View Poll Results: Should the Government redistribute money?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 36.21%
  • No

    37 63.79%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

  1. #31
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm
    If it is everything, then it is nothing. That's your argument? That position is pathetic.
    EVERYTHING the government does redistributes wealth. Since it is everything, the whole "redistribution of wealth! Blarg!" talking point is pathetic because it artificially truncates the definition of "redistribute" to encompass only the things you don't like while conveniently ignoring the redistribution that you agree with.

  2. #32
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    03-20-16 @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    72

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    What specific pieces of legislation has Obama supported that redistribute wealth?
    I stated that Obama wants to redistribute wealth and if he can get away with it he will.


  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So taking your money by the government and paying some solider or policeman or postman is wealth redistribution. Taking your money to pay some guy to make a road for someone else is wealth redistribution.
    Certainly not. That's what taxes are all about. Redistribution of wealth is taking money from one individual and give it to another... just because... Social welfare, for example.
    The policeman and the solder work for everybody, not just certain individuals. If the policeman was protecting a certain individual, that would be private service. In fact, many private security firms do that.

  4. #34
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Certainly not. That's what taxes are all about. Redistribution of wealth is taking money from one individual and give it to another... just because... Social welfare, for example.
    The policeman and the solder work for everybody, not just certain individuals. If the policeman was protecting a certain individual, that would be private service. In fact, many private security firms do that.
    Sorry but the definition is quite clear. Taking money for someone to give another is wealth redistribution.

    Now I could claim that universal healthcare is not wealth redistribution either under the same conditions you put on policemen and the military. Or the public library, or some road at the other end of the country that I will never ever use. Now I wont do that, because I fully accept that UHC, the policeman, military, road, public library, public sector worker that picks up trash or border police.. all are part of a massive wealth redistribution system with our tax money.
    PeteEU

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    That's existed for decades and decades. The only thing Obama has done to the tax rates is extend the bush cuts.
    More than decades, progressive taxation is the ONLY way income tax has EVER been collected.

  6. #36
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    I agree with this somewhat but the argument will always remain "how many angels can fit on the head of a needle". In other words we can want what we want all we want but is it really going to happen no matter who is in power? Unlikely

    All government leaders are in some way or another beholden to the wealthy and the wealthy if they are crossed have enough power and influence to create a situation that would make the Great Depression look like a cake walk and they would not be affected.

    There are some wealthy out there (Damn few) who still see their role as collective not individualistic. But they are not enough to help influence the others who vastly outnumber them.

    I may sound like gloom and doom but it is the reality of the world. The best we can hope for is to chip away at those areas that can help out the lower and middle class and maybe get alittle more out of the rich.

    Just a thought. Lots of people are yelling for government spending cuts and reducing the size of government. Thats nice.

    What they do not realize or perhaps understand is that willy nilly crap doesn't work. IMHO the only two things Carter did right in his presidency was to get the Alaska Lands Settlement Act passed and actually effectively reduce the size of Government. Clinton took a shot at this too but was not as effective.

    Here's how he did it.

    Created a review board of existing federal managers and mandated them to find duplication in agencies within the same department.
    Find programs within any department that had outlived their usefullness or did not serve any productive purpose.
    Assign qualified managers to agencies and departments who were veterans of those groups so that they person in charge know how the system ran and could do it effectively. Unfortunately he did not do this at the cabinet level.
    Closed military bases which had outlived their usefullness and ordered the Pentagon to stop asking for money to run bases that had been closed for years.

    He never got a chance to complete this job but at least he tried.

    Wolfman24
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    If one is defining REDISTRIBUTION as the government taking in taxes and then spending those taxes on services to people, how could government NOT be involved in redistribution and still exist and do its job?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #38
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Obama signed it...but the real name should be....Romney/PelosiCare.....modeled after mittsies mass plan and instituted and mangled by Pelosi....hey lets not forget something else here...why dont we call it SCOTUSCARE it was upheld by the supreme court
    Like it or hate it, Romneycare was passed on a STATE level by state representatives. Thats how it SHOULD be done. Pelosi and co DID manage to ram through legislation, with votes from politicians who admitted they never even read about what they were voting for and STILL dont know. When the bill comes due...theres going to be a whole lot of crying...primarily from those CURRENT liberal supporters who are going to be forced into securing healthcare or being taxed againt their will for it. Well played!

    As for the 'Obamacare' moniker...its kinda tough to be upset about the name when Obama himself is running around touting his successful passage of the legislation.

  9. #39
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    I don't care what you call it, the real debate is over what a person values and associate their identity with.

    Through the philosophies of both schools of thought, republican or democrat, the republican basically identifies with the individual. "Why should I pay money for other people?" "It is my money!" Now I hope republicans know, that if a government were to exist taxes have to be paid. There can never be absolutely no taxes.

    Now the democrats identify with other people, and some, the planet. So their value system has to do with helping other people, and sometimes, helping the planet.

    The point that I am trying to make, is there is no point into bickering back and forth, trying to stump the other person with reasoning. In order for someone to go from one school of thought to the other, something happens to the value system of the individual.

    The true debate, is how do you associate with other people in our country and why? That is what is meaningful. And honestly, people cannot change their stance unless people have a philosophical discussion about how people should treat other people, because we are talking about identity. That is much deeper in an individual compared to whom raised taxes and why.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Sorry but the definition is quite clear. Taking money for someone to give another is wealth redistribution.
    Please, read it carefully - taking money from one and give it to someone else. Without anything in exchange that is. Taking money from you to pay the street sweeper is not money redistribution. It's the state, municipality, etc being an employer to the sweeper. The same applies for police, military, fire brigade and so on. Redistribution is the state giving money to someone unemployed.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •