View Poll Results: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 3.20%
  • No

    209 95.43%
  • I don't know.

    3 1.37%
Page 41 of 72 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 720

Thread: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

  1. #401
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It's on the public Internet. I don't see a meaningful distinction there.
    Someone must pay to access the internet. No payment is required for access to public airwaves. There's your difference.

  2. #402
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Someone must pay to access the internet. No payment is required for access to public airwaves. There's your difference.
    No pay is required to access public airwaves? What are they piped into your brain? Or are you forgetting you need to purchase a TV?

  3. #403
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No pay is required to access public airwaves? What are they piped into your brain? Or are you forgetting you need to purchase a TV?
    Are you being intentionally obtuse? When you acquire a TV, you have access to public airwaves free of charge. When you acquire a computer, do you have the internet free of charge (for ever and ever)?

  4. #404
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Since the movie in question mocked a dead warlord, is there anything inherent to this particular warlord that demands respect vs any other warlord?
    This isn't a question about whether Muhammad was a warlord. You could call the Christian God and many other God systems the same thing. It's a matter of respecting other people's beliefs. If someone were to tell me unicorns are real and it helps them sleep at night, I might think they're off their rocker, but I certainly wouldn't be disrespectful about it. If the maker of the movie had any respect, he wouldn't have made the movie, let alone lie to the actors in the film and voice over their original parts.

    Again, it boils down to common sense. You don't make a movie like that and release it publicly knowing that it will cause violent outrage. It's a thin line to walk, I admit that. But you have to ask yourself, at what point does it stop being art? We don't consider child porn as art. We don't consider racial violence videos as art. We shouldn't consider this art either.
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  5. #405
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Someone must pay to access the internet. No payment is required for access to public airwaves. There's your difference.
    In either case, the payment is the annoying advertisements.
    Nothing is "free".
    I do not think "money" is a factor.

  6. #406
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by helix2048 View Post
    This isn't a question about whether Muhammad was a warlord. You could call the Christian God and many other God systems the same thing. It's a matter of respecting other people's beliefs. If someone were to tell me unicorns are real and it helps them sleep at night, I might think they're off their rocker, but I certainly wouldn't be disrespectful about it. If the maker of the movie had any respect, he wouldn't have made the movie, let alone lie to the actors in the film and voice over their original parts.

    Again, it boils down to common sense. You don't make a movie like that and release it publicly knowing that it will cause violent outrage. It's a thin line to walk, I admit that. But you have to ask yourself, at what point does it stop being art? We don't consider child porn as art. We don't consider racial violence videos as art. We shouldn't consider this art either.
    Well stated.
    Common sense is not "common" with all men.....and neither is respect....a shame....

  7. #407
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Are you being intentionally obtuse? When you acquire a TV, you have access to public airwaves free of charge. When you acquire a computer, do you have the internet free of charge (for ever and ever)?
    How does who you pay for access to a medium play any role in deciding whether the medium itself and it's content can be censored?

    You argument is unsound all on its own. In pointing out that TV is also paid for I am pointing out that your argument is also logically invalid.

  8. #408
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You argument is unsound all on its own. In pointing out that TV is also paid for I am pointing out that your argument is also logically invalid.
    No, your argument is BS. Needing electrical equipment is a given. Needing to pay for access is the difference.

    You asked for a difference, there it is - plain and obvious. Are you still going to claim that there is NO difference?

  9. #409
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    No, your argument is BS. Needing electrical equipment is a given. Needing to pay for access is the difference.

    You asked for a difference, there it is - plain and obvious. Are you still going to claim that there is NO difference?
    Needing to pay for access makes no meaningful difference. Even if it did, it is possible to access the net for free at libraries and public computers. YouTube is free. The fact that Internet requires a subscription is no different from cabl, which is also censored.

    Your distinction is neither a real distinction nor, should we grant a distinction arguendo, is the distinction a meaningful one.

  10. #410
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    He DID translate it into Arabic. What did he think was going to happen? They'd all become Christians?

    This thread shows the inability of the right to get past simplistic jingoism. Did anybody think this wouldn't happen? The simmering rage of Islam that you all are telling us about...well, he poured gasoline on it...Hello?
    So cancel the 1st Amendment?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 41 of 72 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •