View Poll Results: Why are today's poor more miserable?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because they don't have all their needs met.

    8 16.67%
  • Because advertising constantly reminds them of what they can't afford.

    16 33.33%
  • Because the rich are too rich!!

    7 14.58%
  • Because they (the poor) no longer farm.

    5 10.42%
  • Because they are no longer needed for manufacturing.

    4 8.33%
  • Because they're packed into cities.

    8 16.67%
  • Because welfare breeds dependence and thus resentment.

    20 41.67%
  • N/A - the poor have always been pretty equally miserable.

    12 25.00%
  • Other (explain)

    15 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 127

Thread: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

  1. #111
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I'm poor and I certainly am not miserable. Just saying...
    Poor by whose standards?? You can afford a computer, a connection service and the idle time to post here. Those are signs of incredible wealth to most of the world.

  2. #112
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    To me the definition of "poor" revolves around television. As a rough definition, I mean, not an absolute. If you have a cable/satellite account, you aren't "poor".

    You may be broke, and I think too many people confuse the differences between "poor" and "broke", but you aren't poor.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by cannuck View Post
    Poor by whose standards?? You can afford a computer, a connection service and the idle time to post here. Those are signs of incredible wealth to most of the world.
    I'm poor by the standards that are in the US. Which is what the thread is about. The US. Not the rest of the world.

    Duh.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #114
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I'm poor by the standards that are in the US. Which is what the thread is about. The US. Not the rest of the world.

    Duh.
    Whose standards in the US? The government's? The same government that has a vested interest in perpetuating their bureaucracy by categorizing people as poor when in fact they may be doing just fine?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Whose standards in the US? The government's? The same government that has a vested interest in perpetuating their bureaucracy by categorizing people as poor when in fact they may be doing just fine?
    How about we just use common sense? My family makes roughly 30k a year. How much does your family make?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #116
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    01-19-14 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    459

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Expectations. It's all about expectations. If you've ever listened to those who grew up during the depression, you know some real poverty stories. My mom used to eat lard-and-bread sandwiches. They ate dandelion greens. They couldn't afford chickens because they didn't have any money to buy feed for them. Couldn't have pigs for the same reason. They had a cow because she could graze on the land, so they had milk and butter. They ate lots of fish they caught in the river . . . a 6-mile walk from home . . . the boys would stay overnight.

    Mom had one dress. One. That was for Sundays. They had no car . . . walked everywhere. Did they know they were poor? That answer would be, "No, they didn't." That was life.

    And now we have politicians telling us that we're poor . . . that the middle class is dwindling . . . that we're entitled to have the wealth spread around. And we pine.
    I think the short answer to the thread is no, they are not more miserable or more impoverished. *

    This is an interesting take on the homeless problem.

    They go on the John Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath Dust Bowl journey.



    US ECONOMIC CRISIS & HIDDEN HOMELESS MIDDLE CLASS USING IMMIGRANT SHELTERS crookreport.co.uk - YouTube

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    I picked because welfare encourages dependence. Of course it does! That is why it should be mandatory that anyone on welfare take job training classes or get grants and go to school. Otherwise, these people are on again/off again welfare recipients throughout their lives. Just giving things to people makes them dependent when you don't offer them options to better themselves IMO.

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What's your evidence that the poor ARE more miserable than a century ago? As far as I know opinion polling didn't really get started until about 1948...and even then, they wouldn't have sliced and diced the demographics like that until much later.
    It angers me that people do make these unprovable to criminally false statements.
    "poor" is such a relative condition - to look at me, many would think that I am poor.....but I am really frugal and cheap...
    What we need here are the words from a true "poor" man....all others should stay out !

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It doesn't appear that this has happened, as a general rule, for the past 40-50 years. You can't give someone money, or meet their basic needs, and then declare that their poverty has disappeared, because much of poverty is a way of thinking and behaving.
    It is true "a fool and his money are soon parted".
    Obviously, we have to work on the fool portion.
    Further, IMO, its intolerance which causes poverty.
    However, in order to properly answer these questions , we need a "poor man" on this forum.

  10. #120
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I picked because welfare encourages dependence. Of course it does! That is why it should be mandatory that anyone on welfare take job training classes or get grants and go to school. Otherwise, these people are on again/off again welfare recipients throughout their lives. Just giving things to people makes them dependent when you don't offer them options to better themselves IMO.
    Again, where is the "poor man" to refute this ?
    I'll try - there are many state programs to this effect, right now.....but do you propose that the poor starve and have rotten teeth when they are trying to "mainstream ?
    And did I mention the concrete wall of intolerance ?
    If we really wish to help the "poor", we had best listen to them....

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •