View Poll Results: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate without conceding your entire point-of-

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 95.00%
  • No

    1 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate without conceding your entire point-of-view?

    This one is a pretty straight forward question with only a 'yes' or 'no' answer possible..
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    I do it all the time.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #3
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate without conceding your entire point-of-view?

    This one is a pretty straight forward question with only a 'yes' or 'no' answer possible..
    if one is honest, logical, and objective of course it is.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #4
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    No. Your point of view should be malleable to new evidence. You concede a point, you adapt your point of view. Hence the latter changes.

  5. #5
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    No. Your point of view should be malleable to new evidence. You concede a point, you adapt your point of view. Hence the latter changes.
    Not usually. A point of view is also a larger perspective, which need not be sacrificed each time a smaller point of contention occurs. If I am for gay marriage, and one of my reasons for why it should exist is somehow eroded by evidence, I needn't strike my support for gay marriage because of it.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #6
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Not usually. A point of view is also a larger perspective, which need not be sacrificed each time a smaller point of contention occurs. If I am for gay marriage, and one of my reasons for why it should exist is somehow eroded by evidence, I needn't strike my support for gay marriage because of it.
    A sort of irreducible complexity here. Because no label exists to support your new political viewpoint on account of new evidence you have no way to describe the fact you have a new viewpoint. You are among many others who support gay marriage but with a completely different viewpoint depending on whether you accepted the new "evidence". The label may not exist, but with new evidence you have become entirely unique from the person beforehand.

  7. #7
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    I don't see why not, theoretically at least. If your arguments supporting your position are A, B and C but you concede that B is not correct or doesn't actually support your position, you still have A and C.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate without conceding your entire point-of-view?

    This one is a pretty straight forward question with only a 'yes' or 'no' answer possible..
    Of course.




    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #9
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate without conceding your entire point-of-view?

    This one is a pretty straight forward question with only a 'yes' or 'no' answer possible..

    I concede aspects of my point of view all the time....that doesnt make me change my perspective in its entirely...

  10. #10
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Political debate: Is it possible to concede a point in a debate without conceding your entire point-of-view?

    This one is a pretty straight forward question with only a 'yes' or 'no' answer possible..
    Why wouldn't it be?

    My 'point of view' isn't based on just one point - and sometimes it might just enhance my view rather than detract from it
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •