View Poll Results: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 3.20%
  • No

    209 95.43%
  • I don't know.

    3 1.37%
Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 720

Thread: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

  1. #311
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Should America restrict its free speech to stop hate speech etc, yes. People have proven throughout World and American history that they are too stupid to be able to handle absolute free speech.

    Will America restrict it, no. End of discussion really
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  2. #312
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Should America restrict its free speech to stop hate speech etc, yes. People have proven throughout World and American history that they are too stupid to be able to handle absolute free speech.

    Will America restrict it, no. End of discussion really
    There are parameters around Freedom of Speech. There are also parameters around criminal behavior when objecting to that speech. It is up to the authorities to enforce the law to maintain the peace. Americans should not be punished because various people cannot control themselves and wreak havoc on society.

  3. #313
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    There are parameters around Freedom of Speech. There are also parameters around criminal behavior when objecting to that speech. It is up to the authorities to enforce the law to maintain the peace. Americans should not be punished because various people cannot control themselves and wreak havoc on society.
    its just not something I can ever get my head around, its a system that protects groups like the KKK and allows people to preach hate against a minority etc. I'm all for free speech but in moderation, I personally dont believe the human race can be trusted with complete free speech.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  4. #314
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    People have proven throughout World and American history that they are too stupid to be able to handle absolute free speech.
    You just said something bad about a group of people. That sure looks like hate speech to me.

    It is time for Higgins to go to jail, now.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    But it's not for the benefit of terrorist foreigners, its for the benefit of our soldiers and diplomats, and US tourists traveling overseas.

    The insulting hackery of this thread is the "appeasing muslims" strawman argument. Nobody on the left has any desire to appease muslims, only to safeguard American lives and American interests abroad.
    We can best safeguard American lives and interests abroad by spreading the concept of freedom, defended even at the cost of American lives. We would INVITE attacks on Americans and their interests if we undertook a program of appeasement, muzzling every type of speech Muslims in the ME might find offensive.

    And personally, I see nothing especially "leftist" about advocating against freedom of speech.

  6. #316
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    its just not something I can ever get my head around, its a system that protects groups like the KKK and allows people to preach hate against a minority etc. I'm all for free speech but in moderation, I personally dont believe the human race can be trusted with complete free speech.
    I understand that, but, that freedom of speech is one of the reasons the US and other like countries have been able to make advancements sociologically, in medicine and technology in how we as human beings. To abridge those freedoms would be to stunt the grow of a democratic society stands for. The people or groups that commit mayhem and murder because of words or ideals they do not like cannot dictate to a sovereign nation. such as the US. An effective protest can bring about change two examples in the US are the Vietnam protests and Civil Rights marches, those are example of freedom of Speech in action.

    There are limitations to freedom of Speech, there is no such thing as complete free speech as far as I know.

  7. #317
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    You just said something bad about a group of people. That sure looks like hate speech to me.

    It is time for Higgins to go to jail, now.
    well no you can say bad things about people in other countries you just cant incite hate which is what of course this video did. Should the Muslims reacted differently to the video? Of course they should of. Should that video have been allowed to be made? No it shouldn't.
    Im not going to push this issue far because I now how important complete free speech is in the US and your nvr going to agree with me, which is fair enough.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  8. #318
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    That is what I thought when I read the title.


    Of course not what kind of question is this?
    Tell you what, I'll run my next poll idea through you first to see if it meets with your approval.

  9. #319
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Tell you what, I'll run my next poll idea through you first to see if it meets with your approval.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....................it is just an absurd concept that these fringe lunatics make demands that any democratic society change their ways because they will get mad if they hear something they do not like.....

  10. #320
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    well no you can say bad things about people in other countries you just cant incite hate which is what of course this video did. Should the Muslims reacted differently to the video? Of course they should of. Should that video have been allowed to be made? No it shouldn't.
    Im not going to push this issue far because I now how important complete free speech is in the US and your nvr going to agree with me, which is fair enough.
    The movie was about the life of a historical figure (or "an" historical figure if I wish to satisfy all dictates). As such, the reaction is entirely up to those who reacted, who were not maligned directly.

    What so many of you fail to understand is that the adoption of an ideology is completely a matter of choice. Sure, hundreds of millions of Muslims DO NOT see it as choice, which is part and parcel of the problem we are dealing with in regards to their totalitarianism, but the fact remains that there is an enormous difference between expressing disgust with an ideology freely chosen and hate speech directed against people for those matters beyond their control. Just because you cannot understand this distinction, that doesn't mean others can't.
    Last edited by Gardener; 09-19-12 at 12:38 AM.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •