View Poll Results: When would the financial crisis end?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • In a few years

    10 25.64%
  • 21 December, 2012

    6 15.38%
  • Up to 5 years

    5 12.82%
  • Up to 10 years

    7 17.95%
  • When we blow ourselves to kingdom come

    1 2.56%
  • Not in our lifetime

    5 12.82%
  • Somewhere over the rainbow

    5 12.82%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61

Thread: End of the financial crisis?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    high debt reduces growth and instability.
    I understand that, but at the moment I'm not worried.
    Maybe later, either way though, I have no control over it.

    If it happens, hopefully I'll be prepared.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    hence the housing market will limp along for years, never really recovering.

    which is fine with me, i intend to buy a house here in about 3 years. it just sort of sucks for the other 300 million Americans.
    You should come and see the real estate prices in Europe, it will knock your socks off. Debt is just starting to go wild - the GIPSI countries, the euro is wobling, half of Spain's youth is unemployed...

    Hm, I can see a pattern here:

    financial crisis in America (1929) -> several million unemployed and unhappy in Germany -> Comrade Hitler comes to power -> WW2

    financial crisis in America (2008) -> hoards of unemployed in Europe -> ..............................

    History repeating itself, I presume?

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I understand that, but at the moment I'm not worried.
    Maybe later, either way though, I have no control over it.

    If it happens, hopefully I'll be prepared.
    I would be concerned. High debt is a problem. You can inflate yourself out of it, but then the you need high inflation which is very damaging to an economy since it causes capital flight, and makes investors even less interested in buying american treasuries.

    Remember that Greece had a debt level of about 120% before the crisis if I remember correctly. US is already at 100%.

  4. #14
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,073

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    You should come and see the real estate prices in Europe, it will knock your socks off. Debt is just starting to go wild - the GIPSI countries, the euro is wobling, half of Spain's youth is unemployed...

    Hm, I can see a pattern here:

    financial crisis in America (1929) -> several million unemployed and unhappy in Germany -> Comrade Hitler comes to power -> WW2

    financial crisis in America (2008) -> hoards of unemployed in Europe -> ..............................

    History repeating itself, I presume?
    Nah. That can only happen if the Germans become convinced that they are being drained by a Europe that is out to get them and.....


    ...oh ****.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Nah. That can only happen if the Germans become convinced that they are being drained by a Europe that is out to get them and.....
    BBC News - German court backs eurozone's ESM bailout fund:

    Critics had argued that the ESM commits Germany to potentially unlimited funding of debt-ridden eurozone states.
    Does that count?

  6. #16
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    The debt spiral is permanent until collapse. Many factors prevent collapse, including the fact that holders of our Treasury bonds must protect their own interests by preventing that collapse. That would be China, India, and Japan because they hold about $4 trillion of our debt. When the Fed has to buy the bonds, it means we have saturated the overseas market and they don't want anymore of our debt. Eventually, it would seem that the Fed would file bankruptcy because of the excess of debt and lack of true liquidity. Now, that must be OK because the FED is the Federal Reserve CORPORATION and a corporation has stockholders and they will just lose the value of their stocks and the US Treasury will issue US National notes and badmouth that no-good Federal Reserve Corporation as bad money managers. Of course, it could cause a war, but that's good for business and "what's good for business is good for America." I don't know who originally made that statement.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    Economies have cycles and we will eventually hit bottom and start back up but obama has hobbled us with a staggering debt that is going to make the recovery slow and may just stifle it all together. It's like when you see people with a huge credit card debt trying to get their lives together, it takes a very long time to crawl out of that hole.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    I would be concerned. High debt is a problem. You can inflate yourself out of it, but then the you need high inflation which is very damaging to an economy since it causes capital flight, and makes investors even less interested in buying american treasuries.

    Remember that Greece had a debt level of about 120% before the crisis if I remember correctly. US is already at 100%.
    Ya but Greece and the U.S. are two very different places.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #19
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    I don't see an end to the economic problem in America until American incomes drop and overseas incomes rise to such levels as our labor costs are competitive in the global job market. Twenty years years ago Ross Perot predicted we would be in this mess Barack Obama caused. Giant Sucking Sound - Ross Perot 1992 Presidential Debate.flv - YouTube

    Possible short cuts that I doubt will ever take place:

    - Improve of educational outcomes so that America's young people will be better qualified to hold the higher paying jobs in scientific and technology innovations of the 21st century.

    - Revamp Social Security so that average Americans will own significant indexed stock portfolios en masse placing all average Americans in the same situation as the world's wealthy.

    - Converting ownership of oil and natural gas on federally owned land to the American people. If an energy companies want it, they cuts license checks to each American instead of the federal government. I think this concept is already done to some degree in Alaska.

    - Significantly more people pursuing careers as business owners rather than employees.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #20
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: End of the financial crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I don't see an end to the economic problem in America until American incomes drop and overseas incomes rise to such levels as our labor costs are competitive in the global job market. Twenty years years ago Ross Perot predicted we would be in this mess Barack Obama caused. Giant Sucking Sound - Ross Perot 1992 Presidential Debate.flv - YouTube

    I believe the scapegoat you are looking for is NAFTA.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •