View Poll Results: Which BOR Amendment is themost important?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st

    13 72.22%
  • 2nd

    10 55.56%
  • 3rd

    3 16.67%
  • 4th

    5 27.78%
  • 5th

    5 27.78%
  • 6th

    5 27.78%
  • 7th

    3 16.67%
  • 8th

    4 22.22%
  • 9th

    5 27.78%
  • 10th

    3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

  1. #11
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Not out of date, so much as misunderstood.

    Consider that when it was written, no electronic technology existed. No telephones to be tapped. No recorders, transmitters, microphones, nothing. If you wanted to spy on someone, to learn the content of any conversations that that person might have, the only way was to put a live human being in a position to overhear those conversations.

    The Third Amendment isn't about compelling people to providing housing for soldiers; it is about putting those soldiers in a position to spy on the individuals in whose homes they would be quartered.
    I disagree. The 3rd is about appropriating your property for use by the military. The 4th is about keeping them out.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  2. #12
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    LOL, I noticed some people (Bob and Surtr) voted for every amendment. I see the Seventh as kind of unimportant, especially since twenty dollars was worth a lot more then than it is now, since it only covers suits of common law and not criminal law. I'm not suggesting we should get rid of it, I'm just saying in regards to the others (freedom of security in your own property, rights of the accused, freedom of speech and the right to bear arms) it is relatively insignificant.

    The First, Second, Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth all seem the most important, but the First especially. Allowing breaking into houses, arbitrary tribunals and abolition of guns are all steps that can enable tyranny, but abolishing freedom of thought and expression is in and of itself tyrannical.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    The second of course, with out it, you cannot protect any of the others.

    None of these "rights" are really rights. They are earned privileges. A "Right" would exist completely independent of any actions. Everyone of our "Rights" depends on someone taking actions to give them to us, thus, they are actually earned privileges, not "Rights". Non of them exist naturally or in nature, they are a man-made created construct. If they were natural and actual "Rights" then they could not be abridged by any human action. They are only valuable to us because we earn them. Anything that is given with out some means of earning it has no value.

    These earned privileges have value, at least to some of us, because we exert effort and work to maintain and have them, thus they are valuable to us.

    The "Right" to keep and bear arms is the most valuable of them all because it is the tool that allows us the ability to earn all the others.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #14
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    LOL, I noticed some people (Bob and Surtr) voted for every amendment.
    Why not? If we allow them to remove one, we give them all the justification they need to remove any others they want.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    The second of course, with out it, you cannot protect any of the others.

    None of these "rights" are really rights. They are earned privileges. A "Right" would exist completely independent of any actions. Everyone of our "Rights" depends on someone taking actions to give them to us, thus, they are actually earned privileges, not "Rights". Non of them exist naturally or in nature, they are a man-made created construct. If they were natural and actual "Rights" then they could not be abridged by any human action. They are only valuable to us because we earn them. Anything that is given with out some means of earning it has no value.

    These earned privileges have value, at least to some of us, because we exert effort and work to maintain and have them, thus they are valuable to us.

    The "Right" to keep and bear arms is the most valuable of them all because it is the tool that allows us the ability to earn all the others.
    So, you don't buy into the "endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights" concept?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, you don't buy into the "endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights" concept?
    Nope, sure don't. The Creator gave us life, but also free will.

    Life--You are given it at birth (conception for the pro-lifers), but from then on, it is a struggle to keep it. You are dependent upon your parents at first, they fight for and provide for you while you grow. Then it is incumbent upon you, the individual to do what is necessary to keep that life. Your parents and then you have to constantly earn that "right", don't, and you lose it.

    Liberty--I cannot remember the exact quote, but Liberty can only be bought and maintained by the shedding of the blood of patriots who believe in it. If you, or someone acting for you, does not work constantly, and often die, to give it to you, it will not exist.

    Pursuit of Happiness--Perhaps one of the few actual Rights, it cannot be taken from you. No matter what anyone does to you, short of taking your life, even if you lose your liberty/s, you can still pursue happiness. Of course whether or not you actually catch it is completely dependent upon you, but you can always pursue it as long as you are alive.

    One of the only other Natural Rights is the right to self defense, it cannot be taken from you and you cannot be prevented from doing it. There may be repercussions for doing so, but you are always free to do so. And of course, there is no guarantee that you will win.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    I'm not one to choose which is better than the others .. but if I had to, I would choose the 1st amendment... simply because free speech/expression is the foundation of all others, as i see it.

    then I would choose the 2nd, as a means to protect the 1st.

  8. #18
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Why not? If we allow them to remove one, we give them all the justification they need to remove any others they want.
    It's not which one you think can be removed, it's which ones are more important. Obviously they're all needed
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, you don't buy into the "endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights" concept?
    Nope, we endowed ourselves with those rights.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #20
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Which BOR right(s) is (are) the most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Nope, sure don't. The Creator gave us life, but also free will.

    Life--You are given it at birth (conception for the pro-lifers), but from then on, it is a struggle to keep it. You are dependent upon your parents at first, they fight for and provide for you while you grow. Then it is incumbent upon you, the individual to do what is necessary to keep that life. Your parents and then you have to constantly earn that "right", don't, and you lose it.

    Liberty--I cannot remember the exact quote, but Liberty can only be bought and maintained by the shedding of the blood of patriots who believe in it. If you, or someone acting for you, does not work constantly, and often die, to give it to you, it will not exist.

    Pursuit of Happiness--Perhaps one of the few actual Rights, it cannot be taken from you. No matter what anyone does to you, short of taking your life, even if you lose your liberty/s, you can still pursue happiness. Of course whether or not you actually catch it is completely dependent upon you, but you can always pursue it as long as you are alive.

    One of the only other Natural Rights is the right to self defense, it cannot be taken from you and you cannot be prevented from doing it. There may be repercussions for doing so, but you are always free to do so. And of course, there is no guarantee that you will win.
    The Declaration of Independence goes on to say that it is the purpose of government to protect those rights. If the government is doing something that doesn't protect our rights, or worse yet, if the government is threatening those rights, then it is the duty of patriots to replace that government with one that does protect our rights.

    All of that still works even if you don't believe in a creator, or don't believe that said creator gave us our rights.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •