View Poll Results: Why are today's poor more miserable?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because they don't have all their needs met.

    8 16.67%
  • Because advertising constantly reminds them of what they can't afford.

    16 33.33%
  • Because the rich are too rich!!

    7 14.58%
  • Because they (the poor) no longer farm.

    5 10.42%
  • Because they are no longer needed for manufacturing.

    4 8.33%
  • Because they're packed into cities.

    8 16.67%
  • Because welfare breeds dependence and thus resentment.

    20 41.67%
  • N/A - the poor have always been pretty equally miserable.

    12 25.00%
  • Other (explain)

    15 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 127

Thread: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Ya know, as a former "poor" myself, I don't really see the poor daydreaming about yachts and mansions, or even iPads and fancy clothes. They really aren't all that materialistic.

    I see them daydreaming about not having to eat Ramen for another week, or being able to get their teeth fixed.

    Among those who are politically aware in the slightest, I see them daydreaming about finding one candidate, just ONE, who represents something other than big business and their own ego.

    Why are the poor miserable? Two reasons.

    The first is that being poor is stressful. Not knowing where your next meal is coming from, or knowing you're one stumble away from losing your home, will do that do you.

    Two is that they are voiceless. No one in our governmental arena represents them.
    Exactly. The options in the poll are pretty laughable. Welfare? Welfare existed since Bismarck. Manufacturing and farming? Have anybody who chose those options ever worked in a factory or a farm? Cities? Cities have existed for millennias.
    I think SAM's opinion is the most valid in this thread
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  2. #42
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    01-19-14 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    459

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    #1) In 1950, the ratio of the average executive's paycheck to the average worker's paycheck was about 30 to 1.* Since the year 2000, that*ratio has*exploded to*between 300 to 500 to one.

    #2) A*USA Today analysis of government data has found that paychecks from private business shrank to their smallest share of personal income in U.S. history during the first quarter of 2010.* During the same time period, government benefits (Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, food stamps, etc.)*rose to a record high.*

    #3) According to the United Nations, the United States now*has the highest level of income inequality of all of the highly industrialized nations.

    #4) Four of the biggest banks in the United States*(Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America and Citigroup)*had a "perfect quarter" with zero days of trading losses during the first quarter of 2010.

    #5) According to economists Thomas Piketty and Emmanuel Saez, two-thirds of income increases in the United States between 2002 and 2007 went to the wealthiest 1% of all*Americans.

    #6) 39.68 million Americans*are now on food stamps, which represents a new all-time record.* But things look like they are going to get even worse.* The U.S. Department of Agriculture*is forecasting*that enrollment in the food stamp program will exceed 43 million Americans in 2011.

    #7) For the first time in*U.S. history,*banks own a greater share of residential housing net worth in the United States than all individual Americans put together.

    #8) Over*just one three day period, approximately 10,000 people showed up to apply for just 90 jobs making washing machines in Kentucky for $27,000 a year.

    #9) Executives at many of the*big banks*that received*massive amounts of government bailout money during the*financial crisis*are being lavished with record bonuses*as millions of other*Americans continue to suffer.

    #10) Younger generations of Americans are particularly struggling.* For example, according to*a National Foundation for Credit Counseling survey, only 58% of those in "Generation Y"*pay their monthly bills on time.

    #11) Despite the financial crisis, the number of millionaires in the United States rose a whopping 16 percent to 7.8 million in 2009.

    #12) Over 1.4 million Americans filed for personal bankruptcy in 2009, which represented*a 32 percent increase over 2008.* Not only that, more Americans filed for bankruptcy*in March 2010*than during any month since U.S. bankruptcy law was tightened in October 2005.

    #13) An analysis of income tax data by the Congressional Budget Office a*couple years*ago found that the top 1%*wealthiest households in the United States now*own nearly twice as much of the corporate wealth*as they did just 15 years ago.

    #14) A staggering 43 percent of Americans have less than $10,000 saved up for retirement.

    #15) Once great blue collar manufacturing cities such as Detroit have turned into rusted-out war zones*while corporate executives rake in record bonuses by moving factories to third world nations.

    #16) The bottom 40 percent of*income earners*in the United States now collectively own less than 1 percent*of the nationís wealth.* So what does that say about America when nearly half the people are dividing up just one percent of the pie?

    Full Article Here:

    16 Signs That The Rich Are Getting Richer And The Poor Are Getting Poorer

  3. #43
    Student comedy4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    georgia
    Last Seen
    12-28-12 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    204
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Select all that apply.

    I ask this with the underlying questions being, "What is it about poverty that we should be trying to resolve? Is it more important for those in poverty to organize and demand that their poverty be somehow eradicated...

    ...or is it more important for those in poverty to find ways to feel empowered, fulfilled, and independent, despite their limited means?
    The poor in the USA are so well off that they live the lives of the middle class in other countries. The poor are spoiled and have distain for those that have more than they do.
    They simply donít do what will get them out of poverty. If they have time to organize and demand someone remove them from poverty than they have the time to do it themselves.
    COMEDY 4 ALL! it's a life Philosophy.

    Chuck Norris once got bit by a king cobra. after five days of agonizing pain, the cobra died!

  4. #44
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Select all that apply.

    I ask this with the underlying questions being, "What is it about poverty that we should be trying to resolve? Is it more important for those in poverty to organize and demand that their poverty be somehow eradicated...

    ...or is it more important for those in poverty to find ways to feel empowered, fulfilled, and independent, despite their limited means?

    Do you actually have any evidence of this? The poor a century ago didn't have cars,air conditioning, heating, refrigeration, food stamps, welfare, good public education, cellphones with government life line services,TVs, and many other things.People in other countries must be screaming that is not poor. Your idea of miserable must be different than ours
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #45
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    that is unfortunately incorrect. your self worth, empowerment, and fulfillment come not from what you receive, but what you achieve.
    Yes but it's harder to achieve much of anything if you don't have an education, you're constantly sick, and you're worried about where your next meal is coming from.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,453
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Do you actually have any evidence of this? The poor a century ago didn't have cars,air conditioning, heating, refrigeration, food stamps, welfare, good public education, cellphones with government life line services,TVs, and many other things.People in other countries must be screaming that is not poor. Your idea of miserable must be different than ours
    NOBODY had those things 100 years ago.

    Except heat. EVERYBODY'S had that for a long time.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  7. #47
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    More miserable now than a century ago? Give me a ****ing break. The poor now have it way better than they did in the 19th and early 20th century. They have welfare, food stamps, unemployment, indigent medical care, people who go out of their way to reserve jobs for them, and even rehabilitation. A hundred years ago, the poor were dying in the streets, starving to death, **** like tuberculosis and syphilis were rampant, and if you got hurt on the job, too bad. Even 50 years ago, the poor didn't have it as good as they do now.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,453
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Kind of a trick response, but i think that todays.poor feel left out because si ce about 1980 they have been.

    From the fifties to the eighties, the lowest fifth was actuall seeing their lot improve MORE than the upper 80%.

    For more than thirty years they have stagnated or lost ground.

    They're competing with $2 a day labor in a country with $500 rents.

    So maybe not miserable so much as hopeless. Which i guess could make one miserable.

    And i'm sure there were some at aome point who claimed the poor weren't poor because they had indoor plumbing.

    "Better than elsewhere" is the ultimate slippery slope.

    Its better in Mexico than it is in Somalia. That doesnt mean its great in Mexico.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #49
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Kind of a trick response, but i think that todays.poor feel left out because si ce about 1980 they have been.
    So feeling "left out", in your opinion, somehow makes their lives worse? Left out of what, exactly? They have every opportunity given to them so they can advance, which is something they absolutely did not have a hundred+ years ago.

    They're competing with $2 a day labor in a country with $500 rents.
    Because workforce competition is a new thing. Ever heard of the Irish? Same ****, different century.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  10. #50
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    I question the premise. I seriously doubt that 99%+ of today's poor would be happier if they were magically transported time-wise and became the 1912 version of poor.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •