View Poll Results: Is polling skewed?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 78.13%
  • No

    5 15.63%
  • I don't know/other

    2 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Is polling skewed?

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,191

    Is polling skewed?

    As happens every election, there have been accusations lately that the polling for the Presidential election has been skewed toward Obama. I saw a website recently pop up claiming the real values for the latest polling, all of them showing a large Romney lead. UnSkewed Polls -- erasing the bias to show an accurate picture of politics Much of the complaints have been due to the Party affiliation numbers that polls have been putting up, most of them showing a larger Democratic affiliation than there actually is.

    So what do you think? Is polling in general being purposely skewed one way to drive an agenda?
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  2. #2
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is polling skewed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    As happens every election, there have been accusations lately that the polling for the Presidential election has been skewed toward Obama. I saw a website recently pop up claiming the real values for the latest polling, all of them showing a large Romney lead. UnSkewed Polls -- erasing the bias to show an accurate picture of politics Much of the complaints have been due to the Party affiliation numbers that polls have been putting up, most of them showing a larger Democratic affiliation than there actually is.

    So what do you think? Is polling in general being purposely skewed one way to drive an agenda?
    Depends how they do the polling. Land line heavy tends to lean Republican. And how they get cell phone numbers for polling is something I'd like to know.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,191

    Re: Is polling skewed?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Depends how they do the polling. Land line heavy tends to lean Republican. And how they get cell phone numbers for polling is something I'd like to know.
    Most cellphone pollsters use Random Digit Dialers to reach them.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  4. #4
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is polling skewed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Most cellphone pollsters use Random Digit Dialers to reach them.
    Where did you hear that from? Furthermore, how do you ensure a proper geographical sample? Especially in this day and age where area code doesn't mean anything.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,191

    Re: Is polling skewed?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Where did you hear that from? Furthermore, how do you ensure a proper geographical sample? Especially in this day and age where area code doesn't mean anything.
    That's just what PPP and AP-GFK write about their methodology. I assume that's how most of the others do it. As for the Geographic sample, I think they ask in the questions where they live if they weight for geography.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  6. #6
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is polling skewed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    That's just what PPP and AP-GFK write about their methodology. I assume that's how most of the others do it. As for the Geographic sample, I think they ask in the questions where they live if they weight for geography.
    Got a link? Seems like a poor way of polling. Especially given the required time frames.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #7
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Is polling skewed?

    I say yes most polls are...

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,191
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  9. #9
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Is polling skewed?

    This poll is totally skewed.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,191

    Re: Is polling skewed?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I say yes most polls are...
    Care to elaborate? Which way are they slanted and why do you think so?
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •