View Poll Results: Why are today's poor more miserable?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because they don't have all their needs met.

    8 16.67%
  • Because advertising constantly reminds them of what they can't afford.

    16 33.33%
  • Because the rich are too rich!!

    7 14.58%
  • Because they (the poor) no longer farm.

    5 10.42%
  • Because they are no longer needed for manufacturing.

    4 8.33%
  • Because they're packed into cities.

    8 16.67%
  • Because welfare breeds dependence and thus resentment.

    20 41.67%
  • N/A - the poor have always been pretty equally miserable.

    12 25.00%
  • Other (explain)

    15 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 127

Thread: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Expectations. It's all about expectations. If you've ever listened to those who grew up during the depression, you know some real poverty stories. My mom used to eat lard-and-bread sandwiches. They ate dandelion greens. They couldn't afford chickens because they didn't have any money to buy feed for them. Couldn't have pigs for the same reason. They had a cow because she could graze on the land, so they had milk and butter. They ate lots of fish they caught in the river . . . a 6-mile walk from home . . . the boys would stay overnight.

    Mom had one dress. One. That was for Sundays. They had no car . . . walked everywhere. Did they know they were poor? That answer would be, "No, they didn't." That was life.

    And now we have politicians telling us that we're poor . . . that the middle class is dwindling . . . that we're entitled to have the wealth spread around. And we pine.
    Maggie- I was with you til the last sentence. We live in a consumer driven capitalist society that is summed up with 'new and improved'. NO politician is driving the Apple phone frenzy. NO politician is demands 12 cup holders in a mommy mobile. What politician ran on a platform of 52" plasma or bust?

    Our system runs on consumers wanting past the basic need to excess, be it electricity, gas guzzlers, new Iphones... the biggest flaw in the system is money is being concentrated out of the reach of the consumers until the system can no longer support itself.

    It isn't political, it is economic.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    I'm thinking the poor of a century ago were more miserable.. and worse off.. than today.

  3. #103
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Maggie- I was with you til the last sentence. We live in a consumer driven capitalist society that is summed up with 'new and improved'. NO politician is driving the Apple phone frenzy. NO politician is demands 12 cup holders in a mommy mobile. What politician ran on a platform of 52" plasma or bust?

    Our system runs on consumers wanting past the basic need to excess, be it electricity, gas guzzlers, new Iphones... the biggest flaw in the system is money is being concentrated out of the reach of the consumers until the system can no longer support itself.

    It isn't political, it is economic.
    I think it's both. Politicians are pandering for our votes by reassuring us that our perceived shortcomings are not our fault, and filling people with the misguided notion that they can fix it. The media (read: advertising & marketing, primarily) is coming at people from the opposite side and doing what you say.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    I don't see politicians as the crucial part in the mix. One man's pandering politician is another listen to the people.

    Lest we forget the lobbyists and 'job creators' who tug on a politician's ear and line re-election pockets.

    Politicians around the world tell the people 'we are the greatest nation on the planet', 'restore our grandeur', 'gain our place in the sun'... whatever.

    Politicians mold themselves to the economic system.

    Many politicians around the world promise a chicken in every pot, Hoover in 1928 threw in a car in every garage.

    Not because 1928 voters needed that much pandering but rather the 1928 economy needed consumers to keep borrowing and spending.

    Change the economic system and the politicians change as well, but to blame politicians for putting silly thoughts in the voter's heads- THAT is so trite it really needs to be retired.

  5. #105
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I don't see politicians as the crucial part in the mix. One man's pandering politician is another listen to the people.

    Lest we forget the lobbyists and 'job creators' who tug on a politician's ear and line re-election pockets.

    Politicians around the world tell the people 'we are the greatest nation on the planet', 'restore our grandeur', 'gain our place in the sun'... whatever.

    Politicians mold themselves to the economic system.

    Many politicians around the world promise a chicken in every pot, Hoover in 1928 threw in a car in every garage.

    Not because 1928 voters needed that much pandering but rather the 1928 economy needed consumers to keep borrowing and spending.

    Change the economic system and the politicians change as well, but to blame politicians for putting silly thoughts in the voter's heads- THAT is so trite it really needs to be retired.
    You clearly underestimate the power of suggestion.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #106
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Oh it isn't all THAT clear, at least when it comes to politicians vs consumer/capitalist fundamentals.

    Ask 50 people you meet tomorrow to finish a few advertising jingles, what new apps they are thinking of getting, the difference between two soft drinks-

    THEN ask them to name their state rep, House of Rep member in DC, a line or two from either on anything, more than a line or two from their favorite political speech...

    Then ask them for a line or two from their favorite movie.

    I believe I clearly understand the power of suggestion-

    Just suggest politicians lack much power with it.

    politicians do gain from good brand identification, snappy logo, zinger of a catch phrase, but that is pure consumer/capitalism at work...

    Have a Coke and a smile....

  7. #107
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    how does one define "miserable" in the sense that this question is asked? Are we asking about how people feel or are we asking about poverty relative to others? Having had no power for a week because of a storm pretty much sucked for me and I have stayed on vacation someplace where we had to use an outhouse for several days because heavy rains had saturated the septic system. Nothing like living like someone from 1912 to appreciate how awesome the simple things are today.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    I watched an interesting movie on Netflix called, "Happy."
    Made me think about this thread.

    Assuming the information the researchers presented is accurate, they said that 50% of happiness is genetic, 10% is material and 40% is purposeful life actions.
    It also did some contrasts that showed how a person living in a shanty town is happy, yet the average American (who is many times more wealthy) is less happy.

    Quite interesting and thought provoking stuff.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #109
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Expectations. It's all about expectations. If you've ever listened to those who grew up during the depression, you know some real poverty stories. My mom used to eat lard-and-bread sandwiches. They ate dandelion greens. They couldn't afford chickens because they didn't have any money to buy feed for them. Couldn't have pigs for the same reason. They had a cow because she could graze on the land, so they had milk and butter. They ate lots of fish they caught in the river . . . a 6-mile walk from home . . . the boys would stay overnight.

    Mom had one dress. One. That was for Sundays. They had no car . . . walked everywhere. Did they know they were poor? That answer would be, "No, they didn't." That was life.

    And now we have politicians telling us that we're poor . . . that the middle class is dwindling . . . that we're entitled to have the wealth spread around. And we pine.
    Another thing that Happiness movie identified was that people who were thankful for what they have, were more happy.
    Regardless of the amount of what they have.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #110
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why are today's poor (U.S.) more miserable than a century + ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Select all that apply.

    I ask this with the underlying questions being, "What is it about poverty that we should be trying to resolve? Is it more important for those in poverty to organize and demand that their poverty be somehow eradicated...

    ...or is it more important for those in poverty to find ways to feel empowered, fulfilled, and independent, despite their limited means?
    I'm poor and I certainly am not miserable. Just saying...
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •