View Poll Results: Which issue was/is more important for Barack Obama to have tackled first?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • the Economy

    21 77.78%
  • Killing Bin Laden

    1 3.70%
  • He did both and did a great job.

    5 18.52%
  • I have no idea what's going on. don't care. I jus like the man. 4 more years!.

    0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-30-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    428

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Why don't you ask the survivors of the 9/11 victims if they feel the money was wasted?
    Depends on who you ask.

  2. #12
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
    So you are content in your mind that it was BETTER for us to spend millions if not billions tracking down and killing OBL vs. using that same money to kickstart our Economy??

    WOW!!!!

    Now I can truly understand the Nany State mentality.
    I think tess was pretty clear that accomplishing one had little impact on the other.

    Our economic pictures is far more important to me than whether Osama bin Laden is in hiding but it's not like our economy was compromised because our intelligence and military community was doing other stuff too.

  3. #13
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
    You know what, I would rather spend my money fixing up my classic car, then to go jump into a $85,000 car note.

    think about that.

    Killing OBL really did nothing for us. we are no safer than we were before he was supposedly killed. do you agree?

    Just look at the recent Embassy bombing.

    Obama wasted our money.
    I'm not even sure what you're advocating for at this point.

    Virtually all of the investment was undertaken by Pres. Bush but it's not like we made the investment to to find Osama bin Laden and only Osama bid Laden. We set up a worldwide intelligence network and that network was able to locate Osama bin Laden. Failing to act would have been irresponsible.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
    Do you also believe that tracking down OBL was necessary, say like, after the economy was back on track?
    I think that once he was isolated and his effectiveness to act was removed, that killing him was no longer a priority or should it have been. The War in Afghanistan was never totally about getting OBL, it was about undercutting support and removing bases of operations for Al Queda, and the War on Terror in general was about removing that from other terrorist organizations, not just about AQ. Further, while many consider the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to have been a waste of money, consider that without them having open bases to train in and that they now expend so much of their resources there instead of attacking us directly, then both were a success in diverting greater danger away from our borders. We all hate to see the reports of dead military members over there, but it is the military's job to be the shield between those that would attack us and our civilians. If anyone is going to attack us, the military should be the target, it's part of their job. Every gun, bomb or suicide bomber that they use there is one less that they could be using in our malls, shopping centers, schools or other civilian targets inside the US.

    If we didn't spend money to keep the attacks focused there and on our military, but instead they were freer to attack our civilians and business, what affect would that have had on the economy? People want to constantly bring up the costs of the war, but never consider what the cost to us may be if we didn't have them. This whole concept that if we left them alone, they would leave us alone fails because we did leave them alone before and they attacked and blew up embassies, bombed a US Naval Vessel, and finally carried out the 9/11 attacks.

    Also, the government can rarely directly control the economy, efforts to do so will only cause greater economic distress. To affect the economy, the government should focus on making the business environment in America competitive and workable instead of hamstringing it. I did not disagree with Obama's concept of his stimulus, only how he went about it. He would of had much greater success if he had had the government directly hire the unemployed to work on projects. Instead of welfare, put those people to work, use the money currently going to welfare to fund it initially. If properly structured, we could have a almost self sustaining program instead of the burdensome mess that is welfare in America today and our economy would be a hell of a lot better off because of it.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  5. #15
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    The economy, but the fact the current economy isn't exactly "good" doesn't mean I will vote for Romney. The question there is who will do a better job? Some believe that's Romney. Some believe that's Obama. I kind of laugh at bumper stickers that say things like "Anyone but Obama 2012!" - always tempted to walk up to them and start up a conversation. "I saw your bumper sticker, I couldn't agree with you more! We have had too much Obama! Have you looked into Jill Stein?" (No, I'm not voting for Stein, just that most people that dislike Obama would really dislike Stein.)

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    First off... which is more important?

    The economy, hands down. In terms of management and operation... if you consider the war on terror as a direct result of 9/11, which it is.. then the US spent 4 trils over the course of a decade in killing al qaeda to get to bin laden. This is a one-dimensional view but I will keep it that way to avoid talking about other reasons why the US would go into the ME. For now.. we stick to a simple mentality. Osama spent what? 10.000k $ to take down the twin towers... and the US spent 4tril because of that in trying to kill him. I would think that although he was killed... he accomplished what he wanted. Osama's mission statement was to get the US bogged down in the Middle East, in endless expensive wars and he did it from day 1. the US governments (both bush and obama) mission was to end the war on terror... one of those objectives, is killing Osama. So one objective done... the mission still remains. If Obama would have managed to end the War on Terror (one way or another)... then indeed, that could be considered as important than the economy. Otherwise... its just peanuts that carry a big sentimental value. But peanuts non-the-less.

    In terms of the economy. Real unemployment+underemployment+discouraged workers is about 23%.. with unemployment a little under half of that. Where did he start from?

    Alternate Unemployment Charts

    I know it may seem like a shady site, but I checked some of the data by looking directly at bls.gov and searching... and from what I've seen, it's pretty accurate.
    If you look at the chart, Obama in 09 started at about 16%... raised to 21% by 2010 and stayed around that area till today. This is why people think of it as an failure. Obama supporters may consider it a success because of... something. Maybe because in the past few months unemployment went down along with underemployment... but we see a hike in discouraged workers... which can be justified by saying that the reason Obama managed to shave a few points off unemployment is because there are a bunch of people out there who dropped off the charts... stopped receiving unemployment benefits because their terms expired and didn't manage to get any job what so ever. I am not that's the entire reason. I'm sure unemployment dropped also because jobs were created... but also because some people dropped off the charts. This is what the statistic shows.


    In other words.. the economy is more important than anything because w/o it you cannot have social programs, abortions, healthcare, wars, gay marriage or anything. If people don't have money and don't have a way to earn money.

  7. #17
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Obama didn't focus on getting osama, the CIA did. Obama did focus on the economy and that is the problem, he has been like a little boy with a magnifying glass focusing on ants to burn them up and he has achieved the same result.
    Actually....Obama TRIED to focus on the economy much more than he was able to....but if you go back and look at his first year, it was the "Party of NO" that rejected and blocked every effort he made to do so. If he hadn't been obstructed at every level, the economy would have rebounded more than it has. That said....we have now had 40 interrupted months of job growth. The stock markets have doubled since Obama took office and we are on the right path. That certainly beats the hundreds of thousands of jobs which we were hemorraghing when Obama took office, at least in my opinion
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-30-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    428

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    Our economic pictures is far more important to me than whether Osama bin Laden is in hiding but it's not like our economy was compromised because our intelligence and military community was doing other stuff too.
    How can you say that? It compromised OUR TAX DOLLARS.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-30-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    428

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    I'm not even sure what you're advocating for at this point.

    Virtually all of the investment was undertaken by Pres. Bush but it's not like we made the investment to to find Osama bin Laden and only Osama bid Laden. We set up a worldwide intelligence network and that network was able to locate Osama bin Laden. Failing to act would have been irresponsible.
    YOu mean all of the investment was untaken by our tax dollars, right? ^that must've been a fruedian slip.

  10. #20
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Economy vs. Killing Bin Laden: Which wa/is more important?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
    How can you say that? It compromised OUR TAX DOLLARS.
    I don't even know what that means but you seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing with everyone at this point.

    You're not worth my time and I'm adding you to Ignore.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •