they're struggling, help them. If it's just because the load is high, help them figure out a way to balance the load. But telling them, "Awh, that's too much. Don't you worry about that homework, son."...that teaches them a terrible lesson about work ethic, responsibility, and meeting the expectations of their "superiors".
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    So make the children work harder and longer for the failures of the school system? I don't know anything about home schooling. I went to public school and hardly ever did my homework. I had a 3.8 gradepoint average in college though. Go figure.
    There is a reason why so many homeschoolers in my state are now taking college courses as dual-credit students. There are so many curricula that focus on what matters, and with focus, students do learn. And my community is experimenting with another solution to the problem that Tessaesque identified: Measurably, American students are humiliatingly behind in contrast to other civilized countries' measurable academic ratings. This high school has to be applied to, and it targets the ambitious, industrious, and at-risk. So far (third year) it's working. But it does require a mature classroom attitude and real work, including homework.

  4. #54
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
    If you haven't heard or don't know what Homework Detention is, it's a form of discipline that penalizes students who don't do their homework.

    I've been to one school that did this, I just want to say that it was very overused and very harsh. Teachers would give you homework detention for missing ONE homework assignment. It was like being punished for missing one day of swimming class.

    The schools that do this needs to get back to reality. It's okay to punish students who don't do their homework, but have to give them detention for missing one assignment just proves that you are desperate. Homework isn't really that important. At the school I'm at now, the teachers are not even uptight about such an obsessive assignment. They're not even going to ask or keep you after school.

    Is homework detention necessary?
    Maybe not if a student misses one homework assignment, but I think it is absolutely necessary for kids who cannot seem to motivate themselves to do it.

    Homework is not just about learning the material, it's also about teaching kids how to be good workers. A child who doesn't do his homework is also more likely to slack off at a job, procrastinate important assignments, take longer to do more important work, and address it in a less thoughtful way.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Then they'll never make it through college.

    Homework isn't supposed to be about having fun. It's about learning, retention, and application.

    Analyze why it's taking 2-3 hours. If it's because they're struggling, help them. If it's just because the load is high, help them figure out a way to balance the load. But telling them, "Awh, that's too much. Don't you worry about that homework, son."...that teaches them a terrible lesson about work ethic, responsibility, and meeting the expectations of their "superiors".
    That's not true at all. I hardly ever did my homework. I was a horrible high school student, but I did great in college. Besides, I never told my son not to do his homework or expressed that to him. There are much more effective ways to teach responsibility than homework.

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Then they'll never make it through college.

    Homework isn't supposed to be about having fun. It's about learning, retention, and application.

    Analyze why it's taking 2-3 hours. If it's because they're struggling, help them. If it's just because the load is high, help them figure out a way to balance the load. But telling them, "Awh, that's too much. Don't you worry about that homework, son."...that teaches them a terrible lesson about work ethic, responsibility, and meeting the expectations of their "superiors".
    And that's the thing, whether the student is college or workforce-bound: Life isn't Burger King, and you are going to have to do work that you don't always like or think is important. You are going to have to acquire life-skills such as time management so that you can both work and play.

  7. #57
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    When a decent performing student sees a very under-performing and disruptive student get passed on to the next grade just as they are, what motivation do they have?

    Young kids are never going to grasp what it means for their future. All they know is the kid screwing around achieved the same thing they did. That is the lesson they learn.

    FFS we have kids graduating who can barely read. All because as a society we don't want to hurt their feelings.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Homework is not an equivalent of Work/work.

    At work, I'm given a great deal of independence to accomplish what needs to be done, in the most efficient way possible.
    At school, I'm only allowed to do it, in the least efficient way I can, by doing mindless and repetitive crap, I don't need to do.
    I see. So school systems should be molded around the philosophy behind your job.

    That makes perfect sense.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    I see. So school systems should be molded around the philosophy behind your job.

    That makes perfect sense.
    Well my job isn't modeled around the school system, so the comparison you made failed.
    Sorry, homework is not equal to paid work.

    The fact is, school doesn't prepare you for the work world, beyond basic reading and math.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #60
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Is Homework Detention necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's not true at all. I hardly ever did my homework. I was a horrible high school student, but I did great in college. Besides, I never told my son not to do his homework or expressed that to him. There are much more effective ways to teach responsibility than homework.
    I never had to study in high school. I did all the homework assignments, but before tests I never cracked a book or did a study guide. Never created a notes sheet when they were allowed. I graduated 3 people outside of the top 10 in a class of almost 900, had an awesome SAT score, and got offered a 75% tuition scholarship to Baylor.

    I ended up at a community college due to finances and had a government professor who took her job so seriously that I almost flunked. Her tests were not about rote memorization or recalling facts from the text. You had to be able to make higher-level connections, draw conclusions, and analyze potential outcomes to pass her tests. And so for the first time in my life I had to study.

    I had no clue what to do. None. I'd never gone to a study group, never tried to really do research, nothing. I had to go to a work shop on how to study, and only gained marginal skills by the time the semester ended, barely pulling out a B in a class I damn sure could have made an A in.

    So my anecdotal evidence probably means jack squat to you, right? Don't take offense to this, but yours doesn't mean much more to me. Statistically speaking, students who do the homework do better overall, on tests, in regards to behavior, and in general in the schooling environment. Just because we have a few rebel flukes here on the boards who managed success without trying doesn't negate that the statistical swing goes the other way.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •