View Poll Results: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    96 80.00%
  • No

    24 20.00%
Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 451

Thread: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

  1. #171
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    yes.. the minute you gave out a transfer payment, it becomes a wealth redistribution.

    and now i'm beginning to see your confusion.... you equate keeping your own money to someone giving you someone elses money.
    end result might be the same( you got mo money in he bank), but the means are vastly different.
    Alright, as long as we're in agreement that the end result is the same I'm satisfied. Semantics isn't an argument I care for. I don't care if I pay $90,000 in taxes or pay $100,000 in taxes and get a $10,000 payment. No difference at all regardless of terminology.

  2. #172
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by vvx View Post
    Alright, as long as we're in agreement that the end result is the same I'm satisfied. Semantics isn't an argument I care for. I don't care if I pay $90,000 in taxes or pay $100,000 in taxes and get a $10,000 payment. No difference at all regardless of terminology.
    the difference between our terminologies is not one of semantics.. it's one of very different definitions.

    if I call a banana an apple.. you can't say " well, they are both fruits, so you are right, it's just semantics anyways"

    werds' gots' meanins'

  3. #173
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by vvx View Post
    You can say that over and over. But let's face it. If we start with say, a marginal tax rate on income at $1 million of 25% and then reduce it for half the people to 15% and increase on the other half to 35% you're moving money around, even though you've only manipulated tax rates.
    no you aren't. you are simply taking less from one location and taking more from another. no money has been moved in this scenario except in the direction it always has been: from the taxpayers to you.

    Let's say two people both make at least $1.1 million. We tax income at $1 million to $1.1 million at 25% starting off. So both will pay 25%, or $25,000 for the year on that $100,000. Now let's split it, we'll tax person A at 15% and person B at 35%. Now person A pays $15,000 and person B pays $35,000. How on earth can you not consider this taking $10,000 from person B and giving it to person A?
    because in no way does the government give Person A $20,000. They just took $20K less.

  4. #174
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    because in no way does the government give Person A $20,000. They just took $20K less.
    And yet, the out come is the same. If we reduce Bill's taxes and increase Bob's such that for the same income Bob pays $20,000 more than Bill it's no different than if we just increased Bob's income tax by $10,000 and gave that $10,000 through some government handout to Bill. At least as far as the dollars are concerned. Whether an actual government program was involved - I guess it matters to some. "Government handout" has a negative sound to it for sure. To me, I'm just looking at the end result and the end result is the same.

  5. #175
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by vvx View Post
    And yet, the out come is the same.
    there are lots of ways that person A ends up with more money. however redistribution has not taken place.

    If we reduce Bill's taxes and increase Bob's such that for the same income Bob pays $20,000 more than Bill it's no different than if we just increased Bob's income tax by $10,000 and gave that $10,000 through some government handout to Bill. At least as far as the dollars are concerned.
    given that incentive structures alter behavior, that is sadly not as safe an assumption as you might think.

    Whether an actual government program was involved - I guess it matters to some. "Government handout" has a negative sound to it for sure. To me, I'm just looking at the end result and the end result is the same.
    no, there is a vital distinction between me giving something to you and me taking less from you. To claim interchangeability is to apply the implicit assumption that everything that is yours belongs rightfully to me in the first place.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    As Captain Kaiser used to say," I wouldn't have nothing I could'nt feel sometime."

    Money in money out, it's still money regardless of how it winds up in different people's pockets. It's a fact. Read the statistics. It proves the old adage that, " the rich get richer and the poor get poorer."

  7. #177
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    And the companies spend the money to pay their workers. It's called the economy.

    (
    You mean companies spend money on issuing dividends and CEO bonuses
    Workers wages and conditions have been pushed towards the sewer
    It's a race to the bottom for the average worker
    And of course, we know what US corporations mean by paying workers, they mean workers in third world countries were the wages are so low, you can't even see them

  8. #178
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    yes.. no matter how many time I say something factual and accurate... you will believe the opposite.

    we know.


    tax cuts are never wealth redistribution... please learn the definition of the terms you are attempting to argue.. please.
    I can't help it if you are wrong. Wealth is "redistributed" WHENEVER you change the tax rate....whether its a tax increase or a tax cut. Sorry that the facts just don't mesh with your talking points. That's the problem with the right-wing......the facts are rarely if ever on your side.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #179
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    What's to stop a group of people from manipulating things to their advantage and essentially rob people of their hard work. Some CEO's do terrible jobs, lose the company money, and still get payed bonuses care to explain how the "free market" is fair there?
    Now you are talking about unions, not the employers.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    you have that backward, imho.
    You're looking at it in a mirror. Try looking at it straight on.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #180
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Do you think Obama wants to redistribute wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I can't help it if you are wrong. Wealth is "redistributed" WHENEVER you change the tax rate....

    that is incorrect. although I like how you label your complete denial of objective reality a "fact". In order to REdistribute something, you first have to take it so that you can distribute it again. Money never taken cannot thus be redistributed.

Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •