View Poll Results: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    96 80.00%
  • No

    24 20.00%
Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 451

Thread: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

  1. #351
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Oh, that's not spin. That's the facts. And show me the link to your Reid accusation, if you would.

    that's what everyone says about their spin. " no, they're facts!".. uh huh.. sure thing

    read any article on the matter, every one of them has Harry setting it aside because he said it doesn't have the votes in the Senate and he wanted to bring it up in an infrastructure bill... which never happened.
    the obama administration wanted to tackle it during their proposed comprehensive tax reform... which also never happened.

    Harry sets the agenda ... Harry decided not to include the bill in his agenda.... that's just the way the chips fell.

  2. #352
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Corporations rarely pay taxes..... they have too many deductions and loopholes.... but I think a progressive tax would be ideal..

    Say some ceiling of 300k paying 10% across the board and everyone above that paying 20%..

    Of course it would never happen.. with 8,000 pages of tax code, special interests exemptions are the name of the game and gives idiot politicians their power.
    I like the idea, but agree with your conclusion. Big money pours into laws. And only the rich have the big money.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  3. #353
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    that's what everyone says about their spin. " no, they're facts!".. uh huh.. sure thing

    read any article on the matter, every one of them has Harry setting it aside because he said it doesn't have the votes in the Senate and he wanted to bring it up in an infrastructure bill... which never happened.
    the obama administration wanted to tackle it during their proposed comprehensive tax reform... which also never happened.

    Harry sets the agenda ... Harry decided not to include the bill in his agenda.... that's just the way the chips fell.
    I provided you with facts. So far, you're the only one spinning. Again, facts on your accusations about Reid, please.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  4. #354
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fruityfact View Post
    Great argument..bravo turtle i expect nothing less from ya.
    Anyways i'm not advocating for tax rates like that anyways.
    The point being that our current tax bracket is LOW..trickle down itself was redistribution of wealth
    how is that? only if you think the money the rich have belongs to the government can you spew such nonsense.

    Any taxes the rich pay above what average citizens pay is clearly redistribution

  5. #355
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,122

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    You speak as if there is only a fixed supply of money, rather than the reality that wealth is produced.
    Not completely true: Some wealth is produced; some is taken. There are plenty of win-win economic scenarios and plenty of zero-sum game economic scenarios. Wealth is usually created around innovation and the fruitful economic activities that contribute to or facilitate that innovation. OTH, activities that deal largely with arbitrage are generally (there are exceptions) zero sum games....

  6. #356
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Try not to respond within my quotations, Muddy Creek.

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyCreek
    How do you figure? IF insurance companies have NO regulation, they STILL have to have consumers.
    And if they price their own consumers out of the insurance pool, that's called an insurance death spiral, and the companies fold. That's a GOOD thing ultimately, because we don't want failed business models lingering on and on as people get poorer and poorer. The mandate chains us to the rails of the sinking ship.

    Foodstamps have expanded due to republcian slashing of government jobs.
    Non sequitur. There is nothing necessarily relating these two things. We can expand/extend food stamps or we can end/cut back on them independently of what's going on in the labor markets. But that's not even the point. The point is that Obama appoints Big Ag / biotechnology insiders to key posts within his administration and regulatory agencies. The foxes guard the henhouses in Obama's administration. THAT is the point. Don't move the goalposts. Biotech executives do not help the middle classes, and food stamps don't either. The middle class pays for all that ****.

    Bush and Henry Paulson, his Treasury Secretary...
    We're not talking about them. Stop moving the goalposts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    [B]You on the right can't have it both ways. FIRST, you want government OUT of our lives...NO regulation on wages and health insurance and safety on the job.
    Who the **** was talking about eliminating basic safety provisions in this thread? Who in this thread has advocated for zero regulations by government whatsoever?

    THEN you say the GOVERNMENT doesn't create jobs,
    It doesn't, except by subtracting money from somewhere else to give people something to do.

    Now you say you blame Obama for NOT doing enough for the middle class
    No, that is not why I criticize Obama. He doesn't need to do anything for the middle class. He needs to STOP doing so many favors for the rich and the poor and forcing the middle classes to pay for them.


    You are impossible to debate with, NOT because you make any good points, but because you jump all over the place, bringing up past administrations and partisan irrelevancies about Republicans. My comments are about Obama and how his stated policies differ from the effects of his actual policies. You keep trying to move the target off of Obama, distract from what I'm saying, because you don't want to own up to the crony bull**** Obama is doing that so closely resembles the crony bull**** the Bush Admin. pulled on us.

  7. #357
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,122

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    how is that? only if you think the money the rich have belongs to the government can you spew such nonsense.

    Any taxes the rich pay above what average citizens pay is clearly redistribution
    Its arguably redistribution. The progressive tax system we have is designed NOT to tax gross income; but to tax discretionary income. It is also designed to do so in a way that applies equal pain across the various income groups.

    Unfortunately, the progressive system is only on paper. Our efforts to roll-back the highest marginal tax rates over the past 30 years has created a de facto flat tax; which is pretty regressive. It has also created a re-distribution of wealth the favors the most wealthy (Capital is taxed at up to 50% of the tax imposed on labor; business owners, with low tax rates are incented to pay themselves rather than re-invest in their businesses)

    Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?-taxes-paid-income-group2-jpg
    Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?-top-1-vs-marginal-tax-rates-jpg

  8. #358
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    I notice you also forgot to include this:



    and this:




    So, it looks like as we slashed marginal tax rates, revenue held generally steady while the burden on the top 1% increased. Huh, odd, that.

  9. #359
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,802

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post

    So, it looks like as we slashed marginal tax rates, revenue held generally steady while the burden on the top 1% increased. Huh, odd, that.
    The only way revenue stays steady is if...wait for it..taxes are gained from somewhere else-hence more burden on everyone but those in the top bracket.
    Men do what they have to when they want to, Great men do what they have to, even when they don't want to.

  10. #360
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fruityfact View Post
    The only way revenue stays steady is if...wait for it..taxes are gained from somewhere else-hence more burden on everyone but those in the top bracket.
    That is incorrect - as is demonstrated by the increase in the portion of the federal tax burden that is paid by the top 1%





    Marginal rates actually have very little direct impact on revenue.

Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •