View Poll Results: Should the Government redistribute money?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 36.21%
  • No

    37 63.79%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

  1. #11
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    anywho, in response to the OP.


    At this point, the question is not whether or not we will have wealth redistribution - it is how should we structure it. Over time perhaps we can wean ourselves off, but to send the American people cold turkey tomorrow would be to create disruption, pain, and loss worse than that which we are trying to solve.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by GmH View Post
    We all know Obama wants to redistribute money. Do you feel the same way. Tax the rich, tax the corps and give to the poor.
    To a limited degree, not as much as some liberals want, but more than some Republicans want.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #13
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    That's a different issue. I don't agree with Obamacare but it's certainly not wealth distribution. No one is being given money, in fact people are being forced to PAY money because of Obamacare. The Supreme Court struck down the part forcing states to expand medicaid, so there's certainly no wealth distribution going on via Obamacare.
    Actually "Obamacare" raises premiums for younger people and lowers them for older people.
    Even though older people tend to be more wealthy, it's a regressive subsidy.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #14
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Actually "Obamacare" raises premiums for younger people and lowers them for older people.
    Even though older people tend to be more wealthy, it's a regressive subsidy.
    and young people tend to be poorer. Guess which candidate really wants to tax the poor to give to the upper income?

  5. #15
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and young people tend to be poorer. Guess which candidate really wants to tax the poor to give to the upper income?
    Yep, but people eat anything up.
    To be fair though, I'm not a fan of Romney either.

    I think they're both boobs.
    Republicans should of went with Gary Johnson, but mild mannered doesn't fit in any political group these days.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #16
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    that.... plus an incredibly destructive foreign policy....


    you have to be a full three legged conservative (or play enough of one on TV) to get the GOP behind you. Johnson, to his credit, was too honest to misrepresent himself as such.

  7. #17
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    What specific pieces of legislation has Obama supported that redistribute wealth?
    None, zero, null...

  8. #18
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    I wholeheartedly think the government should redistribute money from people who are just sitting on it. We should:
    1. take money from people with lots of it and little marginal propensity to spend
      • this means the government has more money/less debt and the economy doesn't suffer much for it because they wouldn't have spent the money anyway
      • if you ain't spending it, hiring people or doing anything else that helps out the country as a whole, we have no ****ing reason to incentivize you to be doing that economically less productive stuff with generous (~15%) tax rates. (and giving non-job creators ~30% tax rates would hardly onerous)
    2. invest in workfare programs that get the un/under-employed working in projects that improve the national infrastructure
      • this increases the lower/middle classes' income thus improving demand and strengthening the economy in the short term
      • it also improves the infrastructure, making it easier for businesses to flourish and create more jobs in the middle term and long terms
    3. invest in education (jobs training programs and free college degrees in needed fields for anyone that can maintain good grades)
      • this bolsters our nation's deteriorating global competitiveness and makes us much better off in the long term

  9. #19
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    OK, how about Obamacare?

    Obama signed it...but the real name should be....Romney/PelosiCare.....modeled after mittsies mass plan and instituted and mangled by Pelosi....hey lets not forget something else here...why dont we call it SCOTUSCARE it was upheld by the supreme court

  10. #20
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Do YOU think the Government should redistribute money

    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkySalsa View Post
    I wholeheartedly think the government should redistribute money from people who are just sitting on it. We should:
    1. take money from people with lots of it and little marginal propensity to spend
      • this means the government has more money/less debt and the economy doesn't suffer much for it because they wouldn't have spent the money anyway
      • if you ain't spending it, hiring people or doing anything else that helps out the country as a whole, we have no ****ing reason to incentivize you to be doing that economically less productive stuff with generous (~15%) tax rates. (and giving non-job creators ~30% tax rates would hardly onerous)
    2. invest in workfare programs that get the un/under-employed working in projects that improve the national infrastructure
      • this increases the lower/middle classes' income thus improving demand and strengthening the economy in the short term
      • it also improves the infrastructure, making it easier for businesses to flourish and create more jobs in the middle term and long terms
    3. invest in education (jobs training programs and free college degrees in needed fields for anyone that can maintain good grades)
      • this bolsters our nation's deteriorating global competitiveness and makes us much better off in the long term
    That's not wealth redistribution, though. That's increasing tax rates to fund new government programs, not taking money from some and handing it to others.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •