View Poll Results: Is the republican party dead?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it has been for some time.

    3 7.32%
  • Yes, it will be all in good time.

    7 17.07%
  • No, it is just going through a rough patch right now.

    15 36.59%
  • No, it is doing just fine.

    16 39.02%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 95

Thread: End of the Republican Party?

  1. #71
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,069

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    What, the liberal's "fuddy duddy" President? The one that liberals thought wasn't doing enough to stop McCarthy, not being liberal enough to further FDR's goals?

    Yeah, I'll believe that.

    Contemporary liberals found a decent man in Eisenhower because of a couple of his speeches (one of which coincidentally coincides with ahistorical commentary about the War in Iraq, wink wink nudge nudge). It's a disingenuous crock to make us think they would have gunned for a man like Ike in their ranks. It's presentist nonsense with all of the cherry picking you could dream of.
    Dwight Eisenhower = Joe Lieberman. Conservatives disliked Ike's Presidency because he ensconced the New Deal in the political center.

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Perhaps the fact that there was a Democratic House and Senate during Bush's second term has something to do with that disaster?
    So, I guess that some of the blame for what you see as Obama's failure must be laid at the door of a 50-seat GOP majority in the House, right?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #73
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    And they're not now. I really wish people like you would stop telling other what it means to be a "real" conservative, especially when you do nothing but bash us now. That drives me more nuts than the most ardent partisan hackery.
    Stop with the misplaced indignation, what you call bashing I call my opinion. I disagree with the entire teaparty induced far right agenda.
    I disagree completely with this notion that its Govt Workers and Social Security and Medicare that has created all this debt and the way to fix it all
    is to destroy medicare through vouchers, lessen social security and raise the age for future generations and Cut the pay and benefits for all govt and public workers and to give TAX CUTS AGAIN to only the richest americans and corporations.
    Now if you consider my disagreement with the far rights means to fix the countries malais thats fine and if you really have a need to call it bashing...shrug, then go for it...

  4. #74
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    I think if Mitt Romney doesn't win in November, it'll be a while before the GOP wins the White House again. The reason is the demographic trends in America favor the democrats. Younger voters coming of age, a growing Latino population and the rising influence of women voters all help the Democrats. Some suspect that in four years Texas will be a swing state for example.

    What the Republicans are good at, and there's probably nobody better, is speaking to people who are already voting Republican, intensifying their support for the GOP and more so their opposition to the Democrats. However, no matter the level of intensity you have, everybody still just gets one vote. What we are not good at is reaching out to people who weren't going to vote Republican and persuading them the consider us instead. This is because the very tactics used heretofore to rally the existing GOP supporters offends and pushes away those needed to grow the party's support not in terms of the existing supporters' passion but in terms of more voters. These methods even push away some Republicans. This leaves the GOP to rely heavily upon voter turnout dynamics to win as opposed to popular support. Case in point: pretty much the only poll indicating Romney has a shot at winning in November uses a methodology that weeds out poll respondents based on if they voted in the 2010 Tea Party takeover of the House where angry Republicans made history and came out in droves while more democrats stayed home and calling that polling sample the "likely voters" of 2012.

    The GOP will be around but in control mostly in state and local levels, that is until the GOP reinvents itself.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  5. #75
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    01-19-14 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    459

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    It seems as though this party hasn't had a legitimate candidate for presidency since Bush Sr.

    You've had Bob Dole, Bush Jr. and now Romney. If these are the best the republican party can come up with, it seems to me it is on its deathbed.
    I don't think they're really dying, the frontman is not always that important, look at the appalling speech skills of Bush. They won't get in this time, next try maybe. But tact and talent have been in short supply.

    As Deepthroat said 'follow the money'

    The financial sector giants are throwing alot of money at the Republican party, unfortunately for the party the incompetent speech by Clint Eastwood and the 47% remark by Romney at this stage leaves it for them to be unlikely to make much ground in the election. Unless Obama has a disaster, it's not going to happen.

    If you want to know who's telling the candidates what they'll be doing look at whose bankrolling them:
    http://img.metro.co.uk/news_focus/USelections.png

    When it comes to funding Ron Paul is quite interesting to look at.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    So, I guess that some of the blame for what you see as Obama's failure must be laid at the door of a 50-seat GOP majority in the House, right?
    Perhaps you should read the rest of the thread before you comment. Then you'll know what I'm talking about...during which there wasn't a 50 seat GOP majority.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  7. #77
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    Political parties never really die. Even in the rare cases that the brand dies, the voters will just migrate to some other brand. However, I think that the current incarnation of the GOP - which has alienated the vast majority of nonwhite voters - is a political loser in the long term. I predict that the Republican Party will eventually come to terms with this and moderate some of its views (especially on racially charged issues), thus ensuring its own survival.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #78
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Political parties never really die. Even in the rare cases that the brand dies, the voters will just migrate to some other brand. However, I think that the current incarnation of the GOP - which has alienated the vast majority of nonwhite voters - is a political loser in the long term. I predict that the Republican Party will eventually come to terms with this and moderate some of its views (especially on racially charged issues), thus ensuring its own survival.
    We're trying but a little clumsy at it. On one hand you have serious efforts to reach blacks and Latinos at official levels. Then you have the selection Michael Steele, the first RNC black Chairman publicly slammed by the most visible Republican voices as unqualified to lead and only given the job because he's black FROM DAY ONE before he even had the opportunity to serve followed by a drop in GOP donations. This as well as others such as the AZ catch and release Hispanics law, etc. Ironic being the GOP was founded in large part to end racial discrimination in America and to stand up to the then racist Democrats who even operated their own terrorism wing.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #79
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    What, the liberal's "fuddy duddy" President? The one that liberals thought wasn't doing enough to stop McCarthy, not being liberal enough to further FDR's goals?

    Yeah, I'll believe that.

    Contemporary liberals found a decent man in Eisenhower because of a couple of his speeches (one of which coincidentally coincides with ahistorical commentary about the War in Iraq, wink wink nudge nudge). It's a disingenuous crock to make us think they would have gunned for a man like Ike in their ranks. It's presentist nonsense with all of the cherry picking you could dream of.
    are you seriously taking my quote and applying it to what all liberals think or could you for just one moment assume that maybe I am not like all liberals? I was stating what "I" would be, not what the rest of the liberals out there would be.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  10. #80
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: End of the Republican Party?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    It seems as though this party hasn't had a legitimate candidate for presidency since Bush Sr.

    You've had Bob Dole, Bush Jr. and now Romney. If these are the best the republican party can come up with, it seems to me it is on its deathbed.
    Just wishful thinking by a Liberal.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •