View Poll Results: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 3.20%
  • No

    209 95.43%
  • I don't know.

    3 1.37%
Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 720

Thread: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime? [W:636]

  1. #181
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Then would this also include those Religions that have come and gone? Moreover if you cannot have disparaging remarks. Then there should be no Glorifying Remarks either.....just as you cannot grow an Apple without it's Core.....Right?
    essentially keep your religion to yourself. Kind of like a don't ask don't tell type of thing. Bragging or building up certain religions only ends up causing trouble. We have the freedom of religion, so anybody is allowed to worship anything they please, and I support it. But Religion vs. Religion does not work and it only causes trouble. Don't talk about your religion, I won't talk about mine, I know what I believe and you have the right to believe whatever, but don't tell me I am wrong or that what you believe is better.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    essentially keep your religion to yourself. Kind of like a don't ask don't tell type of thing. Bragging or building up certain religions only ends up causing trouble. We have the freedom of religion, so anybody is allowed to worship anything they please, and I support it. But Religion vs. Religion does not work and it only causes trouble. Don't talk about your religion, I won't talk about mine, I know what I believe and you have the right to believe whatever, but don't tell me I am wrong or that what you believe is better.
    Lovely manners, lousy constitutional law.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    essentially keep your religion to yourself. Kind of like a don't ask don't tell type of thing. Bragging or building up certain religions only ends up causing trouble. We have the freedom of religion, so anybody is allowed to worship anything they please, and I support it. But Religion vs. Religion does not work and it only causes trouble. Don't talk about your religion, I won't talk about mine, I know what I believe and you have the right to believe whatever, but don't tell me I am wrong or that what you believe is better.
    What about religions that have come and gone? Would they be exempt? As Again, whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

  4. #184
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    What about religions that have come and gone? Would they be exempt? As Again, whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
    No religion comes and goes, just because it is not prominent does not mean that somebody out there does not still believe. I mean obviously it would be difficult to enforce and as Pinkie pointed out it would be fairly lousy as a law, but all current, former, and religions that might emerge in the future should be covered.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  5. #185
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    What about religions that have come and gone? .
    Which is the objective of the most aggressive religion out there -- to extinguish the others so that only one prevails.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    No religion comes and goes, just because it is not prominent does not mean that somebody out there does not still believe. I mean obviously it would be difficult to enforce and as Pinkie pointed out it would be fairly lousy as a law, but all current, former, and religions that might emerge in the future should be covered.
    I think thats what happened in the first place.....Ever wonder why the Sumerians who were the Second to to inhabit the ME as a Civilized Society and taught Enoch how to Write, ever wonder why what they stated about the Gods and the Creator. Was never taken as the Predominant Religion of it's Time?

    Which then if you censore Religion.....then you would also have to do so with all Meta-physical Concepts.

  7. #187
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    essentially keep your religion to yourself. Kind of like a don't ask don't tell type of thing. Bragging or building up certain religions only ends up causing trouble. We have the freedom of religion, so anybody is allowed to worship anything they please, and I support it. But Religion vs. Religion does not work and it only causes trouble. Don't talk about your religion, I won't talk about mine, I know what I believe and you have the right to believe whatever, but don't tell me I am wrong or that what you believe is better.
    Should someone retaliate against you because you discuss your religion that is considered a hate crime; beside being just plain nuts.

  8. #188
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,695

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I'm torn on this issue.

    On the one hand, free speech should be protected at all costs.

    However, when one's free speech is directly responsible for violence towards innocent people all over the world I do wonder if some responsibility for that rests with the "speaker"?

    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

    A joke about a bomb on an airplane?
    Making a verbal threat towards the president?
    Libel and slander?
    Conspiracy?

    Aren't those non-violent actions that result in criminal charges where one could easily argue freedom of speech?

    The d!ckwad that wrote and produced that stupid trash movie knew exactly what the outcome might be.
    We all know what might happen if we do the same thing.

    Now multiple people, who had nothing to do with the movie or the sentiment behind it, are dead.

    Why can't the people who made that movie be held accountable?

    Does my right to free speech supersede your right to live?

    The flip side of that is: If you know something is offensive - just ignore it and/or don't volunteer to witness it.

    Salman Rushdie should be able to write any book he chooses to write. People have the right not to buy it and not to read it. They can ignore it.

    I think intent and context go a long way in these kinds of issues.

    Was the movie simply hate speech designed to incite violence? If so, I see no reason that somebody should not be held responsible for their consequences.

    I can easily go back and forth on this.
    To me it's a simple proposition. Does one support rule of the mob or not?

    The reflexive response some have had is tantamount to mob rule. If that man is culpable to the attacks then the following would also be implicated:

    A Christian reads a popular blog that contains offensive material about the divinity of Jesus Christ. The man rallies himself or his friends up and they go on the streets looting, and smashing vehicles on the street, using the blog as a public reason for the disorder. The blogger is then apprehended and charged for inciting riot.

    It's quite simple. Yes, it is offensive, but you are in control of your own reaction. Just because you are offended does not mean you are granted the freedom to destroy property, attack a sovereign nation, or kill human beings. Furthermore, if one man's speech is somehow selectively picked for outrage, are any of us safe from the rule of a mob?
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 09-16-12 at 04:12 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Mohammed a Crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    To me it's a simple proposition. Does one support rule of the mob or not?

    The reflexive response some have had is tantamount to mob rule. If that man is culpable to the attacks then the following would also be implicated:

    A Christian reads a popular blog that contains offensive material about the divinity of Jesus Christ. The man rallies himself or his friends up and they go on the streets looting, and smashing vehicles on the street, using the blog as a public reason for the disorder. The blogger is then apprehended and charged for inciting riot.

    It's quite simple. Yes, it is offensive, but you are in control of your own reaction. Just because you are offended does not mean you are granted the freedom to destroy property, attack a sovereign nation, or kill human beings. Furthermore, if one man's speech is somehow selectively picked for outrage, are any of us safe from the rule of a mob?

    Well.....seems we know the Sunni Clerics do!

  10. #190
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,695

    Should The US Make Speech That's Critical or Disparaging of Muhammed a Crime?

    They sure seem to.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •