View Poll Results: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 3.20%
  • No

    209 95.43%
  • I don't know.

    3 1.37%
Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 720

Thread: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

  1. #281
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    We are judging this by our standards and our laws and our principles.

    What if we have a situation where a person wants to be the lit fuse to explode the bomb and feels they know how to do it perfectly legally and within his rights?

    What is this an intentional effort to cause chaos and even possibly war?
    Well since we are talking about the US making a law against such speech, then it most certainly MUST be judged by our standards, our laws, and our principles. I can hardly be held accountable for actions of people half the globe away.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #282
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well since we are talking about the US making a law against such speech, then it most certainly MUST be judged by our standards, our laws, and our principles. I can hardly be held accountable for actions of people half the globe away.
    I am NOT endorsing any law against free speech. What I am asking if 99% of Americans are being played for suckers by a Machiavellian filmmaker with an extremist agenda of his own.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #283
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What about the individual who darn wells knows what he is doing and knows that there is a good chance such a reaction will happen and hopes for it?
    By making a film about a historical figure?

    Why do you despise the liberal notion of right to free speech and why do you wish to accommodate the demands of extreme right totalitarians?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #284
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    By making a film about a historical figure?

    Why do you despise the liberal notion of right to free speech and why do you wish to accommodate the demands of extreme right totalitarians?
    I do not on either count.

    Why do you not want to face the fact that you might be played for a chump or a sap in all this?

    Is it possible that this filmmaker darn wells knows what he is doing and knows that there is a good chance such a reaction will happen and hopes for it?

    Will you stand up and cheer as extremists like this create events to push us into war in the middle east? Will you enlist yourself or invest your son or daughter to defend their rights to make these films?
    Last edited by haymarket; 09-18-12 at 06:25 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #285
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post

    Why do you not want to face the fact that you might be played for a chump or a sap in all this?
    So, let me get this right -- some idiot fundie clerics thousands of miles away who have an agenda to create a totalitarian theocratic Islamist state get their primitive, inbred followers to riot over some stupid, obscure movie few of them have even seen, and so your response is to want to make us more like them by eliminating our ability to speak freely, thereby helping to fulfil their objective.

    and you think I'm the chump?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #286
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    So, let me get this right -- some idiot fundie clerics thousands of miles away who have an agenda to create a totalitarian theocratic Islamist state get their primitive, inbred followers to riot over some stupid, obscure movie few of them have even seen, and so your response is to want to make us more like them by eliminating our ability to speak freely, thereby helping to fulfil their objective.

    and you think I'm the chump?
    Yes - I think you are the prize chump of all time if you believe that is what I actually said. CHUMP in giant 200 foot letters carved into the side of a mountain. The problem is I never said it.

    I NEVER said I wanted to eliminate any of our freedoms. If you think I did please reproduce my exact words right now, right here.

    All I am trying to do here is get people to think beyond the first knee jerk reaction to this and face some deeper and far more disturbing possibilities that a zealot is attempting to manipulate us into disaster if we are not careful.
    Last edited by haymarket; 09-18-12 at 06:41 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #287
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Perhaps those on the left worried about limiting speech should consider this--Should the US make it against the law to be critical of fire and brimstone baptists? I ask this because the Old Testament is considered a part of the Islamic Doctrine so one could argue that Christianity cannot be criticized either if that were the law.

  8. #288
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Perhaps those on the left worried about limiting speech should consider this--Should the US make it against the law to be critical of fire and brimstone baptists? I ask this because the Old Testament is considered a part of the Islamic Doctrine so one could argue that Christianity cannot be criticized either if that were the law.
    That would never happen. People in this part of the world are comfortable with Christians, as western society is based on Judeo-Christian principles, and non-Christians are not afraid of Christians, as they identify with them and know how to deal with them. The problem is, people here are afraid of Muslims because they are not comfortable with them. People in this part of the world treat Muslims with kid gloves, because of the unpredictability factor, and because they dare not call Islamic practices what they are, lest they get threatened. They are cowards. Many westerners do not have the courage of their convictions when it comes to freedom. They will gladly give it up rather than face a threat against democratic principles with courage.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #289
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Yes - I think you are the prize chump of all time if you believe that is what I actually said. CHUMP in giant 200 foot letters carved into the side of a mountain. The problem is I never said it.

    I NEVER said I wanted to eliminate any of our freedoms. If you think I did please reproduce my exact words right now, right here.

    All I am trying to do here is get people to think beyond the first knee jerk reaction to this and face some deeper and far more disturbing possibilities that a zealot is attempting to manipulate us into disaster if we are not careful.
    Were you actually born yesterday, Haymarket, or does it just seem that way? THere are videos on youtube offensive to members of just about any group imagineable. There are videos offensive to Christians. There are videos offensive to Jews. There are videos offensive to scientologists and republicans and socialists and men and women and white people and black people and you name it. These videos were uploaded with the ful intent that they WOULD be offensive to people in many cases, but you don't care because you are not thinking about the issue here, but only reacting blindly because Islamists went on rampages. The only reason they did so was because this stupid, obscure little video was useful to their clerics in motivating them on the anniversary of 911.

    How ironic that you say you are trying to get people to think while reacting with not the slightest bit of reason or intelligence here.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #290
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    That would never happen. People in this part of the world are comfortable with Christians, as western society is based on Judeo-Christian principles, and non-Christians are not afraid of Christians, as they identify with them and know how to deal with them. The problem is, people here are afraid of Muslims because they are not comfortable with them. People in this part of the world treat Muslims with kid gloves, because of the unpredictability factor, and because they dare not call Islamic practices what they are, lest they get threatened. They are cowards. Many westerners do not have the courage of their convictions when it comes to freedom. They will gladly give it up rather than face a threat against democratic principles with courage.
    Speaking of cowardice, I find it interesting how there are so few who actually voted "yes" to the poll, but quite a few who are arguing against free speech in their actual statements, but who lack the courage of their convictions to be direct about it. Weasle words certainly abound here.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •